Europa Conference League Thread | Vital Football

Europa Conference League Thread

Matic

Alert Team
Welcome...

...my fellow yiddos, to the Europa Conference League thread for the 2021/22 season.
This thread will remain stuck for our entire ECL journey so please keep all relevant discussions in here. I will also be producing 'Scouting Threads' at the start of a game week. In these threads there will be information about our opponents so you can get yourselves acquainted with some of the more unknown teams around our continent. I will also continue to update this opening post, on this thread, with our progress.

The Competition Format

To start with there are 3 qualifying rounds, each played over 2 legs. We can mostly ignore these.

We enter into the competition at the Play-off round and we find out who our first opponents are on the 2nd Aug. This round will consist of 2 legs and the winner will proceed to the group stages.

There will be eight groups of four teams, followed by knockout round play-offs, the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final.

The eight group winners automatically go through to the last 16. Additional knockout round play-offs will then be played before the round of 16, between the eight group runners-up and the third-ranked teams of the UEFA Europa League groups. As if UEFA comps weren't convoluted enough.

The Final

To be held at the Arena Kombëtare, officially known as the Air Albania Stadium, in Albania's capitol city, Tirana. It's a 22,500 capacity ground owned by the Albania FA. It opened in 2019 so its brand-spankers.

EoUzWZfWMAIXpEO

Key Teams

There are plenty of names you will recognise but the obvious big names are us, Roma, Rennes, Trabzonspor, LASK, Anderlecht, PAOK, Rubin and Basel. You may recognise a lot of them if you played Football Manager games in the mid-90's.

The Dosh

Each of the 32 qualifying teams will be guaranteed €3million.

Each group stage victory will be worth €500,000, with a draw seeing a club earn €166,000. Finishing top of the group sees a club pocket €650,000, and second place €325,000.

Reaching the last-16 offers a further €9.6million, the quarter-finals €10.6 million, the semi-finals €12.5 million and the final will result in teams pocketing €15.5 million.

This is not cumulative, it is incremental i.e - Spurs will have earned a total of €15.5m IF they reach the final. If they only reach the last 16 they will have earned €9.6million.

The Fixtures

Aug 19 - 19:30 KO - Playoff Round 1st Leg
FC Pacos de Ferreira (POR) 1 Vs Spurs 0
Aug 26 - 19:30 KO - Playoff Round 2nd Leg
Spurs 3 Vs FC Pacos de Ferreira (POR) 0

Sept 16 - 17:45 KO - Group Stage Match 1
Stade Rennais (FRA) Vs Spurs

Sept 30 - 20:00 KO - Group Stage Match 2
Spurs Vs NS Mura (SLO)

Oct 21 - 17:45 KO - Group Stage Match 3
Vitesse (HOL) Vs Spurs

Nov 4 - 20:00 KO - Group Stage Match 4
Spurs Vs Vitesse (HOL)

Nov 25 - 17:45 KO - Group Stage Match 5
NS Mura (SLO) Vs Spurs

Dec 9 - 20:00 KO - Group Stage Match 6
Spurs Vs Stade Rennais (FRA)

-----------------------------------
That's all for now. I will update as soon as we know our first opponents! COYS!

Last edited:
The prize money for European football's newest competition - the UEFA Europa Conference League - has been revealed.

Everything about the third-tier competition was already in the open, bar how much qualifying clubs stood to make from it.

Each of the 32 qualifying teams will be guaranteed €3million. By contrast, qualification for the group stage of the Europa League earns a club €3.63million, and the Champions League in excess of €15million - up €390,000 on 2020/21.

However, there are three qualifying rounds to reach the group stage of the Conference League.

Tottenham, Roma and Union Berlin are among those entering at the third playoff round.

Each group stage victory will be worth €500,000, with a draw seeing a club earn €166,000. Finishing top of the group sees a club pocket €650,000, and second place €325,000.

Reaching the last-16 offers a further €9.6million, the quarter-finals €10.6 million, the semi-finals €12.5 million and the final will result in teams pocketing €15.5 million.

Last edited:
I have to say, I love the idea of meeting Jose in the final - assuming he hasn't been sacked or walked by then!

Although, I'm sure there will be the danger of a few banana skins here..

So if we win it , we could receive approx 50 mil just in prize money. On top of that gate revenue and TV money ?

Good thread and info guys. I still can't help but feel however that we really would be better off not being involved in this nonsense, unless we use it as a vehicle to give our youngsters the opportunity to develop their potential.

So if we win it , we could receive approx 50 mil just in prize money. On top of that gate revenue and TV money ?
That's how I read it. Not to be sniffed at.
I understood the €15.5 million was the total amount that could be won. So getting to the final earns an additional €3 million to the €12.5 million won by reaching the semis. So Ex's figures represent an incremental increase each round a club progresses rather than the total amount being won each round. I may be wrong. If I am it's certainly a competition to be taken seriously financially.

Good thread and info guys. I still can't help but feel however that we really would be better off not being involved in this nonsense, unless we use it as a vehicle to give our youngsters the opportunity to develop their potential.

Thinking back to Mason's 7 games in charge, he didn't use much more than 15/16 players for a game a week routine.

Whether you have 25 senior pro's or a higher ratio of kids, they'll all want to get some pitch time.

I think we ultimately need to see our main 8 or 9 players never leave the country and we'll be OK.

If we play our kids in this we could go out at our entry phase which is the group stage play off level. So our opponents could already have been winners in the competition. Once in the group stage if we get there, 10 Europa League drop outs come in, so from a potentially higher level of football.
I don't think the kids will cut it. What we need is a decent squad to compete in this.

I understood the €15.5 million was the total amount that could be won. So getting to the final earns an additional €3 million to the €12.5 million won by reaching the semis. So Ex's figures represent an incremental increase each round a club progresses rather than the total amount being won each round. I may be wrong. If I am it's certainly a competition to be taken seriously financially.

Clarification please Ex.

And what is our total potential revenue encompassing all financial streams for the competition ? Will we be playing 6 or 7 home legs maybe ?

I
Welcome...

...my fellow yiddos, to the Europa Conference League thread for the 2021/22 season.
This thread will remain stuck for our entire ECL journey so please keep all relevant discussions in here. I will also be producing 'Scouting Threads' at the start of a game week. In these threads there will be information about our opponents so you can get yourselves acquainted with some of the more unknown teams around our continent. I will also continue to update this opening post, on this thread, with our progress.

The Competition Format

To start with there are 3 qualifying rounds, each played over 2 legs. We can mostly ignore these.

We enter into the competition at the Play-off round and we find out who our first opponents are on the 2nd Aug. This round will consist of 2 legs and the winner will proceed to the group stages.

There will be eight groups of four teams, followed by knockout round play-offs, the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final.

The eight group winners automatically go through to the last 16. Additional knockout round play-offs will then be played before the round of 16, between the eight group runners-up and the third-ranked teams of the UEFA Europa League groups. As if UEFA comps weren't convoluted enough.

The Final

To be held at the Arena Kombëtare, officially known as the Air Albania Stadium, in Albania's capitol city, Tirana. It's a 22,500 capacity ground owned by the Albania FA. It opened in 2019 so its brand-spankers.

EoUzWZfWMAIXpEO

Key Teams

There are plenty of names you will recognise but the obvious big names are us, Roma, Rennes, Trabzonspor, LASK, Anderlecht, PAOK, Rubin and Basel. You may recognise a lot of them if you played Football Manager games in the mid-90's.

That's all for now. I will update as soon as we know our first opponents! COYS!
Thanks Matic , that is absolutely brilliant .
It’s exactly what we need on here .

I think your ‘job’ is going to be the most difficult , especially in the group stage .

Be sure to add , IMO , after every post though , you don’t want to get the blame when we get outplayed !! As if !

Thanks again Matic , well done mate .

You are right, it is the total amount that could be won.

Sorry, didn't think anyone would jump to the conclusion it was cumulative for their third tier competition!

I just think we need to play a strong team in August to make sure we get through to the league format. After that, there are 6 games that our peripheral squad players and kids need to manage. If they don't, then that is OK. We'll just leverage the loan system to get the kids moved out for the second half of the season.

The PL and domestic cups need to be our priority as they are in the domestic football calendar.

You are right, it is the total amount that could be won.

Sorry, didn't think anyone would jump to the conclusion it was cumulative for their third tier competition!

I have recalculated to 17,240,000 if we win it. But I am not confident of my wotkings out. I would like to know what tv money and stadium revenue we are forecasting to receive.