EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 659 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Who would vote to be worse off? Of course we don't know that we will be worse off. Its a risk based decision. Its literally deal or no deal with noel edmonds - we've chosen to pick the mystery box and see whats in it rather than settle on 32K.

So I agree. No extension lets start as an independent nation on WTO terms and lets hope for the benefit of those most in need that the cost of essentials are still affordable.

The more well off can swallow the increased cost of living . Its those struggling that I would be concerned for.

Personally I will be fine, work in an industry with little impact of Brexit, kids remain EU citizens so retain the choice and I am in a healthy financial position due to my age . Its not about me though its about the UK population as a whole.

Only time will tell how it affects everyone else.

Time move on though and it pains me to says it but time to get it done.
But why assume an "increased cost of living" ?
Why not a "reduced cost of living" ?

The long list of tariff-reductions post-Brexit has been posted on this forum.

And in a few years time .... if the Government comes round to controlling all immigration
.... then house prices have the chance of stabilising.
(Surely housing costs are one of the biggest burdens on poorer people ?)

Personally I don't think many people will notice much difference in the short term.
But no doubt there will some particular item that makes headlines.

Last edited:
Would you say the same if it cost you your job?
Plenty of people - whether bad bosses or political critics will jump at the chance to blame Brexit for a particular job loss.

When new, different jobs are created, will we be allowed to hear that they were created "due to Brexit" ?:oops:

.... "Get Brexit Done".

the fact that no one knows what the means appeared to be irrelevant to the electorate..
Please can we drop this myth.:(
It seems that only Remainers "don't know what Brexit means" ... and it doesn't seem to matter how many times others explain (e.g. Shotshy and GBN in the last couple of pages of this thread), we still get the same old.....

The only thing guaranteed is that when an agreement is finally reached, the Mail and Express will report it as a U.K. victory and the Independent and Guardian will report as a total U.K. capitulation.
The truth is somewhere in the middle, I expect

Please can we drop this myth.:(
It seems that only Remainers "don't know what Brexit means" ... and it doesn't seem to matter how many times others explain (e.g. Shotshy and GBN in the last couple of pages of this thread), we still get the same old.....

Tarian - can you share the deal that has been AGREED and SIGNED with the EU then ? Please also make sure you let Barnier and Frost know as well so they can stop negotiating.

But why assume an "increased cost of living" ?
Why not a "reduced cost of living" ?

I believe I addressed your point in the statement "Of course we don't know that we will be worse off."

If we end up better off after Brexit I will shake your hand with pleasure (post-COVID of course)

Tarian - can you share the deal that has been AGREED and SIGNED with the EU then ? Please also make sure you let Barnier and Frost know as well so they can stop negotiating.
AS YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW........:rolleyes:

No "deal" with the EU has ever defined "Brexit" as far as Leavers are concerned.
In fact a "deal" with the EU is a complete irrelevance for the purpose of Brexit.#

The only "Brexit" that matters is one where a UK Government, elected by the people of these islands makes our laws - for good or ill.

The MPs that make those laws, however incompetent, duplicitous or otherwise poor are "ours" to put up with - or get rid of.

From time to time, we expect our Government to make "deals" (or treaties) with other countries - for mutual benefit.

They should contain definitions, specify remits and limitations. They may specify duties and obligations - that are mutual, not one-sided.
They should include independent dispute-resolution.
But above all else, they should have break-clauses .... like any other "contract".

We do not expect a Treaty to be "self-amending":
- to extend to matters not explicitly agreed beforehand
- to permit over-reach into internal matters
- or being incapable of being approved or rejected by our law-makers.

I short, a Free Trade Deal with the EU might be "nice to have" - but it does not define Brexit.

(If any Leaver wants to add their own pennyworth, feel free.)

#..unless it manages to go counter to the principles of being an independent, sovereign nation.

I believe I addressed your point in the statement "Of course we don't know that we will be worse off."

If we end up better off after Brexit I will shake your hand with pleasure (post-COVID of course)
Yes, you did qualify that - so fair enough.

(But getting a "defence" in early...... ;))
Covid seems likely to have made more difficult, meaningful or unarguable comparisons.

Should we be looking forward to 2022 (?) and debating whether A.Disappointment has anything to do with Brexit (sigh) ?

I wouldn't be surprised to see post #20,000 pointing to pluses or minuses (however tenuous their link with Brexit.)

Last edited:
AS YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW........:rolleyes:

No "deal" with the EU has ever defined "Brexit" as far as Leavers are concerned.
In fact a "deal" with the EU is a complete irrelevance for the purpose of Brexit.#

No consideration of the continuation of supply of foods or medicines that we import from the EU then?

Blimey you brexiteers are cavilair.

Sorry you are dieing Doris but at least you got your nice blue passport.

I am glad we get to make our own laws though. I bet they will be totally different to the ones over there!

No consideration of the continuation of supply of foods or medicines that we import from the EU then?

Strange. We are not in the EU any more and we have not concluded a deal and yet I have not noticed any supply problems.

Maybe slight delays but a bit of forward planning can resolve that.

Last edited:
I am glad we get to make our own laws though. I bet they will be totally different to the ones over there!

Within a few years they will be. As some of the EU laws were created back in the days when there were not so many thousand and we had more of a say, they will suit us and be kept.

Those created at the behest of the likes of Malta or Bulgaria in the last few years or pushed by France and Germany as they became the big voices, less likely to stay. Plus, we don't do "directives".

Last edited:
Strange. We are not in the EU any more and we have not concluded a deal and yet I have not noticed any supply problems.

Maybe slight delays but a bit of forward planning can resolve that.
There are currently no changes to custom arrangements so of course you have not noticed a difference.

Plus, we don't do "directives".

I'm quite a fan of directives - always good to ensure that in a world of cost cutting that minimum standards are legally enforceable.

I am sure that the UK government will have similar standards for the two examples below but just pointing out that sometimes its useful to have someone ensure that all governments are required to do the right thing.

Directive 2008/50/EC - Air Quality - I like clean fresh air, less keen on the air quality in parts of China as an example.

Directive 98/83/EC - Drinking Water - Always keen to know that my drinking water must meet legal levels of safety.

As a silly example this ensures that a neighbouring country cannot pollute the air of another country through industrial practices. I wonder which way the prevailing winds from the EU to the UK are ?

Directive 2008/50/EC - Air Quality - I like clean fresh air, less keen on the air quality in parts of China as an example.

A lot of air quality problems are caused by dense population areas, hence why London was nicknamed the smoke, so not sure that China is a fair comparison.

Also, Bozza bringing forward the abolition of "dirty fuel" diesel cars to 2030 shows a promising trend on that front. I don't think he called that a directive.

Only way out of that is to build more and tax the arse out of those people who buy up all the new developments and leave them empty as investments.
Why do so many people concerned about the cost of housing decline to mention the number of people entering the country and adding to demand for housing ?

Last edited:
Might be the transition period - you know where nothing has actually changed - Yet.

But there have been lots of tests and dry runs where lorries have been intentionally delayed so I am pretty confident that we have all bases covered providing business leaders undertake the planning they are paid for.

Blimey you brexiteers are cavilair.

Sorry you are dieing Doris but at least you got your nice blue passport.

How is Trade being separated from who governs the UK, "cavalier" ?

Which UK Govt Minister would interrupt the supply of incoming medicines - and why ?????

With ASEAN making progress, do you see it going beyond trade matters? (tariffs, customs procedures etc)

Is there any sign of ASEAN trying to impose laws on the internal workings of any ASEAN member ?

Does CETA (EU / Canada) allow the EU to impose laws internal to Canada ?

Last edited: