England vs Belgium June 28th, 2018 | Vital Football

England vs Belgium June 28th, 2018

D

Departed

Agrre with most. Dier for Sterling. Or Dier for Henderson.

Dier for Henderson. Rashford for Sterling .
Have concerns for Walker at RCB as well. He is ok when not under pressure, which is not going to be the case against Belgium . We have better CBs , let's use them

Mine would be

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire
Trippier, Dier, Henderson, Rose
Lingard, Rashford
Kane

I would leave Dele rested whilst giving Rose, Dier and Rashford a run out.

Progressing in a football tournament is about using all your squad - we've got to make mass changes for this; I'd push Walker to RWb, where his blistering speed and his recovery ability can help deal with Hazard (if he plays) and drop in Dier at the right side of defence.

Drop Trips to the bench (he'll need the recovery), drop Young, start Rose.

Start Butland, start Cahill, start Vardy and Welbeck. Rashford, start
Loftus-Cheek, Alexander-Arnold (if Walker doesn't start).

Basically, start a whole new 11, work to the same system and take the result good or bad, with a pinch of salt.

That way, you protect you starting 11 for the next big game and get everyone else ready, willing and able to make an impact when/if called upon...

Progressing in a football tournament is about using all your squad - we've got to make mass changes for this; I'd push Walker to RWb, where his blistering speed and his recovery ability can help deal with Hazard (if he plays) and drop in Dier at the right side of defence.

Drop Trips to the bench (he'll need the recovery), drop Young, start Rose.

Start Butland, start Cahill, start Vardy and Welbeck. Rashford, start
Loftus-Cheek, Alexander-Arnold (if Walker doesn't start).

Basically, start a whole new 11, work to the same system and take the result good or bad, with a pinch of salt.

That way, you protect you starting 11 for the next big game and get everyone else ready, willing and able to make an impact when/if called upon...
I tend to agree with the principle. Belgium will have the same quandary.

It's being said that Belguim are planning 10 changes; it wouldn't surprise me that we do the same, with neither side taking big chances to win the game..

Would be great to see both teams play their best 11 and see who comes out on top. This game in the knock out stages would be awesome.

But would be silly not to take advantage of playing some fresh players.

Butland

Alexander-Arnold

Walker
Cahill
Stones

Rose

Dier
RLC

Lingard
Rashford

Kane.

Seeing that France v Denmark produced a borefest, I expect this game to replicate that. Instructions will be no bookings, no injuries, enjoy the occasion. 0-0.... unless one team wants to choose the 'easier' route (avoiding the big guns), though I must admit there's been no standout team thus far..

Seeing that France v Denmark produced a borefest, I expect this game to replicate that. Instructions will be no bookings, no injuries, enjoy the occasion. 0-0.... unless one team wants to choose the 'easier' route (avoiding the big guns), though I must admit there's been no standout team thus far..

I honestly don't see that happening.

Dier for Walker
Either Walker or Tripps on the Right Wing. (Tripps delivery gives him the edge in my mind, unless he needs a rest)
Rashford for Cheeks (Let Deli rest if he still needs it)

I honestly have not been impressed by Henderson at all. In my opinion his impact on the matches have been minimal. So I would replace him with whoever we have that can slot in.

If he picks Harry , there is no way in the world he will be taking it easy, never in his wildest nightmares would he not be busting a gut for a goal

It's a difficult one for Southgate, on the one hand just keep picking the best available 11 or try to keep the squad involved by giving some a run out ?
I'm of the opinion that you always play your strongest team to win the game . No way in the world should any tinkering be going on . This is the World Cup . If I was the captain of the the World Cup squad , leading scorer in the tournament , and didn't get picked after all the work I had done to get into that position , just to give someone else a run out, I would go 'kin mental . Just the same if I was the first choice right back in a winning team ,busting a gut , winning rave reviews .
Of course it would be different if you were getting marked lower than anybody on the the opposition team that you had just beaten 6-1 . Offering nothing , playing poorly . Southgate cannot afford passengers .
I like Southgate,s attitude , his honesty . Now he has to show his fortitude and tactical awareness .
Play the best team ,play to win , top the group and take on whoever is put up against you .

You lose impetus if treat the game as a run around...but it is sensible to put in a few who have yet to play..e.g Cahill for Mcguire, Dier for Henderson and give Rose a full game. Harry simply must play as captain as his desire to score the most goals is so so impressive and must be supported.

You lose impetus if treat the game as a run around...but it is sensible to put in a few who have yet to play..e.g Cahill for Mcguire, Dier for Henderson and give Rose a full game. Harry simply must play as captain as his desire to score the most goals is so so impressive and must be supported.

Agree in principle. Not on some of the player choices. However, this is a confidence builder and a good Test to see how prepared the team is for the next round. And Martinez ain’t that bright. So beating him should be a priority.

Southgate so far may not have been playing what he thought was his best 11. Certain positions were border line anyway but others have underperformed perhaps.

Rose instead of Young , Vardy for Sterling, Cahill for Walker, Dier for Henderson could all have a case .

Another keeper won't hurt, they are all pretty close on ability.

I don't see it as a result important game especially given the choice of last 16 waiting for us. More beneficial to get players included and assessed.

Nothing prepares players better, then getting match time into your legs and head.

This result does not matter, irrespective of winning or losing - having your best ready, willing and able to step up can make the difference between progressing in a tournament or going out - I'd lay money on both managers knowing this and acting accordingly.

Momentum is irelevant when the game means nothing.

Change all 11 please Gareth.