EFL Policy of new managers | Page 2 | Vital Football

EFL Policy of new managers

What does need saying though is the real lack of British Asians in football.
There are a few non league clubs which aim to represent various Asian communities but in the professional game, there are so so few Asian players and probably zero coaches.
That does badly need addressing.
Again, they probably just aren't good enough!
Why does the lack of something have to mean there is some social injustice!?

I cannot see the point of these proposals. If someone is good enough they will get the job irrespective of their ethnicity.Indeed while there maybe less BAME football managers relative to their population,the complete opposite is true when you look at BAME players. Why that should be I have no idea-perhaps it can be explained by mean reversion ?

It’s also highly relevant that for every manager vacancy there has to be a person with a beard make the short list. I can’t believe so many thought DC to WBA was genuine, it was a ruse to satisfy the PC bollox brigade.

Here we go again. Why not post on Ukip forums or something instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot see the point of these proposals. If someone is good enough they will get the job irrespective of their ethnicity.

You see the glaring assumption you've made there?

So you're what you're essentially saying is that black managers just aren't good enough, precisely because of the colour of their skin.

Oh i agree. And didn't suggest anything about injustice. Its more about culture.
There's obviously a very large number of black footballers in football but within the Asian communities it would seem there is little involvement in football. Really not sure why.

By the way, this is a copy of the policy they have in the NFL, known as the Rooney Rule, and there have been several black coaches hired since its introduction in 2003. Now, it might not be a direct correllation, but how can encouragement to address what is obvioously an imbalance be seen as a bad thing?

To dismiss this by saying "maybe its because black/minority candidates aren't good enough" is to say that they are, by their race, not as talented as white candidates. There's more than a shitload of wrong in that sentence. Okay then, let's try this, and let's see if that's right. I don't see the harm in the experiment.

And it's ridiculous to suggest that we should just carry on as we always have, to not try - if we always did that, it would still be illegal to be gay, women wouldn't be allowed bank accounts, and the Tories would still promise they'd make sure you don't have a "*****r for a neighbour".

Don't think it's at that level? Well, maybe not, but it is precisely these kind of changes in society that have allowed us to address "lesser issues".

Oh i agree. And didn't suggest anything about injustice. Its more about culture.
There's obviously a very large number of black footballers in football but within the Asian communities it would seem there is little involvement in football. Really not sure why.
I know you were pointing out something rather than complaining about it. The whole crap of all this, inside and outside of sport, just gets on my tits. Much like those that said "exterminate the vermin" meant somebody wanted to murder all MK Done supporters, it's just ridiculous. Too many people are waiting for a chance to be outraged about some failing in society, so that they can show how sensitive they are to those they perceive as veing sinned against.
I work with a few Asian lads, they don't really like football. I'm not going to generalise that this is because cricket is their game. That would be a little naughty. Maybe they don't get opportunities, but I doubt it's because of where their origins are or their skin colour. The cash generating wagon that is football won't care one jot about that.

Last edited:
You see the glaring assumption you've made there?

So you're what you're essentially saying is that black managers just aren't good enough, precisely because of the colour of their skin.
No, and you know I'm not. I'm saying that the board thought someone else better matched what they needed, regardless of colour and origins.
The next City manager, should we not interview a white British man and employ someone from an ethnic minority to ensure we do our bit to turn around this trend, regardless of their abilities as perceived by Clive and Co.?

I believe you have used the word that explains why so few Asians go into football. Culture. Culturally they are more likely to head to the cricket pitch than the football pitch. Players of Asian origin have represented England at Cricket, I can't think of an Asian player off the top of my head let alone making it to the national football side.

Talking about assumptions are there any stats on this, ratios etc within the game and compared to the general population? My guess is they would back the gerneal view up but it's very easy to say there are plenty of black players and not managers but every team there is a squad of 23-30+ players whilst only 1 manager so in terms of visibility it is always going to be difficult to make an informed judgement. Also how many coaches or assistants are black as well?
It would also be interesting to see how those stats have been historically, ie has the ratio of players going up been matched by coaches/managers over the years?

I believe you have used the word that explains why so few Asians go into football. Culture. Culturally they are more likely to head to the cricket pitch than the football pitch. Players of Asian origin have represented England at Cricket, I can't think of an Asian player off the top of my head let alone making it to the national football side.

Of course there is a big football culture in Japan/Korea/Malaysia/Thailand. China growing too.
And quite a lot of players from those countries making it at the top level now.
And as the Middle East is technically in Asia too, plenty of football there.
It's in the India and Pakistan area that football is really struggling to take hold it seems.
Although did anyone else see the brilliant programme this week on BBC4 - Real Kashmir FC ?
A fantastic documentary on Scottish manager, Davie Robertson, who has gone out to the war zone that is Kashmir, to manage their first ever professional football club, playing in the Indian League.
At least it shows India does now have a professional football league. It's most likely a very much poorer relative of the massive Indian Cricket League but hopefully it can develop and grow overtime. And maybe one day India can reach the Football World Cup.
That it turn will surely change the culture in British asian communities.
Hopefully !

Was Campbell ever given interviews before macc? I always remember him saying he could cut it.

A lot of other ex-pros e.g. Lampard and Keane never had to start low - but wether that is due to how they performed in interview or not is the question.

I'm pretty certain there is a horrible school of thought within football regarding certain ethnicticities that has existed for years. The comments of Ron Atkinson years ago sum it up. I think/hope it is changing but this new rule gets the thumbs up from me. In a perfect world we wouldn't need it but this isn't a perfect world.

I'm pretty certain there is a horrible school of thought within football regarding certain ethnicticities that has existed for years. The comments of Ron Atkinson years ago sum it up. I think/hope it is changing but this new rule gets the thumbs up from me. In a perfect world we wouldn't need it but this isn't a perfect world.

The problem for me is that it smacks of "Tokenism". Compare to my post about disabled candidates at the top of this thread. That looks to address prejudice in society as well - against disabled people in the work-place, where discrimination surely exists - but ensures that the disabled candidate is actually competent to do the job before being interviewed.

I personally think the EFL would do better to instigate programmes working with BAME players/coaches etc. to build a base from which many more could enter management.

Again, a comparison from my direct experience: the Disabled Students Allowances have resulted in far more disabled people accessing higher education and getting the qualifications they need to enter the workplace. Coupled with the Disability Confidence scheme I mention above, you get a "Virtuous cycle". Is it perfect? No. But it's an advance that avoids box-ticking and tokenism.

Last edited: