EFL Policy of new managers | Vital Football

EFL Policy of new managers

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
The English Football League has made it policy that clubs must interview at least one black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidate when searching for a new first-team manager

Now fully appreciating that they are vastly under represented within the game does making this a policy really address that issue or will the reality be more akin to clubs inviting people in for interview who they have no intention of employing. It would also be interesting how this might affect a vacant position where a club identifies a primary target in employment at another club and is willing to make the necessary compensation payments.

Quotas, hmmmm.

Some organisations have the Disability Confidence charter-mark. This essentially says that if a disabled candidate matches all the essential criteria for a post (i.e. on paper they can do the job and have all the relevant qualifications and experience) then they are guaranteed an interview. This is often in addition to the "Standard 6" that are usually put through from HR.

I have fewer problems with that than just saying you *must* interview an X type of candidate.

Bugs me, just as much as those that keep moaning about the lack of black managers.
If they are the best candidate for the job they will get it. The number of black players at practically every club makes it very difficult to believe that there is a race issue within football. No doubt there are some issues with some dickhead supporters, but I can't accept that someone is ignored for a role because of their skin colour. They probably just aren't good enough!

Do managers from abroad count?
Most in Premier League are German/Italian/Spanish etc.

Also does this mean that clubs are now compelled to interview a bunch of candidates every time they change manager?
What if they know who they want and the job is offered to that one person? Eg Chelsea know they will give the job to Frank Lampard (and deservedly btw). There wouldn't need to be any interview. But would they now need to interview extra people even though the new manager has already been chosen? That would actually be utterly demeaning to all involved.

What does need saying though is the real lack of British Asians in football.
There are a few non league clubs which aim to represent various Asian communities but in the professional game, there are so so few Asian players and probably zero coaches.
That does badly need addressing.

It’s also highly relevant that for every manager vacancy there has to be a person with a beard make the short list. I can’t believe so many thought DC to WBA was genuine, it was a ruse to satisfy the PC bollox brigade.

What if they know who they want and the job is offered to that one person? Eg Chelsea know they will give the job to Frank Lampard (and deservedly btw). There wouldn't need to be any interview. But would they now need to interview extra people even though the new manager has already been chosen? That would actually be utterly demeaning to all involved.

It means that if he wants to leave FLDC, Chelsea will also have to go to through the total formality of offering an interview to Zidane, just so they can turn him down.

I see the potential of more work for the lawyers here and clubs will ultimately still appoint who they want to and carefully find a way to justify their decision. I'm not sure what this will achieve in practical terms unless it is publicity to highlight the issue. Even if say a black manager is appointed off the back of this, the club is hardly going to admit that they wouldn't have given that person an interview in the first place based on racial grounds - BAME managers whilst under represented have previously got jobs without this system being in place. Yes it can be argued they are getting an opportunity to shine and a chance to win over minds during the interview process but I expect there will be a lot of token interviews on which BAME applicants will waste a lot of time, energy and money. Ergo we may end up with the solicitors doing very nicely off the claims genuine or vexatious when people feel like they have been wasting their time.