DW Stadium - Cost of Living Crisis | Page 3 | Vital Football

DW Stadium - Cost of Living Crisis

You can move fans around you want, whilst those sterile areas are in place, it's impossible to feel on top of the game like you did pre Premier League days at the DW. It's ironic that the only stand in the ground without a sterile area is by far the quietest.

Worst thing the club could do is make the South safe standing, it would kill what little atmosphere we've got left. You could fit a running track in the space between the goal and stand itself with that horrible sterile area. All the best grounds for atmosphere are those where the away fans and vocal home fans are situated in close proximity. Huddersfield have got it spot on at their place where home and fans share that one 4.5 capacity stand. Over the past few years, I've only ever been to one ground in the entire country where a home stand behind the goal has created a genuinely impressive atmosphere and that's Pompey. We can never replicate that as the South Stand is too big, doesn't have the acoustics of Fratton Park and is too far away from the pitch. Pissing money away on rail seats isn't going to change that. A far cheaper solution would be to close the South Stand all together for games like Saturday and split the North Stand.

Last edited:
Personally I think making it appear the stands are split into tiers would really work and improve the atmosphere as well making the ground look far better on match day.

I’ve looked at the stadium plan and if each stand was split pretty much level with the steps leading down to the concourse, the lower section of the staidum would hold between 11,500 to 12,000. That includes between 2-2500 away fans if they stayed in the north stand and south would be the same. East and west stands would hold about 3500 each in the lower sections. Other parts of the ground could then be opened if we were going to get a bigger crowd.

I don't know how much this would make the club but for both football and rugby at the stadium I have lost count of the amount of times i've given up on getting a drink before the game or at half time because of the queue. Surely putting another few youngsters on the pumps so more people feel inclined to get a pint would be logical. Especially at 5.30 a pint or whatever Madri is in ground now.

Also, and I made this suggestion to the believe fund people months back without a reply, I think more fan engagement, nights where people can interact with players and staff, Q&A's stuff like that would go down well. This is an area the rugby is excelling in at the moment and we don't do anything similar as far as i'm aware.

It may not be ground breaking sums of money but it all adds up

The problem with beer at the football is a national mistake not Latics. I have never understood why I can't take a pint to my seat because I can't be trusted but they will sell me 15 pints before kick off and another 5 at half time. If you could buy a pint anytime the queue disappears or reduces immediately.

The problem with beer at the football is a national mistake not Latics. I have never understood why I can't take a pint to my seat because I can't be trusted but they will sell me 15 pints before kick off and another 5 at half time. If you could buy a pint anytime the queue disappears or reduces immediately.
I can't understand why people cannot refrain from drinking for 45 mins.
I don't want people to take a pint to their seats as they will invariably throw their pint when there's a goal. Who wants to come out of a football match wet and stinking of beer? And it will cause unnecessary aggro - we have enough as it is.
ps before any smart alec pipes up - yes - we have not scored too many goals...

I can't understand why people cannot refrain from drinking for 45 mins.
I don't want people to take a pint to their seats as they will invariably throw their pint when there's a goal. Who wants to come out of a football match wet and stinking of beer? And it will cause unnecessary aggro - we have enough as it is.
ps before any smart alec pipes up - yes - we have not scored too many goals...

You're missing the point...which is it would alleviate the half time queue. And why anyone would want to throw a £5.45 pint over anyone is beyond me.

I have actually where you're treated as an adult just like at rugby matches were nobody has ever thrown a pint on me when a try is scored.
Rugby is different - I've been to both and experienced the difference which is why I never want alcohol in the stands. Try attending a football match where alcohol is allowed in stands - I'd like your opinion after that.

Rugby is different - I've been to both and experienced the difference which is why I never want alcohol in the stands. Try attending a football match where alcohol is allowed in stands - I'd like your opinion after that.

Did you miss the " i have actually " bit of my last post when you said " you obviously haven't attended..." etc etc.

Do you envisage the Darby and Joan club in the West Stand are going to go ape-shit if allowed a pint in their hand while watching the match ? Ironically the only time I've ever been covered in ale is on the concourse at away matches .

I find the whole situation pathetic to be honest...it's like saying nobody can ever drive a car because there are a few idiots behind the wheel.

I have actually where you're treated as an adult just like at rugby matches were nobody has ever thrown a pint on me when a try is scored.

Well ! ….I had a pint thrown at me from ‘somewhere above‘ at the Rugby …t’was a while ago …Green Vigo scored a last minute try to beat ‘New Hunslet’ at Elland Road dog track ….the locals weren’t happy!

(Neither was I as the Bitter was shyte)

Did you miss the " i have actually " bit of my last post when you said " you obviously haven't attended..." etc etc.

Do you envisage the Darby and Joan club in the West Stand are going to go ape-shit if allowed a pint in their hand while watching the match ? Ironically the only time I've ever been covered in ale is on the concourse at away matches .

I find the whole situation pathetic to be honest...it's like saying nobody can ever drive a car because there are a few idiots behind the wheel.

I'm sure your memory is long enough to remember the days when alcohol was allowed on the terraces mate, and the trouble it caused. I certainly don't want a return to those dark days.

The ban on alcohol was put in place, alongside other measures, to combat the violence and misbehaviour amongst fans and I have no doubt its removal would see a return. Citing rugby as an alternative is, in my opinion, merely a distraction as they have never suffered the same type of crowd behaviour or violence as football has.

As far as getting covered in beer when a goal is scored, I would simply watch the reaction in the fan zones at both the World Cup and Euro's. I agree it would be nice to be able to bring my pint up to my seat and drink it in peace, but I fear the actions of the fans of the past have put paid to that for us.

I'm sure your memory is long enough to remember the days when alcohol was allowed on the terraces mate, and the trouble it caused. I certainly don't want a return to those dark days.

The ban on alcohol was put in place, alongside other measures, to combat the violence and misbehaviour amongst fans and I have no doubt its removal would see a return. Citing rugby as an alternative is, in my opinion, merely a distraction as they have never suffered the same type of crowd behaviour or violence as football has.

As far as getting covered in beer when a goal is scored, I would simply watch the reaction in the fan zones at both the World Cup and Euro's. I agree it would be nice to be able to bring my pint up to my seat and drink it in peace, but I fear the actions of the fans of the past have put paid to that for us.

Don't add up though mate...if they are that concerned about alcohol and the effects on those of limited brain patterns why will they sell them 15 pints before the match and another 5 st half time.

It's nonsense and we have moved on since the dark ages.

Cocaine is perhaps more of an issue these days. However there is no need to bring back in seat drinking. Undoubtedly it would go everywhere by the very type of folk it’s prohibited because of. If folk can’t go 45 minutes without one I’d suggest they have a problem with alcohol and should seek help.

Citing rugby as an alternative is, in my opinion, merely a distraction as they have never suffered the same type of crowd behaviour or violence as football has.

Broadly…but not entirely true , I've seen some nasty bother in Wigan as a result of visitors from Warrington St Helens and Widnes . I have mates who regularly travelled to away games but eventually stopped visiting Castleford and Featherstone in particular due to the nutcases there …..and coaches bricked in and a disabled supporter for God‘s sake … assaulted at Leeds ….their crowds are not as big nor does the game have the national profile to get the journos on a bandwagon. I’m certainly not saying that the range of problems was the same but equally not entirely squeaky clean.

Personally I have no wish to be drinking at the match in or out of the stands as I’d never be away from the bogs!

Broadly…but not entirely true , I've seen some nasty bother in Wigan as a result of visitors from Warrington St Helens and Widnes . I have mates who regularly travelled to away games but eventually stopped visiting Castleford and Featherstone in particular due to the nutcases there …..and coaches bricked in and a disabled supporter for God‘s sake … assaulted at Leeds ….their crowds are not as big nor does the game have the national profile to get the journos on a bandwagon. I’m certainly not saying that the range of problems was the same but equally not entirely squeaky clean.

Personally I have no wish to be drinking at the match in or out of the stands as I’d never be away from the bogs!

My last word on this is I don't really want a pint sitting at my seat but resent that I can't if I so wish. As earlier stated the queue at half time puts me off going down there so will just stick with a couple in SC.

Regarding bog visits zeb I hear you brother.

Don't add up though mate...if they are that concerned about alcohol and the effects on those of limited brain patterns why will they sell them 15 pints before the match and another 5 st half time.

It's nonsense and we have moved on since the dark ages.

Once again, the mindless minority have ruined it for the majority, and I am sorry, but I disagree that we have moved on. Only this season we have seen that our own fans and those of other local clubs still want to engage in violence after games.

As to the sales of alcohol before and after games, that is for the licensee's and staff to monitor. It is illegal for them to continue to sell alcohol to anyone who is intoxicated, and they place their licences at risk if they do so. Anyone arriving at the ground drunk should be refused entry by the security staff.

These restrictions were put in place for the safety of all of us at games and in my opinion should still be respected until such time that the hooligan element realise that football really doesn't want them in their grounds.