DW Stadium - Cost of Living Crisis | Vital Football

DW Stadium - Cost of Living Crisis

C_Latic

Vital 1st Team Regular
It's time we had a proper discussion about the cost of living crisis and specifically how this will affect the club going forward. I'm not 100% sure on all the numbers but I'd warrant a guess that the DW Stadium energy bills will rise by at least a quarter of a million. It will actually be worse for us than other clubs because we unfortunately rent the stadium out to a sports club who play the majority of their home games in the evenings, meaning further use of floodlights compared to other football clubs. As the landlord, the regular ground bills such as energy, heating etc are our responsibility to pay.

So, what can we do to solve this and cut costs as appropriate? Mansfield have become the first club to move a Saturday 3pm game forward to a 1pm kickoff (their game vs Walsall on October 15th). They've done this initially as a trial run to see whether it affects their average home attendance. No doubt that every other club in the EFL will have an eye on the same thing. Personally I think it would be a no brainer to move forward Saturday 3pm kick-off times. I can't see it affecting crowds on our end personally and would save a shed load of cash on floodlight use.

Secondly, will the vast increase in energy bills be reflected in the amount of rent that the "Wigan Club" pays Latics considering their constant use of the floodlights? Or will it once again be Latics who bend over and get fu**ed as the Rugby club walks all over us and the owners yet again? Could it even become the case that Latics make a financial loss from their rental agreement due to the extra cost in energy prices? Because 20% of gate revenue or however much they were paying won't be enough to turn the DW lights on for a year.

Apologies for the essay, but this is a very important topic that we need to take into account considering that we are supposed to be working towards becoming self-sustainable under the current owner.

In these hard times. It’s the greed league that needs sorting out. On about now doing away for fa cup replays. They are life lines for a lot of clubs. If they want to do away. Let them pay for it. By putting some hard cash back in the game

Depends on how much money is spent or potentially saved by having the floodlights on or not….and balancing any savings with lower pay on the day attendees…which could be more keenly felt from lower away support. Derby matches wouldn’t be greatly affected but even 250 fewer away fans at £25 apiece is over £6k lost straight away, how would that square with floodlight costs ?
I genuinely don’t know …but that’s what would need to be defined.

However there are regular home supporters and ST holders who travel in quite some distance (London and Glasgow that I personally know of) who might be stuffed by Sat kick offs being regularly played at lunch time rather than the infrequent need driven by a ’Sky’ game.
It’s an interesting question but needs a fair amount of consideration by the club.
As for the rugby, the current energy crisis has moved the question beyond the realms of ‘penny pinching’ but given they won’t play again for several months there is time for the situation to be either firmed up or potentially eased off by the time their new season starts.

Paying daft wages whilst penny pinching over the leccy bill wont get much sympathy.
Thought you would churp in someone touched a nerve about your rugby team
Have you sorted out your cheap rent yet mutty
Or is it still to be sorted

Regarding leccy when a landlord rents a property its upto those who turn the lights on to pay the bill. Be interesting to read the mythical rental agreement.

Thought you would churp in someone touched a nerve about your rugby team
Have you sorted out your cheap rent yet mutty
Or is it still to be sorted

He has a point though.
How much has it cost us to have three of our players up in Scotland over the season?

And having 7 strikers in the squad. How much is Ashley Fletcher getting paid to warm his arse on the bench?
Come on this should be a discussion concerning wigan latics fans
What's it got to do with a sunderland fan come on mutty leave this to us
You don't see us going on your forum do you
Do us a favour lad go back where you came from
Ffcks
Oh and pay your rent for using our stadium as well cheap skates lol

Mutty pie eater are u going to tell folk on here who you really are and you are no latics fan
Because you don't worry me pal none what so ever

He arrived without having a proper preseason, you can't go straight into our side which is all fitness based if you are weeks behind everyone else.

I suspect he wont be warming the bench for very long.
I like that our side mutty what do u think still gutted broadhead joined us

He arrived without having a proper preseason, you can't go straight into our side which is all fitness based if you are weeks behind everyone else.

Well where is he going to play? I suppose he is a striker with an absolutely atrocious scoring record so he should settle well in our strikers graveyard.
Oh no pre season, so why bother signing him?

Then which one out of Lang, Keane, Wyke, Broadhead and Magennis will warm their arse to make way for Fletcher? Must be well over £50k a week there, before you include Humphries & Jones who are being paid not to play for Wigan - even in this day & age, thats a lot of lightbulbs.

You don't see us going on your forum do you

Maybe not you personally, but there were a few Latics fans on there last year. A couple of them even started arguing between themselves about some issue. Quite funny to watch them squabbling over Wigan on a Sunderland message board.

That said, maybe you should get on there and act all billy big bollocks before the game next month. It will be funny to see your arse handed to you on a plate.

readytogo.net/smb

Maybe not you personally, but there were a few Latics fans on there last year. A couple of them even started arguing between themselves about some issue. Quite funny to watch them squabbling over Wigan on a Sunderland message board.

That said, maybe you should get on there and act all billy big bollocks before the game next month. It will be funny to see your arse handed to you on a plate.

readytogo.net/smb

Were they actually Wigan fans though?

You had posted on here for a while before you acknowledged that latics was not your team so same scenario.