Donny (A) | Vital Football

Donny (A)

Arthur_Itis

Vital Squad Member
Not a must win game, but we need to start picking some points up from this run of tough games or we will be cut adrift.

Gutted that Lang is unavailable, wonder what team selection Leam will go for. The only natural width is Viv and he's walking wounded.

Loved away days at Donny, think my favourite was the 4-3 win back in the late 80's. My brothers mate got so pissed the police wouldn't let him or my brother in, despite my brother being the designated driver and stone cold sober.
They ended up playing dominoes in some working mans club all afternoon whilst the rest of us watched a cracking game of football.

Remember going there for last game of our promotion winning season...a Will Grigg goal sealed the win for the promotion I think??? It was a cracking sunny day n remember going past the outside bar area adjoining the stadium which was rammed.
Hopefully we can start a good winning run from Saturday onwards...😉😉...possibly another 1 nil win!!

Donny will be to strong for us, but let us hope, for that is all that is left for us, HOPE.

Went to Belle Vue (dump) close by the racecourse (not a dump) near the end of their stay there .....the three amigos first season I think ...when we missed out on the play offs ....Roberto gave us the lead but we lost 2-1 ...both Graeme Jones and Gary Brabin in the Donny line up (I think ??)

Went to Belle Vue (dump) close by the racecourse (not a dump) near the end of their stay there .....the three amigos first season I think ...when we missed out on the play offs ....Roberto gave us the lead but we lost 2-1 ...both Graeme Jones and Gary Brabin in the Donny line up (I think ??)

Didn’t Diaz get questioned after the game by the police for allegedly assaulting one of the ball boys?

My earliest memory of Doncaster was when Billy Bremner managed them in the late 70's.
It seemed to be a golden era for lower league teams to be managed by British footballing legends. Quite a few from that Leeds team turned up at Springfield Park.

Unfortunately, the only outcome I can see for us tomorrow is nil points. I have seen nothing of late to persuade me that we are capable of winning another game this season and I am resigned to starting next season in league 2, much as it breaks my hearts to say that.

Donny fell apart after Darren Moore left and they are in rotten form with 5 loses and 2 draws in their last 7.

It's a great time to play them and we have a great chance of winning if we turn up on the day. But those unfortunately are the type of games we've gone missing in most of the time.

We've got to start turning up for the winnable games like this and break our season long pattern if we want to avoid getting cut adrift.

Going into this it feels very reminiscent of Accy away - opposition well off the boil and there for the taking if we want it enough - got to hope we don't repeat that performance.

If results go against us we could be 5 points off safety. Add in our goal difference and it's pretty much 6 points. Hard to see us coming back from that so got to get a win to ensure we can stay in the pack.

Problem I see with us is scoring goals
So I can't see anything but a 1-0 donny win

Donny fell apart after Darren Moore left and they are in rotten form with 5 loses and 2 draws in their last 7.

It's a great time to play them and we have a great chance of winning if we turn up on the day. But those unfortunately are the type of games we've gone missing in most of the time.

We've got to start turning up for the winnable games like this and break our season long pattern if we want to avoid getting cut adrift.

Going into this it feels very reminiscent of Accy away - opposition well off the boil and there for the taking if we want it enough - got to hope we don't repeat that performance.

If results go against us we could be 5 points off safety. Add in our goal difference and it's pretty much 6 points. Hard to see us coming back from that so got to get a win to ensure we can stay in the pack.

I don't think you give enough credit to the teams that we play "in this type of form" KDZ or to the psychology involved in professional sport. You say it's Latics not turning up but after no wins in 7 and a relegation fodder team with a crippling injury list turning up to your home ground Donny will be absolutely up for the game tomorrow to break their wretched run. I'd much rather be playing an above average team that were in inconsistent form having (say) randomly won 3. drawn 2 and lost 2 in their last 7 than a team desperate for a win.
It may look like Latics not turning up, it could be Donny upping their game.

My earliest memory of Doncaster was when Billy Bremner managed them in the late 70's.
It seemed to be a golden era for lower league teams to be managed by British footballing legends. Quite a few from that Leeds team turned up at Springfield Park.

I think Bremners team mate Allan ‘sniffer’ Clarke was manager of Barnsley when they came to Springfield Park in our first FL season ...1-1 draw I believe and a very young Mick McCarthy in central defence for the whippet botherers

Bongsmon, I‘ve no idea about the Diaz incident at the end of the game at Donny ....I was very likely away sharpish with a good sulk brewing

I don't think you give enough credit to the teams that we play "in this type of form" KDZ or to the psychology involved in professional sport. You say it's Latics not turning up but after no wins in 7 and a relegation fodder team with a crippling injury list turning up to your home ground Donny will be absolutely up for the game tomorrow to break their wretched run. I'd much rather be playing an above average team that were in inconsistent form having (say) randomly won 3. drawn 2 and lost 2 in their last 7 than a team desperate for a win.
It may look like Latics not turning up, it could be Donny upping their game.

You can tell though when we turn up as we press high and hard and generally have intensity and urgency. Sometimes we play like that and still lose because the opposition is better but in those games at least we gave what we had.

But when we don't show the urgency or intensity and stand off them we get comfortably beat. Too often this season we've just not matched the opposition for work rate or fight and if we don't do that we don't give ourselves a chance regardless of what the opposition do.

You can tell though when we turn up as we press high and hard and generally have intensity and urgency. Sometimes we play like that and still lose because the opposition is better but in those games at least we gave what we had.

But when we don't show the urgency or intensity and stand off them we get comfortably beat. Too often this season we've just not matched the opposition for work rate or fight and if we don't do that we don't give ourselves a chance regardless of what the opposition do.

I agree that has definitely happened sometimes, but not every time we lose. Sometimes the better team just wins and unfortunately it's not us, nor solely down to us.

I think Bremners team mate Allan ‘sniffer’ Clarke was manager of Barnsley when they came to Springfield Park in our first FL season ...1-1 draw I believe and a very young Mick McCarthy in central defence for the whippet botherers

I seem to remember Peter Lorimer was with York City that same season when we played them.

Went there when we drew in the first round of the FA Cup and played a draw and brought them back to Springfield when one of the most amazing things in the FA Cup history occured thanks to a tot of whisky.
Harry the Lionheart legend.
No substitutes then, never mind the 18 or nineteen running up and down throughout the match these days.

Wonder if Donny Osmond will be there today ?... His father George Virl was a lifelong Rovers fan and president of the Utah Rovers Supporters Club until his death in 2007. He named his son Donny in recognition of this.

I agree that has definitely happened sometimes, but not every time we lose. Sometimes the better team just wins and unfortunately it's not us, nor solely down to us.

Unfortunately most our our worst performances have come in the winnable games where a good performance would've likely been enough to get the points.

We seem to do well as underdogs more often than not being valiant losers against the stronger sides. But when we have a good chance of winning we seem to drop our performance levels drastically and end up getting and deserving nothing.

If we go down this season I think we've only got ourselves to blame - We've seen when we perform we are capable of competing with the best in this league despite our limited squad yet so often we've not performed when it would've made the biggest difference.

If we showed the fight and work we showed against the top 6 against the mid table and bottom sides we'd still not have won every game but we'd be well clear of the relegation places.

Unfortunately most our our worst performances have come in the winnable games where a good performance would've likely been enough to get the points.

We seem to do well as underdogs more often than not being valiant losers against the stronger sides. But when we have a good chance of winning we seem to drop our performance levels drastically and end up getting and deserving nothing.

If we go down this season I think we've only got ourselves to blame - We've seen when we perform we are capable of competing with the best in this league despite our limited squad yet so often we've not performed when it would've made the biggest difference.

If we showed the fight and work we showed against the top 6 against the mid table and bottom sides we'd still not have won every game but we'd be well clear of the relegation places.

I don't disagree with a lot of that KDZ, but I'm just trying to point out that as well as our own performance, the opposition performance is also a major factor.

Perhaps we do up our game against the top 6, but perhaps by the same token they drop their game cos "it's only relegation threatened Wigan" and it's obviously not just league position that dictates a teams performance, there are many many other contributing factors as well.

My point was that even if we do try to turn in a decent performance today, I'm expecting Donny to be really up for it as well, given their recent form, and therefore this could well affect the "perception" of our performance. If we lose I'm expecting the "didn't turn up in a big game again" when in reality it could just be that Donny stopped us from playing.

Either way, lets just hope whatever the deciding factor today we get something out of the game (yet again first goal will be crucial IMO)

Just like against accy we face a team well out of form (bottom of form league) but they do have a good home record. Expecting a defeat which sometimes means a guaranteed win lol I dont see them in training but hoped for more from Clough & Keane.... Can also put Evans in that bracket too...... He is one who is due a goal🙄let's go 1 nil to us then😊