Does he stay or go ? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Does he stay or go ?

Fighting relegation under SL has to stop and he needs to Go!.

I accept we cannot afford Evans but let’s make the change to someone new or next season promises more shite !

The bloke at Newport ?…

Hang on kettners. So you say he’s been at the ground and in the players car park? So presumably invited by the club and surely the players, SL and Scally must know he’s there.

You earlier said “disrespectful of Scally” meaning you think he’s been invited there to watch games with the intention of taking over from SL? Or watching what happens to become a DoF above SL.

Do you really think that is how someone like Scally (or anyone) would operate? Seriously? I think if true, SL would have resigned long ago.

If I’ve misread what you mean, sorry. Struggling with any of it myself. And still no “proof” he’s been there, just have to take your word.

OSK, I think that you`re being unfair to Kettners. If Kettners said he actually saw him in the players car park then we should take that as firm evidence, or proof. Why would Kettners make up something like that. If Kettners said he saw him there, that`s good enough for me. That he (Evans) is there is one thing; why he`s there - well that`s another matter and far more worthy of the debate and speculation.

Hang on kettners. So you say he’s been at the ground and in the players car park? So presumably invited by the club and surely the players, SL and Scally must know he’s there.

You earlier said “disrespectful of Scally” meaning you think he’s been invited there to watch games with the intention of taking over from SL? Or watching what happens to become a DoF above SL.

Do you really think that is how someone like Scally (or anyone) would operate? Seriously? I think if true, SL would have resigned long ago.

If I’ve misread what you mean, sorry. Struggling with any of it myself. And still no “proof” he’s been there, just have to take your word.

IIRC Luke Cawdell from Kol ( a reliable source) posted something on Twitter about Evans being at one of our games, but can't remember which game.

Yes PS does have previous for this type of thing so yes it is the way he operates. What Evans is doing at our games (if he's been at multiple games as rumoured) who knows but if I was SL I'd want answers, but who's to say he hasn't had answers.

Sorry guys (and kettners) I didn’t realise it had actually been reported in the media that Evans was there once. And I did allude I’d have take kettners word for it, but I don’t really know him from a bar of soap.

But surely if he (Evans) was there in an official capacity, SL would have known about it and the reasons. Surely?

Would he still be our manager if he was told “listen Steve, Mr Evans is going to be taking a look at our games in case he gets your job”.

And even worse if he’s clearly at games and SL not told why. I can’t see how any sort of situation like that can be tenable. And is Evans that low that he actually do that? Wait, don’t answer that.

I’d say the bigger possibility is that he is scouting for someone and asked if he could attend the game. Or if it’s multiple games, maybe he’s checking out Tom or Thomas for another side.

Anyway, I’d better stop, cos I’m now speculating on something I know nothing about as well ?

Last edited:
The point I was trying to make sir keefy was that it must be tough for Lovell and cox to act as the manager / trainer coaching your players throughout the week and picking your match team, waiting for the right or wrong result knowing someone else is sitting in the wings observing what is going on - no wonder Lovell doesn’t dance around the touch line like a lunatic - I bet he doesn’t I now if he’s coming or going and to be fair he’s done the job we all prayed for at the start of the season. My main complaints with him are:
The continuing home diamond formation
The loanees which seemed like pressing the panic button to me - López and Burke apart (most rarely played) to me Campbell isn’t good enough or clinical enough neither is king in my opinion when we’ve got better sitting not even in the squad

Over the years we’ve witnessed many teams of a similar size to us discard with a manager who’s kept them up so that they could bring someone in who would get them to the next level.

The vast majority have done worse.

Steve does have his faults - the continued failure to have a functioning midfield really frustrates me - yet somehow we’re under par in 13th.

In terms of a more high profile lesson from history - remember when Stoke fans wanted shot of Pulis?

He's done enough for me this season. I understand the frustration with home form and performances but we are but part of a trend. Fewer home games are won than before, coaching and scouting is more intensive, teams know one another's strengths and weaknesses and come to stop the home team. We do it too. Our home form has been poor but we will end with a comfortable margin above the 4 relegated teams.

It all depends on what you expect next year. I expect us to sign a full back or two and secure a bit more quality in midfield for the season. I don't believe that strikers are such a major concern and expect Hanlan and List to score more next year but clearly some back up would help. I think Scally will release a little more money to ensure we can get a couple of more skilful and mobile midfielders for the season. I think we would improve on this season with even that modest outlay.

My problem is that SL hasn't tried everything within his power to sort our home record by trying various systems/formations over the last two seasons. All he's done is try various players in nearly all the midfield positions and still it hasn't worked, or solved the problem.

Away from home he's done well.

Maybe trying different formations wouldn't have made our home form any better, but not trying it and persistently playing a system that hasn't worked over a long period of time is IMO showing arrogance stubbornness or naivety, or all three.

So for that reason I think he's had enough time and chance to have a go at changing our fortunes at home. He's chosen to repeatedly use a system that doesn't and hasn't worked (and from very early on him his reign he stated as his preferred system) and therefore after nearly two seasons we don't know if the players would be better, play better would have won more games or been more comfortable in a different system because he hasn't even tried it.

I don't see him changing that attitude anytime soon and unless he changes that stance IMO he'll be gone by Xmas without a change in our home form anyway.

As SL stated earlier in the season if he falls on his sword he'll do it playing his way. Whether that admirable or foolish is a matter of opinion.

I find it odd that some people think we're better away than we are at home. We only have two more points away, than we do at home. If we beat Charlton, and lose to Blackpool, our home record will be better!

I find it odd that some people think we're better away than we are at home. We only have two more points away, than we do at home. If we beat Charlton, and lose to Blackpool, our home record will be better!
I think the point is we seem to play better away from home, ie we wait for the home team to come at us. At home, we seem to play the same way but the only problem is that the away team is also sitting back waiting for us to attack. Your point about home and away form is not rocket science because it’s reflected in our league position.

I think the point is we seem to play better away from home, ie we wait for the home team to come at us. At home, we seem to play the same way but the only problem is that the away team is also sitting back waiting for us to attack. Your point about home and away form is not rocket science because it’s reflected in our league position.

If you knew so much so much about The Gills, you'd be top of the prediction league...

Last edited:
Historically success (or avoiding a relegation battle) is based on a good home record.

We should be picking up more points at home than away IMO, and if we'd played better or used a different system at home we may well have done, but I guess we'll never know.

Perhaps Evans is doing some consultancy for PS/SL by having a close look at the squad and making recommendations?

Sir keefy I actually saw him in the Priestfield players car park a few weeks ago he’s got a black convertible bmw and I know others have seen him perhaps we should have photographed him ?!!

He looks like that and drives a convertible, what a liberty ???

I was driving through blackheath in a convertible Audi about 10 years ago when some bloke shouted “oi ******”, that’s when I knew it had to go.

Our mate Steve must get all sorts of abuse

He looks like that and drives a convertible, what a liberty ???

I was driving through blackheath in a convertible Audi about 10 years ago when some bloke shouted “oi ******”, that’s when I knew it had to go.

Our mate Steve must get all sorts of abuse

But , was he shouting “******” because of the car? ?

Couldn’t resist.

I would personally be realy miffed to have Evans anywhere near our club particularly as I think SL is doing a great job slowly building a very good side for next to nothing.
Its a bit unfashionable for managers to get time to build sides these days but if you're only going to pay 50p and a packet of pork scratchings for players that, to me, is the only way Gills can succeed.