Death Penalty. Yes or No. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Death Penalty. Yes or No.

Thank you Grizzly for posting what you have! It was well summed up and touching from your own experience. I am not for the death penalty has I have already said and what you summed up just confirms eloquently why I am not for it and never will be.

Justice NOT vengeance! Yeah I like that

I still stand by my views and they won't change, if it can be proved beyond any doubt then chop their heads off.

I can't help feeling that someone like Ian Brady, who clearly has no remorse for the awful, awful crimes he committed can be allowed to live. I don't believe in God so I don't have the comfort of knowing he will go to hell because he won't.

I have no compassion for remorseless cold callous c***s and I believe they should be put to death.

There are of course different circumstances in all murders, but the very worst premeditated crimes deserve the ultimate punishment- season tickets at St Andrews!!!!

If you commit murder in my view and eye for an eye, i don't buy into all this;;oh yeah but he wasn't thinking right and blah blah,,,,,no as an adult we are all responsible for our actions, muder peedo's rapists etc should be hung or lethal injection imo if provern 110% proof they did it

I dont buy this "But what about the 0.0000001% of people who are incorrectly convicted!"

String them up if there is no doubt whatsoever that they are guilty.

ClivetheVillan - 3/8/2013 19:36

If you commit murder in my view and eye for an eye, i don't buy into all this;;oh yeah but he wasn't thinking right and blah blah,,,,,no as an adult we are all responsible for our actions, muder peedo's rapists etc should be hung or lethal injection imo if provern 110% proof they did it

What about the woman who finally flips and murders her violent, cheating, drunk, druggie, abusive father to their kids? Having already tried and failed to escape and inform the police.

James06 - 3/8/2013 20:41

What about the woman who finally flips and murders her violent, cheating, drunk, druggie, abusive father to their kids? Having already tried and failed to escape and inform the police.

Then we are getting into first/second/third degree murder or voluntary manslaughter situations, very much the way it is handled in America where they have the death penalty.

Yeah that's manslaughter not murder. :14: :14:

SKEGGY - 3/8/2013 23:27

Yeah that's manslaughter not murder. :14: :14:

Now there is definetly a loop hole here and maybe not as straight cut as first thought when saying ''an eye for an eye'', i agree the woman that kills her drunken hellish hubby should not be hung as she was put in a situation of abuse and every human can flip put in this situation,

But the ones that have set out and done cruel cold hearted acts and shown no mercy to there victims children women etc should be destroyed or medically experimented on for future purposes of the human race to help against cancer etc imo

Such a big debate for such a small number of cases. I know every victim has a family and all that, but in the financial year 2011-12 there were 550 recorded murders England & Wales (no figures for confirmed cases, but this seems to reduce the total figure). The number of murders/homicides dropped by around 50% in the first decade of this century, too. The world would certainly be a better place if people (on both sides) were as passionate about other causes of unnecessary death and misery.

SherlockGT - 3/8/2013 19:54

I dont buy this "But what about the 0.0000001% of people who are incorrectly convicted!"

I don't buy that percentage, you are way out.

And as for executing those who are proven beyond a reasonable doubt, proven by who? Incorruptible police and judges, don't make me laugh, how often do we hear of those who have wrongly spent their lives locked up, how many wrongly executed as already eloquently stated earlier in the thread.

I have no problem with the genuinely guilty receiving their comeuppance, but when you have people around who will admit to crimes that they didn't do just because they are mentally ill, how do you separate the guilty from the mental?

One innocent person losing their life makes the idea invalid.

Yes it should be an option, so should torture.

It's a shame we can't trust the convictions enough therefore we water everything down costing the Country billions every year.

What a fucked up World we live in.

ASPINALL - 4/8/2013 09:31

Yes it should be an option, so should torture.

It's a shame we can't trust the convictions enough therefore we water everything down costing the Country billions every year.

What a fucked up World we live in.

According to Focus Prisoner Education (http://www.fpe.org.uk/the-cost-of-prisons/) it costs £40,000 p.a. to keep somebody in prison. So, had all 550 murders in England & Wales in 2011-12 led to conviction and consequent death sentence, this would have saved the country £22 million in the following year. But it is not quite that simple. Not all murders lead to a conviction and even fewer receive a death penalty. For example, since 1978 there have been 13 executions in California at a cost of around £2,54 billion (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17210285).

Thus, the cost argument does not add up. But, if we want to save money on prisons then reducing reoffending through training and education of short-term prisoners might be a good start.

There is no point trying to the justify death sentence on any other grounds than vengeance.

JamTomorrow - 4/8/2013 03:14

And as for executing those who are proven beyond a reasonable doubt, proven by who? Incorruptible police and judges, don't make me laugh, how often do we hear of those who have wrongly spent their lives locked up, how many wrongly executed as already eloquently stated earlier in the thread.

I have no problem with the genuinely guilty receiving their comeuppance, but when you have people around who will admit to crimes that they didn't do just because they are mentally ill, how do you separate the guilty from the mental?

I don't think that percentage is too far out, and our legal system is probably the best in the world and the most capable of implementing a death penalty system based on meeting certain criteria.
As for separating the guilty from the mentally ill, a confession alone would not be enough to secure the death penalty but would need physical evidence aswell.

The issue for me is not executing the prisoner, but defining the crimes worthy of being sentenced to death. Where do we draw the line?

How would you define 'best' when it comes to legal systems? And then how would you prove it?

If there absolute proof of guilt (like the guys who killed the soldier in London) then I think the death penalty should be brought in. It doesn't have to cost a fortune to do. One soldier, one gun, one bullet to the head, swift and simple. In cases were there can be reasonable doubt but a verdict of guilty is given, then yes, a life sentence and life should mean exactly that - no parole, no reduced sentence for good behaviour.

They say even in prison, those convicted of crimes aginst children are really hated, but more often than not these folks are kept in isolation for their own protection. So where the guilty party is someone like Huntley or like these two despicable excuses for human beings that tortured and starved that poor little boy to death, let the inmates know who they are and force them to mix with the other inmates and you can bet anything they will get the justice they truely deserve.

SherlockGT - 4/8/2013 11:51

JamTomorrow - 4/8/2013 03:14

I don't think that percentage is too far out, and our legal system is probably the best in the world and the most capable of implementing a death penalty system based on meeting certain criteria.
As for separating the guilty from the mentally ill, a confession alone would not be enough to secure the death penalty but would need physical evidence aswell.

The issue for me is not executing the prisoner, but defining the crimes worthy of being sentenced to death. Where do we draw the line?

Seriously, look at what you have written. I'm assuming you know how percentages and decimal fractions work. You have stated that 1 in 1 billion convictions are incorrect. How many convictions do you think have been made in the history of the British legal system? How many unsafe convictions have been overturned in the last 20 years alone? Compare them. Your figure is way out!

Wrongful convictions:

The Birmingham 6
The Guilford 4
Colin Stagg

Are the main 3 that spring to mind. Here is a link that lists the miscarriages of justice in various countries. Scroll down to The U.K 1's. There are tons of them including miscarriages when the death penalty was in place and after it was stopped. I wouldn't want the blood of 1 innocent person on my mind so I would never agree to it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miscarriage_of_justice_cases