Current Squad: June 2020 | Page 8 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2020

Ross
Lewis Bolger Montsma Edun
Anderson McGrandles Jones Grant
Scully Hopper

If that was our First XI come September 12th ( or whenever it gets going again) I'd be pretty excited by what that team could offer.

Bit light on the bench I accept

Our Player of the Season last year was 23. Our average age is 23. Having a low average age does not mean they are not good players.

Ross
Scully Hopper

If that was our First XI come September 12th ( or whenever it gets going again) I'd be pretty excited by what that team could offer.

I would be seriously worried especially when subs were needed.

Still worries me to see Bolger in the starting 11, not convinced he'll be a regular starter as the season takes shape. Just not good enough with the ball at his feet.
Ross
Scully Hopper

Ross
Scully Hopper

It's interesting that the height and physicality or lack of get a mention or two.
Of that 11 Ross, Lewis, Bolger, Montsma, Anderson, Scully, Hopper and Anderson could reasonably be described as having at least one of those attributes.

Our Player of the Season last year was 23. Our average age is 23. Having a low average age does not mean they are not good players.
But its not just about good players. It's about a team gelling. A squad working. An organisation coming together. A few young good players will find it tough for a season. This team clearly needs more experience and leaders. And the club and fans need players to connect to a la Rheady or Bozzie. Let's hope the young players shine and some experience is signed.

It's interesting that the height and physicality or lack of get a mention or two.
Of that 11 Ross, Lewis, Bolger, Montsma, Anderson, Scully, Hopper and Anderson could reasonably be described as having at least one of those attributes.

Beat-monsterism - as a developed philosophy- is about far more than mere physical attributes. Ask Bozzie.

But its not just about good players. It's about a team gelling. A squad working. An organisation coming together. A few young good players will find it tough for a season. This team clearly needs more experience and leaders. And the club and fans need players to connect to a la Rheady or Bozzie. Let's hope the young players shine and some experience is signed.

Agree but what’s stopping a younger player being that person?

Scully’s fighting attributes certainly seemed like something that could get the crowd and team going a la a massive, smashing tackle from Bozzie.

I can honestly say I have absolutely zero worries about our squad for the upcoming season. It's a bit light and a bit young/inexperienced at the moment, but we have still got over a month until the new season starts and in the 'new normal' (I really don't like that phrase but everyone knows what it means!) that's bags of time.

And I think what really gives me that confidence is the structure we have in place at City. I'm confident that every role at the club is filled with the right person, everyone is working towards the same goal, and everyone is going to do their bit to ensure that we're not going to throw away everything we've recently achieved.

Personally, I'm just going to chill out over the next month, and enjoy reading about who we have signed, when we have signed them.

My one concern is that the sheer number of 'growth potential' players that we put into the side on any particular day will leave us with some big holes if 3 or 4 struggle on a particular day. It is easier to carry inconsistency if you have six or seven solid, dependable, experienced players in a side and are only introducing 3 or 4 newer faces. I hope I am proved wrong, but we have all seen just as many 'introductions' that have not come off over the last 3 years as those that have.

Just to emphasise again, 12 players have left Lincoln (13 if you include Jamie McCombe), and only 4 have arrived. Some of those would have been our higher earners too - Lee Frecklington, Michael Bostwick, Neal Eardley, Jason Shackell, Jack Payne, Tom Pett and Josh Vickers would have been taking up a large part of the budget. Even with a proposed salary cap, there is plenty of room in our squad yet.

If anyone is worried about the size of our squad at this point, only Blackpool (6) and Bristol Rovers (6) have made more signings than Lincoln (4), and they shed a lot of players during the summer too. Some clubs have made no signings at all so far.

One major reason for that is that many Championship clubs have yet to confirm retained lists. Every club in the lower divisions will be reserving funds for potentially capturing some of them (David Artell and John Coleman have made that point specifically), and that is probably where our more experienced players will come from. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to have spent the initial part of the window signing the best of the rest, those from the lower divisions that fit our plan for younger player development. Blackpool and Bristol Rovers have done the same thing.

In any case, we already have players with lots of experience:

Cian Bolger 275 appearances
Ben Coker 257
Tom Hopper 196
Harry Anderson 186
James Jones 185
Conor McGrandles 179
Jorge Grant 171
Lewis Montsma 99 (albeit in Dutch football)

With the exception of Coker, all of those are likely to be starters this season.

Finally, last season's Player of the Season only had 48 appearances to his name when he signed for us. Did his inexperience show?

Clive posted an interesting article a couple of weeks ago, which some may have missed, about Oxford's transfer dealings/squads, which went back from current to the two final years of MA there and there was a good idea in there of how the squad will pan out age wise.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/oxford-united-recruitment-analysis-buying-sell

Whilst, yes, there were young players, there was still a mix of those in their peak years. It wasn't a total reliance on 20-25 year old.

The article is definitely worth a read, or even just to look at the graphs to understand it all.

1596801712450.png