Cowleys sacked | Page 18 | Vital Football

Cowleys sacked

I discovered a few years ago that the Hellenic League side Bishops Cleeve play in the town of Bishop's Cleeve (near Cheltenham).

It's still a village as far as I know, although now well over 10,000 population.

The letter offering me employment in 1970 had my firm's phone number as Bishops Cleeve 3361.

They must have known what they were getting with the Cowleys and their role within the club. That would have been agreed at interview stage. It seems to me that they’ve just moved the goalposts. DC/NC better off out of there
Just what I was thinking.
Initially they turned the job down only to accept it when the Chairman agreed to their terms. It looks like he could have had other ideas once they'd signed up. Could that be the differing views sited as the reason for the parting of ways?
Glad they've left as I didn't like hating on them after all they've done for us. Now I can ignore how they're future pans out whilst hoping the dog botherers slide further down the leagues. Bwahahaha!

Last edited:
Made the point he has been appointed coach not manager I read.
Probably already covered but also seems chairman wanted to bring in foreign players, Cowley wanted British so fate was decided early in lockdown but waited till they were safe before doing the deed

Just what I was thinking.
Initially they turned the job down only to accept it when the Chairman agreed to their terms. It looks like he could have had other ideas once they'd signed up. Could that be the differing views sited as the reason for the parting of ways?
Glad they've left as I didn't like hating on them after all they've done for us. Now I can ignore how they're future pans out whilst hoping the dog botherers slide further down the leagues. Bwahahaha!

Perhaps Danny and Nicky thought that going to a trigger happy club was a financially astute move. Do their reputation no harm by improving a Championship club and pocket a load of compensation when sacked...

Still think they inadvertently contributed to their own downfall by keeping Huddersfield up. Can't imagine Corberan would have accepted if they were in Div 1 next season nor would many Johnny Foreigners want to sign (as appears to be part of the new recruitment policy). See they are quoted as wanting a bit of time away. Maybe recognise the only clubs looking for managers ( with the exception of Bristol) are basket cases that could do more harm than good. They seem to have got the sympathy vote with this sacking but may not be so positive for their careers if they got another. Moral may be to do with picking the right chairman rather than the club.

Whilst the Cowleys won’t like to be sacked, actually they’re in no worse position than they were had Huddersfield not sacked them.

As far as they are concerned for their CV, they’ve proved they can do it in the championship. They do not need to look at Hull, or anyone else in League 1. Their stock has risen since they left us, and hasn’t dropped IMO.

Whilst the Cowleys won’t like to be sacked, actually they’re in no worse position than they were had Huddersfield not sacked them.

As far as they are concerned for their CV, they’ve proved they can do it in the championship. They do not need to look at Hull, or anyone else in League 1. Their stock has risen since they left us, and hasn’t dropped IMO.

Importantly, they've proven that they can be successful in a relegation battle, having already proven their qualities fighting at the top end of leagues. If they are eventually offered Premier league jobs (e.g. West Ham), it will most likely be with a team towards the bottom.