Cowleys sacked | Page 19 | Vital Football

Cowleys sacked

It's very interesting reading the Huddersfield Forum a lot seem to believe they are now going to "no limits" attacking football and the promised land beckons and they seem to be glad that the Cowleys are gone. They really have no idea what they have just let go. DC/NC played the type of football with the squad they had to get them out of the mire which it clearly did and I have no doubt that given time they would have done exactly what the same as they did with us to Huddersfield.

Time will tell but it is fairly obvious reading his comments that not a lot of players are coming in and apparently he is going to turn them into an attacking force. My thoughts on that is you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear and if the Cowleys can't get the best out of those players then who can?

Watch the Hudders fans bleat when they realise what they have just lost and how successful the Cowleys are at another club and they realise that their team isn't actually playing like Brazil! :lol:

Do we really care about this tinpot outfit. They are, have and will always live in the shadow of Leeds Utd. Let them stumble along in their fantasy world of dreams and hope. Maybe they're hoping to get some cast off players from Leeds?

Do we really care about this tinpot outfit. They are, have and will always live in the shadow of Leeds Utd. Let them stumble along in their fantasy world of dreams and hope. Maybe they're hoping to get some cast off players from Leeds?

I care only that they plummet down the divisions and fail miserably in everything they try.

I work with Leeds fans who are happy with the deal.
Their ex guy will take a few under 23s to the Championship on loan. Experience for them. If they're good they can go back to Leeds, if not they'll be let go. Any success Hudds do have will be atributed to Leeds now and if Hudds fail, well they were crap already. Leeds win either way.
Hudds get some players on the cheap.
DC & NC got the big money move, should get compo and kept a club up in difficult circumstances so as has been said, their stock should remain high.

It's very interesting reading the Huddersfield Forum a lot seem to believe they are now going to "no limits" attacking football and the promised land beckons and they seem to be glad that the Cowleys are gone. They really have no idea what they have just let go. DC/NC played the type of football with the squad they had to get them out of the mire which it clearly did and I have no doubt that given time they would have done exactly what the same as they did with us to Huddersfield.

Time will tell but it is fairly obvious reading his comments that not a lot of players are coming in and apparently he is going to turn them into an attacking force. My thoughts on that is you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear and if the Cowleys can't get the best out of those players then who can?

Watch the Hudders fans bleat when they realise what they have just lost and how successful the Cowleys are at another club and they realise that their team isn't actually playing like Brazil! :lol:

I hear what you say and agree in a host of respects. However, I have this nagging doubt wrt their alleged requirement to have considerable control on transfers for example, clubs have moved on and finding one that lets you have a certain degree of control will be difficult. Clubs nowadays have an extensive network of world scouts so having a say at the table will be more difficult. Having that control is something from bygone Div 1 / 2 days. Yes they kept Huddersfield up but have they really embedded themselves as Championship managers, the bottom half a dozen clubs are very much aligned to the top six of league 1 imo. A sustained period (years) as manager in the Championship is required to gauge further. Grateful for what they did and the journey but for me I used the word predictable when it came to the style of play towards the end.

Last edited:
I hear what you say and agree in a host of respects. However, I have this nagging doubt wrt their alleged requirement to have considerable control on transfers for example, clubs have moved on and finding one that lets you have a certain degree of control will be difficult. Clubs nowadays have an extensive network of world scouts so having a say at the table will be more difficult. Having that control is something from bygone Div 1 / 2 days. Yes they kept Huddersfield up but have they really embedded themselves as Championship managers, the bottom half a dozen clubs are very much aligned to the top six of league 1 imo. A sustained period (years) as manager in the Championship is required to gauge further. Grateful for what they did and the journey but for me I used the word predictable when it came to the style of play towards the end.

I guess only time will tell and see where they end up and how they do. Big decision their next move though.

I guess only time will tell and see where they end up and how they do. Big decision their next move though.
I really hope they do well as I have a bet on with an ex boss of mine that they'll end up at West Ham.
I'm just glad they've left toxic town.

Think they have maybe reached the limit of their current capabilities high end Div 1 / low end of championship, done well for themselves and did all they were asked to do at Huddersfield. Will never be short financially again so no sympathy in that respect.

They'll certainly have to relinquish some control. Club's are looking for consistency now more than ever IMO.

Clubs used to sign players to fit the manager and I think that's being flipped now. Brentford have done is expertly over recent years, Exeter have as well.

Hi, I'm a newby to the forum, and it's my first post, but wanted to have a say about the Cowleys and Lincoln City. I've been a fan for 55 years, born in Lincoln in the 50's, now in Nottingham, and only get to about four games a season now, as I do a Saturday job for the FA. Was a season ticket holder back in the day, watching John Kennedy, Jim Smith, Lou Thom, Norman Corner, Bill Cobb, Ray Harford, and the rest of the merry men. I've seen all the managers, the successful, Taylor, Murphy, Alexander and the Cowleys, the enthusiastic, Moyes, Stant, Schofield, Brown, and the incompetents, Clarke, Sutton and Tilson. No-one will be more respected for their tenure and success at Sincil Bank than the Cowleys and their achievements, listed elsewhere on this thread, but guess what, they've gone....end of story.
Do we want them back?
No, we have a perfectly good manager in Appleton, and I look forward to his term of office. Lincoln will never be the club that can match their ambition, or fund it. To be frank, it's very disrespectful to Appleton to wish them back here. We couldn't match their ambition or expected salary and they moved on
Has their reputation been damaged at Huddersfield?
Yes, maybe not in the eyes of supporters and the media, but I would think a lot of chairmen will be wary of employing them, and perhaps players won't relish playing under them in the future. Would you hand over your bank account to someone who worked for you and hope they spent it wisely?
Did they plan to leave City last year as early as they did, early season?
Yes, I think so, as witnessed by last summer's recruitment, which was quite frankly bizarre, as we accumulated enough midfielders for six clubs.
Are they Championship/Premier managers in the making?
Possibly, but not a great deal of evidence to back it up. Are they more statisticians than tactic/flair developers? Are they true coaches or teachers turned managers. As an ex teacher, they tend to expect everyone to listen to them and carry out the instructions (or I'll throw the board rubber at you).
The Cowleys will always be held with great affection for the job they did at Lincoln, but it was never going to last, as I truly believe we have found our level in the football pyramid at last, thanks to them. Had they stayed, their demands and expectations would have risen and a possible fall out with Clive Nates would have been inevitable as the one with Phil Phil Hodkinson.
We owe them a great deal, and I salute them, pleased they have progressed for now, but I am actually over the moon with my home town club where we are today, in terms of its Chairman, diverse board of directors, manager, and all the staff, both football and non football. There is no better club I want to support than the Imps, and I wish everyone connected with City all the best for the 20/21 season, especially Michael Appleton. (And we are not related!) UTI.

Hi, I'm a newby to the forum, and it's my first post, but wanted to have a say about the Cowleys and Lincoln City. I've been a fan for 55 years, born in Lincoln in the 50's, now in Nottingham, and only get to about four games a season now, as I do a Saturday job for the FA. Was a season ticket holder back in the day, watching John Kennedy, Jim Smith, Lou Thom, Norman Corner, Bill Cobb, Ray Harford, and the rest of the merry men. I've seen all the managers, the successful, Taylor, Murphy, Alexander and the Cowleys, the enthusiastic, Moyes, Stant, Schofield, Brown, and the incompetents, Clarke, Sutton and Tilson. No-one will be more respected for their tenure and success at Sincil Bank than the Cowleys and their achievements, listed elsewhere on this thread, but guess what, they've gone....end of story.
Do we want them back?
No, we have a perfectly good manager in Appleton, and I look forward to his term of office. Lincoln will never be the club that can match their ambition, or fund it. To be frank, it's very disrespectful to Appleton to wish them back here. We couldn't match their ambition or expected salary and they moved on
Has their reputation been damaged at Huddersfield?
Yes, maybe not in the eyes of supporters and the media, but I would think a lot of chairmen will be wary of employing them, and perhaps players won't relish playing under them in the future. Would you hand over your bank account to someone who worked for you and hope they spent it wisely?
Did they plan to leave City last year as early as they did, early season?
Yes, I think so, as witnessed by last summer's recruitment, which was quite frankly bizarre, as we accumulated enough midfielders for six clubs.
Are they Championship/Premier managers in the making?
Possibly, but not a great deal of evidence to back it up. Are they more statisticians than tactic/flair developers? Are they true coaches or teachers turned managers. As an ex teacher, they tend to expect everyone to listen to them and carry out the instructions (or I'll throw the board rubber at you).
The Cowleys will always be held with great affection for the job they did at Lincoln, but it was never going to last, as I truly believe we have found our level in the football pyramid at last, thanks to them. Had they stayed, their demands and expectations would have risen and a possible fall out with Clive Nates would have been inevitable as the one with Phil Phil Hodkinson.
We owe them a great deal, and I salute them, pleased they have progressed for now, but I am actually over the moon with my home town club where we are today, in terms of its Chairman, diverse board of directors, manager, and all the staff, both football and non football. There is no better club I want to support than the Imps, and I wish everyone connected with City all the best for the 20/21 season, especially Michael Appleton. (And we are not related!) UTI.

Excellent start, John. Can't pick fault with any of that. Welcome aboard!

Lincoln will never be the club that can match their ambition, or fund it. UTI.

An excellent post John. I am from a similar era, so have seen them all come and go too.

The only thing I would slightly disagree with is "Lincoln will never be the club that can match the Cowley's ambition, or fund it. "

I think that applies to all managers, past and present. Taylor left because of lack of ambition at board level, Murphy had a fall out for the same reason and eventually left (before he came back), Keith Alexander moved to a club with more ambition. The same will happen with Appleton if he gets us to the fringes of the playoffs and a bigger club comes calling.

Our ground is limited, and so therefore are attendance figures. Clubs with bigger grounds will always have more potential for any Lincoln manager. The same if a club have richer benefactors.

Personally I would be quite happy if the Cowleys eventually decide that their best level is with a smaller club with limited resources that they can take as high up the ladder as possible. They had that with Lincoln, but it was way too early in their career for them not to want to test themselves at a bigger club. When Appleton inevitably moves on, the Cowleys might have accepted by then the type of club they would be best at. If they do, I would have them back.