Cowley and Dons? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Cowley and Dons?

He looked very smart yesterday as a studio pundit on SKY Sports - looked as though he had his interview gear on.

I think club ownership will be big issue for the Cowley's and now some of the bigger clubs are run very poorly and as an example Sheffield Wednesday big club with shambolic management.

Their experience at Huddersfield wasn't brilliant at the end either. The Chairman reneged on the the thing that enticed them there and that was being in charge of recruitment and that was pretty shocking really bearing in mind that they kept them in the Championship - without them they would have been playing in Div 1 this year.

Danny is waiting for the right opportunity, and AFCW is not it for a dozen reasons. Never forget that he is an intelligent man; as collingham says, he is better versed in the ways of football chairmen and their machinations than when he left us, so the likes of Sheffield Wednesday should be off his agenda. Ipswich and Charlton must be very high on his list of targets.

Huddersfield was a well paid shop window. The pair of them can now afford to wait until they get the role they want. I think they have genuine affection for Lincoln. I feel that Huddersfield was purely transactional- which to be fair is 95% of the population when it comes to a job

Wimbledon is about an hours drive from Essex....depending on the Dartford River Crossing.
Okay, make that four hours.
I was under the impression the Cowleys were still living Lincoln way ?
Yes, geographically not far but the commute would take hours. Although maybe not if they pull the long hours they did here and travel in the early hours.

But yes, they're in Lincoln and seem settled. So who knows...

Personally I think AFCW would be a good opportunity for the Cowleys to re-establish their reputation which, regardless of the HFC chairman, has suffered as a result of their HTFC "failure".

Success at AFCW (or any club at that level) would show football chairmen generally that their success at Lincoln was not a fluke. With the quality of chairmen in football nowadays, a manager needs a second successful spell somewhere to land a better job.

Look at MA. Clubs were not exactly queuing up to take him on after one success at Oxford. Clive (thankfully) saw something in him that our club needed. Other clubs didn't (again thankfully).

Sadly for us, it will mean that MA will be in huge demand if/when he gets us promotion this season a s his success at Oxford and then ourse;ves will show his true worth.

The Cowleys need exactly the same - success at a second club, even if it is in our division or below. One step forward, two steps back., sometimes.

I do agree though the Cowleys did well enough financially to wait for the opportunity that will fit them best. I'm not sure about Ipswich however as the chairman there is incredibly loyal to his managers. If Lambert makes the play-offs, he will be kept on next year - and the Cowleys need to be back in the fold well before then. Most chairmen have short memories of anyone's success.

I do wish them the best as they were a class act, and were the catalyst that got Clive here. And it is Clive's football knowledge that got us MA.

i think the Cowleys would be ideal for Notts County. Local to where they are based. DC already had experience of coaching the girls side. A project he could do another Lincoln with and get at least to Div 1.
Either that or as i've said before, I'd make them favourite for the Lincoln job, if ever Appleton leaves. Depends who else applies i guess. But i wouldnt wish Appleton to leave mind.

Personally I think AFCW would be a good opportunity for the Cowleys to re-establish their reputation which, regardless of the HFC chairman, has suffered as a result of their HTFC "failure".

Success at AFCW (or any club at that level) would show football chairmen generally that their success at Lincoln was not a fluke. With the quality of chairmen in football nowadays, a manager needs a second successful spell somewhere to land a better job.

Look at MA. Clubs were not exactly queuing up to take him on after one success at Oxford. Clive (thankfully) saw something in him that our club needed. Other clubs didn't (again thankfully).

Sadly for us, it will mean that MA will be in huge demand if/when he gets us promotion this season a s his success at Oxford and then ourse;ves will show his true worth.

The Cowleys need exactly the same - success at a second club, even if it is in our division or below. One step forward, two steps back., sometimes.

I do agree though the Cowleys did well enough financially to wait for the opportunity that will fit them best. I'm not sure about Ipswich however as the chairman there is incredibly loyal to his managers. If Lambert makes the play-offs, he will be kept on next year - and the Cowleys need to be back in the fold well before then. Most chairmen have short memories of anyone's success.

I do wish them the best as they were a class act, and were the catalyst that got Clive here. And it is Clive's football knowledge that got us MA.
I think Jez George is the person we have to thank for allerting Clive to Appleton's potential qualities. George's role also often gets overlooked when people discuss the success of player recruitment.

The Cowleys have been out of football (despite numerous TV studio appearances) longer than expected.

I think they're now in danger of developing Alan Curbishley Syndrome.

This is what Curbishley said after he'd resolved his differences with West Ham:

“...the opportunities I was being offered didn’t really appeal to me.

“It was mostly Championship stuff. Suddenly you find that it’s been two or three years and you’re out of favour. You’re forgotten."

This is an important point. After Huddersfield, despite most of us thinking it was a qualified success because it had a specific aim, I don't think most Chairmen of "progressive" Championship clubs will touch them now, because of the manner of it.

So in the Championship they'd be left looking for a club like Millwall or Rotherham who don't look like dispensing with their managers.

L1 is different but how many clubs who might currently be considering it would be at a similar level to Huddersfield? Ipswich, Charlton or Portsmouth, that's it.

Anything else is a step down and the ideal job looks a long way away.

But it they leave it too long they could end up like Curbishley.

A big problem with the Wimbledon gig is success. How do you gauge a successful manager there? I reckon they are unlikely to be involved in the top end of the division, I could be wrong, so what would constitute a job well done? If it isn't promotion then the level of "success" isn't likely to get much attention from the higher football world.

the bigger the club they have in mind, the more likely they are to come across the 'control' issues that apparently forced them to leave huddersfield.
a biggish club currently rotting away at a low level would be a good fit for them. where they could take almost total control - as they did at lincoln. that's not wimbledon, but as previously mentioned notts county could be a fit. bradford city is another one in terms of size of club and languishing (no idea what the chairman is like there).
if they really were looking for a good fit with a top chairman as the main requirement, they could have reduced our budget by 40% and stayed at lincoln.

The Cowleys have been out of football (despite numerous TV studio appearances) longer than expected.

I think they're now in danger of developing Alan Curbishley Syndrome.

This is what Curbishley said after he'd resolved his differences with West Ham:

“...the opportunities I was being offered didn’t really appeal to me.

“It was mostly Championship stuff. Suddenly you find that it’s been two or three years and you’re out of favour. You’re forgotten."

This is an important point. After Huddersfield, despite most of us thinking it was a qualified success because it had a specific aim, I don't think most Chairmen of "progressive" Championship clubs will touch them now, because of the manner of it.

So in the Championship they'd be left looking for a club like Millwall or Rotherham who don't look like dispensing with their managers.

L1 is different but how many clubs who might currently be considering it would be at a similar level to Huddersfield? Ipswich, Charlton or Portsmouth, that's it.

Anything else is a step down and the ideal job looks a long way away.

But it they leave it too long they could end up like Curbishley.

Puts it far more concisely than I did. The Cowleys have to accept a step down before they can step back up again.

If they leave it much longer they will have to accept that step down will be at an ambitious conference club again. or at a dead end League 2 side

There comes a time with football managers when any job is better than no job..