#COVID19 | Page 529 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Extend furlough then Boris comes out with this 4 week lockdown will bring the numbers right down, more mixed messages. Have to say this isn't even close to a lockdown, loads still open and people milling about all over in groups no way the figures should fall with it like this.

I can even feel myself sounding like one... but honestly chap, how do you explain the above - genuine question?

The flaw is with track and trace, that's well established. This government has presided over a total cluster fuck.

Viruses have always effected people differently, our genetics are all different, our ages, our weight etc. Then the amount of dose you are subject to, and there are different strains.

There definitely are a lot of unknowns still, and I get why we want simple answers but sometimes there just aren't any.

A) I can't read that properly to have an opinion

B) have you never worked with numbers before? Being wrong is a pretty frequent occurance.

It’s all over the news.
I do work with numbers, but the consequences of deliberately misleading in my position, or most to be fair, don’t have massive economic impacts.

They have disgraced their reputation.

It’s all over the news.
I do work with numbers, but the consequences of deliberately misleading in my position, or most to be fair, don’t have massive economic impacts.

Can you link me pls? I'm very torn in general about the path we should be following.

Can you link me pls? I'm very torn in general about the path we should be following.

From the Telegraph...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...wrong-death-toll-will-not-surpass-first-wave/

Covid graphs were wrong in suggesting daily deaths would soon surpass first wave'
Government forced to reissue key charts used to justify second lockdown after admitting projected fatalities were overstated

Official projections which pushed the country into a second lockdown have been quietly revised to no longer suggest deaths could soon overtake those at the peak of the first wave, The Telegraph has learned.

Graphs presented at a televised Downing Street press conference on Saturday suggested that the UK would see up to 1,500 Covid deaths a day by early December, far beyond the numbers seen in the first wave.

But documents released by Government show that the figures were far too high and have been "amended after an error was found". The forecast has been revised, reducing the upper end of the scale to around 1,000 deaths a day by December 8 – on a par with the peak of the pandemic in April.

Projected daily Covid-19 deaths comparison charts
Presenting the graphs on Saturday, Sir Patrick Vallance, Boris Johnson's chief scientific adviser, said the statistics, which covered a six-week period, presented "a very grim picture" with "greater certainty" than long-term modelling could provide.

But the Government Office for Science has now corrected two of the slides, reducing both the upper end of the range for deaths and that for hospital admissions by one third. While the presentation suggested daily hospital admissions could reach up to 9,000 in early December, the upper end of the range has now been cut to 6,000 in the updated slides.

It comes days after it emerged that separate modelling showing a worst-case scenario of 4,000 deaths a day by the end of December was based on out of date data which has also since been updated.

The revelation prompted former Prime Minister Theresa May to question the Government's use of statistics and ask whether "figures are chosen to support the policy rather than the policy being based on the figures".

On Thursday night, leading scientist Professor Carl Heneghan, of Oxford University, said the graphs presented at the weekend had been found to be "riddled with errors", raising concern that a desire for lockdown had seen forecasts "systematically" exaggerated.

Greg Clark, the chairman of the Commons science and technology committee, said the belated admission of errors was "of great concern", adding that the changes to the upper range in the forecast on hospital admissions was particularly concerning as this was "the key projection" in the case for lockdown.

Steve Baker, a backbench Tory MP given advance sight of the projections ahead of the Downing Street briefing, said: "Government must accept that public confidence rests on not over-egging the pudding."

On Thursday, the UK statistics watchdog criticised the Government for a lack of transparency about the data driving its lockdown policies, warning that the failings could create confusion and undermine public confidence.

It’s all over the news.

On the one hand I think its probably a mistake.

But on the other hand i'm like... 'Don't they check for mistakes?'

On the one hand I think its probably a mistake.

But on the other hand i'm like... 'Don't they check for mistakes?'

There are two explanations:

1) They didn’t check the data.

2) They did check it but thought, fuck it let’s keep this ‘sexed up’ it’s more dramatic.

Either one is outrageous.

There are two explanations:

1) They didn’t check the data.

2) They did check it but thought, fuck it let’s keep this ‘sexed up’ it’s more dramatic.

Either one is outrageous.
Hmm...
I'd like to know precisely what the error or errors were. Building a model in uncontrolled settings is incredibly difficult and complicated. If the error was something basic that could have been spotted in double checking then I would be very concerned and i would agree that that is outrageous.
It could be that some variable was justifiably missed and had a much bigger effect on the outcome than anyone realized.
Without knowing what the error is exactly we can't really know whether it could have been easily prevented or not.
That they aren't talking specifics does suggest some fuckery.

From the Telegraph...

Graphs presented at a televised Downing Street press conference on Saturday suggested that the UK would see up to 1,500 Covid deaths a day by early December, far beyond the numbers seen in the first wave.

But documents released by Government show that the figures were far too high and have been "amended after an error was found". The forecast has been revised, reducing the upper end of the scale to around 1,000 deaths a day by December 8 – on a par with the peak of the pandemic in April.

Well, that's a relief! A mere 1,000 deaths a day rather than 1,500.

Just when I've gone into brainwashed mode as the only way to stay sane for the next 28 days. Stop tempting me to go libertarian!

I know two different people who have both lost two family members.

I read an article in the summer that said there is some evidence that there is a genetic aspect to susceptibility to serious symptoms

My best mate, lifelong friend, his father has just recovered from covid in QMC. He has vascular dementia, was admitted to hospital with a chest infection from a nursing home, quickly developed pneumonia and then was diagnosed with covid.

My only point is that it clearly effects everyone differently, how it didn't finish him ill never know. Hes being fed directly into the stomach, doesnt know any member of his family, hes incredibly violent so is heavily medicated but is covid free

The furlough being extended for months after lockdown is an utter disgrace the Tory ***** are going to do it to mask the economic disaster that is their oven ready Brexit no deal & labour are too cowardly to ask questions as they want the gammon support back.

Obviously the battle between two senile old men to run the next war(s) we’re dragged into is important but the fact this furlough extension isn’t being questioned is just dog whistling to racists

& before the nutters start saint jeremy of Corbyn isn’t a remainer & this total lack of questions would be the same/worse with him in charge

My best mate, lifelong friend, his father has just recovered from covid in QMC. He has vascular dementia, was admitted to hospital with a chest infection from a nursing home, quickly developed pneumonia and then was diagnosed with covid.

My only point is that it clearly effects everyone differently, how it didn't finish him ill never know. Hes being fed directly into the stomach, doesnt know any member of his family, hes incredibly violent so is heavily medicated but is covid free

dementia is a truly horrific disease but seems to give you immunity to everything that would normally kill you, I can give you countless cases where people 20 years younger are bed bound & need feeding but there’s 96 year olds that can climb over 8ft fences and wander off into winter nights because of dementia. I wouldn’t wish it anyone but I definitely wouldn’t wish it on anyone’s family.

The furlough being extended for months after lockdown is an utter disgrace the Tory ***** are going to do it to mask the economic disaster that is their oven ready Brexit no deal & labour are too cowardly to ask questions as they want the gammon support back.

Obviously the battle between two senile old men to run the next war(s) we’re dragged into is important but the fact this furlough extension isn’t being questioned is just dog whistling to racists

& before the nutters start saint jeremy of Corbyn isn’t a remainer & this total lack of questions would be the same/worse with him in charge

before the nutters start saint jeremy of Corbyn isn’t a remainer & this total lack of questions would be the same/worse with him in charge

And you know this to be true Because????