#COVID19 | Page 330 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Nah. Not buying that.
She described the mood of the nation rather well.

I don't want Editorialisation, polemic or opinion presented as fact by the BBC. It's a slippery slope and I'd prefer at least one organisation that erred on the side of caution.

The fact is that he hasn't been found guilty of breaching lockdown rules and no matter how much I think he has the BBC has a duty to report impartially.

Capturing the zeitgeist isn't a goal for a news organisation, that road leads to Fox and it's a road I'd prefer not to walk down, no matter how self righteous I'm feeling.

Hold on, that is utterly ridiculous.

You don't lose your seat for a minor infraction.

So you don't lose your job if you're an MP, but if you're not an MP you do lose your job and livelihood . And I'm being ridiculous ! To stand down as an MP you have to go to prison, but to lose your job as an adviser you only have to make a "mistake" (copyright Lisa Nandy) .

Absolute garbage!

Denis is a very good friend of the family, as was Tony Benn, who also claimed to have voted against every EU bill which passed through Parliament.

Neither spoke about "how the man in the street was being screwed over" because it was not true.

Both had a deep loathing of the EU, primarily because it prevented them realising their dystopian ideals of re nationalisation funded by state money.

Spot on. Corbyn was also like this until he got a sniff of power.

Nah. Not buying that.
She described the mood of the nation rather well.

The narrative of the 'mood of the nation' is from her own echo chamber, Twitter timeline and the liberal hacks she banquets with.
The mood around my work colleagues is, the press should report the news, not be the news.
I've been hearing this more and more since the country had the temerity to vote to leave a trading bloc.

Last edited:
She made a categorical judgement, and a personal opinion. He hasn't been convicted, and whilst I believe he broke the rules there is enough ambiguity in them for the government's stance.

Only if u dont give a shit about integrity. Cummings breaks the rules, keeps his job. Matliss tells the truth and loses hers.

Thats not ambiguous, just BS

I don't want Editorialisation, polemic or opinion presented as fact by the BBC. It's a slippery slope and I'd prefer at least one organisation that erred on the side of caution.

The fact is that he hasn't been found guilty of breaching lockdown rules and no matter how much I think he has the BBC has a duty to report impartially.

Capturing the zeitgeist isn't a goal for a news organisation, that road leads to Fox and it's a road I'd prefer not to walk down, no matter how self righteous I'm feeling.

I do not see too much wrong with what Maitlis said; her words reflected the situation then as it does now.

The BBC actually complained not so much about what she said but about what she did not say, the omission, apparently, made the opening statement look like a personal view.

No doubt Oliver Dowden could not get on the phone quick enough to complain.

If John Humphries or Andrew Neil had used those words there would have been no rebuke.

There would have been nothing said because both would have met the allegations head on and justified their remarks; and lets face it, in that instance the justification would not have been too difficult.

Could you imagine the response if Paxman had still been on Newsnight?

I can still vividly remember the time he held Michael Howard to account; of course, that would not happen today because the Politicians do not have the balls to appear in public anymore.

The narrative of the 'mood of the nation' is from her own echo chamber, Twitter timeline and the liberal hacks she banquets with.
The mood around my work colleagues is, the press should report the news, not be the news.
I've been hearing this more and more since the country had the temerity to vote to leave a trading bloc.

Reports yesterday said around 70% of us think he broke the rules. Pretty big echo chamber.

Your view of the press is no different for advisors. Advisors advise, they do not become the issue on which a govt needs advice.

The scientists who broke lockdown resigned why is cummings still there apart from the fact bojo is too stupid/scared without Cummings to hold his hand?

If Cummings is so important, he needs to stand for office and get himself elected.

Dominic Cummings is an adviser. He is not part of the elected government, or the public health team (if you mean SAGE). The rules were made by the government. Not necessarily defending him, but seems that being seriously worried about your wife and child is far more important than driving from Wales to London to wish your dad Happy Birthday, or someone who decided to go to two funerals in one day when (from what I have read) he had no personal involvement. If Cummings is sacked, the two MPs should clearly lose there seats too.

Let's be honest here. It's clear that most people on here just hate the bloke anyhow. Can't say I particularly like him either, but at least he's doing what we voted for in the referendum. Of course most people on here don't want that to happen either.

So you're fine with unelected officials deciding our laws and running our country as long as they are doing what you want. Maybe if the EU had been more right wing....

The fact is, Cummings has become the story, which is a massive no-no for an advisor, and if the tories knew how to do this properly they would have got rid a week ago.
Why do you think Starmer is content to just let this play out? He's probably finding it hilarious and laughing all the more every time a cabinet minister defends the guy.

I personally hope they don't sack him and this story goes on and on and on. Its not like the distraction can hurt the governments covid response, which is as bad as it could be anyway.

Reports yesterday said around 70% of us think he broke the rules. Pretty big echo chamber.

Your view of the press is no different for advisors. Advisors advise, they do not become the issue on which a govt needs advice.

The scientists who broke lockdown resigned why is cummings still there apart from the fact bojo is too stupid/scared without Cummings to hold his hand?

If Cummings is so important, he needs to stand for office and get himself elected.

You're quarrelling with yourself there.

I believe he should go and have never advocated any other. But this is the very point, it's my opinion, it's your opinion it's, quite clearly Emily Maitlis' and, by extension, the BBC's opinion.

The BBC cannot have an opinion, even if it is the majority one, or one that you happen to 100% agree with.

Impartiality is in the BBC charter; if you want to listen to opinion, then tune into TalkRadio or any one of an overabundance of opinionated mouths on air, who are more than happy to speak in agreement with the listeners they court.

So you're fine with unelected officials deciding our laws and running our country as long as they are doing what you want. Maybe if the EU had been more right wing....

The fact is, Cummings has become the story, which is a massive no-no for an advisor, and if the tories knew how to do this properly they would have got rid a week ago.
Why do you think Starmer is content to just let this play out? He's probably finding it hilarious and laughing all the more every time a cabinet minister defends the guy.

I personally hope they don't sack him and this story goes on and on and on. Its not like the distraction can hurt the governments covid response, which is as bad as it could be anyway.

We should have learned our lessons from Campbell, Mandelson, et al.
Unless you were happy with those un-elected officials running our country?

No I think its bad at all times (yes, including the EU, and to a much lesser extent the House of Lords).
There's a system of scrutiny we have set up for our MPs, which means they should have the power, because they have to live up to certain standards of transparency.

That is patently untrue.

I have just listened to Nick Robinson put that excuse for a Health Minister through the ringer on the Today programme; Robinson asked the same question on a number of occasions and even re phrased the question, but did not manage to elicit a satisfactory answer, merely ten minutes of squirming and Hancock effectively telling Robinson to ask Boris

What do you think the fall out from that will be?

There wont be any because Robinson is a fully paid up Conservative.

And if you have not noticed the Press are reporting the News; the only people making the Press the News are the ones in denial, you know, the ones attempting to conflate a total abuse of power with the leave vote.

Point of order!

Mandelson was elected to parliament in 1992.

He beat Angus the Monkey in resounding fashion for the Hartlepool seat.

I remember Mandy electioneering prior to the vote; he walked into a Fish and Chip shop in Hartlepool and ordered some Fish and Chips, on seeing the vat of mushy peas he asked for some of the avocado dip as well.

That is patently untrue.

I have just listened to Nick Robinson put that excuse for a Health Minister through the ringer on the Today programme; Robinson asked the same question on a number of occasions and even re phrased the question, but did not manage to elicit a satisfactory answer, merely ten minutes of squirming and Hancock effectively telling Robinson to ask Boris

And if you have not noticed the Press are reporting the News; the only people making the Press the News are the ones in denial, you know, the ones attempting to conflate a total abuse of power with the leave vote.

Point of order!

Mandelson was elected to parliament in 1992.

He beat Angus the Monkey in resounding fashion for the Hartlepool seat.

I remember Mandy electioneering prior to the vote; he walked into a Fish and Chip shop in Hartlepool and ordered some Fish and Chips, on seeing the vat of mushy peas he asked for some of the avocado dip as well.

Before an MP he was the first 'spin doctor' under Kinnock. He was known as 'The Prince of Darkness' as, by all accounts he was ruthless with his media campaigns.

That is patently untrue.

The health minister was on R4?