Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day. | Page 55 | Vital Football

Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day.

A vaccine is our and the worlds only hope....else this lockdown open up lockdown scenario will crucify everyone .....after all this of course the world will reset the banks to zero as the silly debt/loan money will never be paid back. And everyone's shares and investments will probably zeroise as well. Tough shit eh!

My livelihood is now under threat. I cant open my antiques shop as its non essential. It also relies on footfall from a busy Tearooms/ Restaurant which is obviously going to close so even if non essentials were allowed to open, there wouldn't be much point.
I am just going to have to try and ride it out.

Sadly, if you're in retail you were always in for an almost impossible time; get as much as you can onto the online auction sites, yes you know it will be tough, it will be expsensive but like many a small business I've advised through our local chamber of commerce, I'd say to you what I say to them 'cash is king' = liquidate stock and turn into cash as fast or as best as you can to meet your circumstances - suspend (or end) all non essential spending, if you can, get the goverbment backed small loan (I think it's up to 50k - if you have any sort of relationship with your bank, they'll now wizz it through).

Stay focused on what's important: the 'here and now' not what tomorrow, next month or next year might confront you with.

I don't want to be seen to be condesending Nick, so aplogies in advance if that is how it reads - just thought some simple advice might help get you through!

Hang Tough - you know you can.

A vaccine is our and the worlds only hope....else this lockdown open up lockdown scenario will crucify everyone .....after all this of course the world will reset the banks to zero as the silly debt/loan money will never be paid back. And everyone's shares and investments will probably zeroise as well. Tough shit eh!

A number of vaccines are on the cusp and permanent 'blockers' to this virus could be with us by the end of next year.

Everyone has to try to think and act positive, hell our grandfathers, great grandfather and even fathers have all faced up to the uncertainty of war and got through it, we can too.

Last edited:
Sadly, if you're in retail you were always in for an almost impossible time; get as much as you can onto the online auction sites, yes you know it will be tough, it will be expsensive but like many a small business I've advised through our local chamber of commerce, I'd say to you what I say to them 'cash is king' = liquidate stock and turn into cash as fast or as best as you can to meet your circumstances - suspend (or end) all non essential spending, if you can, get the goverbment backed small loan (I think it's up to 50k - if you have any sort of relationship with your bank, they'll now wizz it through).

Stay focused on what's important: the 'here and now' not what tomorrow, next month or next year might confront you with.

I don't want to be seen to be condesending Nick, so aplogies in advance if that is how it reads - just thought some simple advice might help get you through!

Hang Tough - you know you can.

I already operate via ebay and facebook marketplace but mainly deal in items that cant be posted and need collecting from the shop. That's ok if we are there but it's a grey area if we meet customers at the shop for them to collect items, possibly against the law. I dont want to borrow money at my time of life. My stock is feel good factor oriented, people buy mostly out of their need to own it to cheer themselves up. Antiques are one of the first sectors to suffer in depressed times, people lose confidence and tighten the purse strings. They need to pay the mortgage and buy food. I have seen the trend quite a few times. I was just beginning to build that momentum up after the first lockdown with customers coming back. Now this . I'm not complaining, it has to be done, it's just a kick in the teeth especially as I have health issues to contend with.
I started upping stock levels and gradually creating interest in the place both retail and trade, now back to square one.

I already operate via ebay and facebook marketplace but mainly deal in items that cant be posted and need collecting from the shop. That's ok if we are there but it's a grey area if we meet customers at the shop for them to collect items, possibly against the law. I dont want to borrow money at my time of life. My stock is feel good factor oriented, people buy mostly out of their need to own it to cheer themselves up. Antiques are one of the first sectors to suffer in depressed times, people lose confidence and tighten the purse strings. They need to pay the mortgage and buy food. I have seen the trend quite a few times. I was just beginning to build that momentum up after the first lockdown with customers coming back. Now this . I'm not complaining, it has to be done, it's just a kick in the teeth especially as I have health issues to contend with.
I started upping stock levels and gradually creating interest in the place both retail and trade, now back to square one.
Sorry for you Nick, but as the old saying goes "chin up" mate, you/we will get through this, you will probably have a story to tell your grand kids one day, those were the days.

Try! if possible "look on the bright side" cheers mate keep going.

Nick, just trying to throw suggestions in the air....

Have you considered the Bounce Back Loan for the business?

It's been my saviour....amongst other assistance from the gov't.

I dont want debt around my neck at my age. I am trying to be more creative by offering the business to investors who fancy getting into the trade but that is on the back burner again now.

I dont want debt around my neck at my age. I am trying to be more creative by offering the business to investors who fancy getting into the trade but that is on the back burner again now.

Yes, I noted your earlier comment about loan not being an option. Was just checking (with due respect) that you were aware of the attraction of almost zilch interest, nothing to pay for 12 months, no penalty for early settlement, etc..

I took out one based on the assumption that 12 months from now we should be back to some normality. I have barely used 1/3rd of the borrowing, built up my reserves upon return from the last lockdown. Hoping to pay off at least half of the loan in one lump when due. So a monthly repayment should be very affordable for me. However, if we continue with the uncertainty, it wouldn't surprise me if the repayment terms are revised by the gov't to mitigate the hardship.

Hope things work out for you. GL.

I'm sorry to hear about all this, Nick. This virus is a massive arsehole. I also hope things work out for you. I have loads of fond memories of going to antiques stores with my parents when I was a kid. Sometimes it wasnt the most exciting place to be for a 4 to 10 year old, but there was always a lot of fun to be had thinking about the history of the antiques.

Sorry I can't offer more than that pointless anecdote. Good luck mate.

I'm sorry to hear about all this, Nick. This virus is a massive arsehole. I also hope things work out for you. I have loads of fond memories of going to antiques stores with my parents when I was a kid. Sometimes it wasnt the most exciting place to be for a 4 to 10 year old, but there was always a lot of fun to be had thinking about the history of the antiques.

well salavge hunters have shown that you can build a very viable antigues and collectibles business online....admittedly you have to spend to build your brand, but it can be done - he sells large tickets items as well as small all online and ships his sales all over the World.

Nick, post your website. I will email it to all my antique loving friends. As, I am sure, will most people on here.

Fond memories are one of the key attractions. So many people say.....Wow it's like stepping back in time in here as they wander around the place. It's a large converted barn full of vintage furniture, pictures, mirrors, decorative items etc, no new stuff or fake repro Chinese rubbish.

I have been in the game many years, been on TV on Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is and Bargain Hunt, buying and selling to their so called experts. I have been used as a consultant for two books on antiques. I have supplied vintage pictures and mirrors to a national restaurant chain by the pallet load. I adapt to the market influences as a progressive dealer, lately it's been more functional items to furnish the home, not frivolous collectables. Tables, chairs, cabinets, sideboards etc. I started purely in decorative antiques and sold at all the fairs across the Country. Met some famous people too. Ranieri, Alan Minter, Johnny Herbert, Roger Doutltrys wife, Raine Spencer , I have a well known actress come to the shop buying from me. I have sold to the Daily Mail, the Italian Embassy in London and Eastenders film set studio.
I know what I'm doing but I also know what sells and when it sells and now ain't the time. People are worried and to buy antiques you have to feel good and confident. It's a good time to buy though as dealers like me have to let their stock go at low prices to generate sales.

Fond memories are one of the key attractions. So many people say.....Wow it's like stepping back in time in here as they wander around the place. It's a large converted barn full of vintage furniture, pictures, mirrors, decorative items etc, no new stuff or fake repro Chinese rubbish.

I have been in the game many years, been on TV on Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is and Bargain Hunt, buying and selling to their so called experts. I have been used as a consultant for two books on antiques. I have supplied vintage pictures and mirrors to a national restaurant chain by the pallet load. I adapt to the market influences as a progressive dealer, lately it's been more functional items to furnish the home, not frivolous collectables. Tables, chairs, cabinets, sideboards etc. I started purely in decorative antiques and sold at all the fairs across the Country. Met some famous people too. Ranieri, Alan Minter, Johnny Herbert, Roger Doutltrys wife, Raine Spencer , I have a well known actress come to the shop buying from me. I have sold to the Daily Mail, the Italian Embassy in London and Eastenders film set studio.
I know what I'm doing but I also know what sells and when it sells and now ain't the time. People are worried and to buy antiques you have to feel good and confident. It's a good time to buy though as dealers like me have to let their stock go at low prices to generate sales.

This is the high end retailer in Toronto and our area.

http://mausparkantiques.ca/

T-cell response 'lasts six months after Covid infection'
By Philippa Roxby
Health reporter
Published
13 hours ago