Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day. | Page 54 | Vital Football

Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day.

Couldn't even organise his news conference on time. Bunch of indecisive twonks.

Can someone explain to me what's so special about starting the lockdown on Thursday? Is it to allow shops to put up signs and hand out P45's?

Let's start a book on how many ministers, advisers break the rules.

Stay safe guys.

PS. Nick, hang in there mate.

I called it a few weeks ago that they'd lock down soon to allow families to meet at Christmas.

That press conference was a joke. I understand they didn't want to do it til Monday but were caught off guard by a leak but even so... starting 2.5 hours after it's initially intended and then just hitting us with poorly represented and often poorly explained graphs, spreadsheets and tables... And can't someone get them a clicker? "next slide please"

Really unfortunate people didn't take this shit seriously from day one. woulda been alot easier to take care of it then, and nearly impossible now.

Interesting that because people aren't willing to sacrifice for the greater good for 6 weeks, instead we will be dealing with this now for years.

Pretty damn arrogant to me.

Really unfortunate people didn't take this shit seriously from day one. woulda been alot easier to take care of it then, and nearly impossible now.

Interesting that because people aren't willing to sacrifice for the greater good for 6 weeks, instead we will be dealing with this now for years.

Pretty damn arrogant to me.

The problem with this virus is the only full defence is to isolate everyone until vaccines are available....of course that is impossible if people are to continue to live, so key workers continue to work to provide essential services and the virus still spreads, but at a lower rate....as soon as the lockdown is released the infection rates rise again....meanwhile the economy tanks, businesses fail, people lose jobs, people die in numbers higher than COVID from other diseases that don’t hit the headlines....

Bottom line, the only practical defence we have against COVID right now is practicing social distancing, wearing masks in indoor situations and frequent washing of hands coupled with an effective test and trace system.....the economy needs to stay open and people have to act responsibly, but without an effective test and trace system, which is the case here in the UK the virus will always win until an effective vaccine is available.

The problem with this virus is the only full defence is to isolate everyone until vaccines are available....of course that is impossible if people are to continue to live, so key workers continue to work to provide essential services and the virus still spreads, but at a lower rate....as soon as the lockdown is released the infection rates rise again....meanwhile the economy tanks, businesses fail, people lose jobs, people die in numbers higher than COVID from other diseases that don’t hit the headlines....

Bottom line, the only practical defence we have against COVID right now is practicing social distancing, wearing masks in indoor situations and frequent washing of hands coupled with an effective test and trace system.....the economy needs to stay open and people have to act responsibly, but without an effective test and trace system, which is the case here in the UK the virus will always win until an effective vaccine is available.
But what do you though if people don't social distance, wear masks and wash their hands? Whilst life will never be normal until we have a vaccine it could be a whole lot better if people took some responsibility.

I can see lockdown being a regular feature of our lives until we get a vaccine. One month on, a couple of months off, one month on to put the brakes on.....

But what do you though if people don't social distance, wear masks and wash their hands? Whilst life will never be normal until we have a vaccine it could be a whole lot better if people took some responsibility.

I can see lockdown being a regular feature of our lives until we get a vaccine. One month on, a couple of months off, one month on to put the brakes on.....
Therein lies the problem. If people took more responsibility for their actions everywhere would remain open. Why is this so difficult for them to understand?

The problem with this virus is the only full defence is to isolate everyone until vaccines are available....

This is 100% not true. It is our social behaviours that cause the 'pandemic' spread of these diseases. If we alter our social behaviour, the spread of the disease is altered. The key is to DO IT RIGHT AWAY. Restrict, isolate, mark, and track.

6 weeks of real effort would have limited the spread to manageable 'epidemics', and not put this type of strain on everyone.

People won't do it tho, cause they got rights!

..., people die in numbers higher than COVID from other diseases that don’t hit the headlines....

Not sure people continue to make this out as some rational argument.

This is a specious comparison of zero value. Only seems to be some kind of 'excuse making' or 'downplaying' of the severity of this disease. Over and again, I see this, some bit of "Oh see the COVID thing aint that bad" and yet this claim is always followed by wrong or misinterpreted data, and attributes to sketchy fringe weirdos.

Stats of how many people die from Influenzas, for example, has zero whatsoever to do with how many die from COVID. and no, nobody is classifying auto crash deaths as COVID if the corpse tests positive. That stuff is just plain stupid talk.

Pretty sure if 250,000 Americans had died from flu in 7 months, it would be a worldwide headline.

Last edited:

You could be right but if that happens there is no point coming out of lockdown...there will be nothing left.....

My view is eventually we’ll just have to run with it...if you die, you die.

This is 100% not true. It is our social behaviours that cause the 'pandemic' spread of these diseases. If we alter our social behaviour, the spread of the disease is altered. The key is to DO IT RIGHT AWAY. Restrict, isolate, mark, and track.

6 weeks of real effort would have limited the spread to manageable 'epidemics', and not put this type of strain on everyone.

People won't do it tho, cause they got rights!

Not sure people continue to make this out as some rational argument.

This is a specious comparison of zero value. Only seems to be some kind of 'excuse making' or 'downplaying' of the severity of this disease. Over and again, I see this, some bit of "Oh see the COVID thing aint that bad" and yet this claim is always followed by wrong or misinterpreted data, and attributes to sketchy fringe weirdos.

Stats of how many people die from Influenzas, for example, has zero whatsoever to do with how many die from COVID. and no, nobody is classifying auto crash deaths as COVID if the corpse tests positive. That stuff is just plain stupid talk.

Pretty sure if 250,000 Americans had died from flu in 7 months, it would be a worldwide headline.

You obviously didn’t read what I wrote about behaviour and test and trace being key plus dementia and cancer have killed more people in the uk than COVID over the same period but alarmists with political points to score don’t make any noise about that...From your own CDC...but not in the headlines...
New Cancer Cases

video-abstract-trends.jpg

In this video abstract, CDC’s Dr. Hannah Weir talks about her work to project trends in new cancer cases and deaths to the year 2020. Rates for many cancers are decreasing or stabilizing, but the number of cancer cases and deaths will continue to increase.
Between 2010 and 2020, we expect the number of new cancer cases in the United States to go up about 24% in men to more than 1 million cases per year, and by about 21% in women to more than 900,000 cases per year.
The kinds of cancer we expect to increase the most are—
  • Melanoma (the deadliest kind of skin cancer) in white men and women.
  • Prostate, kidney, liver, and bladder cancers in men.
  • Lung, breast, uterine, and thyroid cancers in women.

Non essential shops were locked down previously before masks were mandatory. With hand sanitizer , distancing or maximum allowed customers and a mask I dont understand why non essential shops have to shut.
I concur. How can they penalize small businesses & yet allow huge supermarket chains to remain open. The whole thing's a nonsense. More people equals more risk, never mind the endless queues.

In answer to your question Steve, I believe its the me me me country/world no respect for others place we live in now
We're living in a world i no longer know, like an alternate reality where people are doing whatever they like & be damned the consequences. Unfortunately for us it is all too real.

So how will the 2nd lockdown affect everyone?

Apparently the supermarkets were rammed with people stocking up over the weekend. The panic buying has started again. Our Regus office is like the Mari Celeste this morning. The working from home thing has started already.

A friend of mine lost his dad to Covid last week. He was a cancer sufferer and contracted it whilst in hospital. Probably cost him his last year of his life. They are now worried about the funeral arrangements obviously.

I'm thinking of an alcohol free November and going back into the intermittent fasting to lose some weight. Trying to find a positive out of this miserable period for the country.

Deep breath....

This was always going to be inevitable when we decided that we had to have a truncated form of 'normal' behaviour in abnormal times.

Sadly, whilst we now are the 6th biggest economy in the World, we now no longer have the reserves to match - so we borrow, and borrow and borrow.

Trying to find a balance between keeping businesses open, socializing and viable and worst of all attempting to educate our children is an almost impossible balance to keep.

The competing pressures on the government is almost unbearable - first we had the advocates of 'herd immunity' all screaming like mad that we'd got the lockdown approach wrong, then we had all and sundry saying we locked down too late (we didn't) then we've had sectors of the economy all exclaiming that they couldn't/wouldn't survive if the lockdown went on too long, then when it was eased we had huge sections of the economy demanding more and more government help and huge handouts (including our own club!).

Now after realizing that this horrible thing was out of control, we have another lockdown that has ALL the business organisations bar none screaming blue murder at the government for doing so.

It's a no win situation, what seems firm decision making one moment is called 'reckless' the next by the next self-interested lobby group.

The bottom line is simple now - we have the experience of what the real death rate is and the way the infection rate takes off at every chance; if we'd continued as we were before this second lockdown a death toll of 500,000 in a few months was and may still be a real possibility, if no vaccine comes (but I believe it will by the end of the year) then we can count on a millon dead with around 100,00 - 250,000 with long-covid..

Afraid so many in our society have not taken personal responsibility and so many have behaved badly that far from 'all being in it together' it's clear that many parts of our society have formed the opinion they couldn't give a damn if it impinges their personal freedom and have abdicated all responsibility to the government; science, good science with empirical evidence has been for many sectors of our morally bankrupt society (generally the less well educated) see this as no more than some form of control conspiracy!

Sadly, only your own smarts, your own decision making will get you through this - too many are just behaving too selfishly.

Last edited:
My livelihood is now under threat. I cant open my antiques shop as its non essential. It also relies on footfall from a busy Tearooms/ Restaurant which is obviously going to close so even if non essentials were allowed to open, there wouldn't be much point.
I am just going to have to try and ride it out.