Coventry Leaving The Ricoh (Again) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Coventry Leaving The Ricoh (Again)

What is the purpose of the bond?
It doesn't say, but presumably they would forfeit all or part of it should they not provide concrete evidence of a plan to return to the city for 2020-21. That may be linked to the quarterly reviews. SISU did say that a groundshare would cost the club a lot of money in a number of ways, so perhaps that is one of them.

My local(ish) knowledge tells me St Andrews is a lot further than 6 miles from Coventry city centre

"Fisher told Talksport last week that "the Ricoh is, practically speaking, the only option we've got" as they have been told by the EFL that they must play within six miles of Coventry city centre, thereby scuppering any thoughts of a return to Northampton, their temporary home in the 2013-14 season.

"We've had it in writing umpteen times that we have to play in Coventry. We've got to play within six miles of the city centre, simple as," he said."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47441459

It's a good 15 miles as the crow flies. 20 plus on the road systems.
I do wonder if they've stretched it to town boundaries to get around this

14 miles for me rather than 35 so happy days. Plus there will be no issue in getting in as many Cov fans will refuse to attend games there

I think the EFL have re-defined Birmingham as now being part of Coventry. Seriously, I wouldn't put it past them...

I suppose though a reasonable solution needs to be considered. If for some unlikely reason we couldn't use Sincil Bank finding a suitable ground within 6 miles of LIncoln City centre would be very difficult so this must be an appropriate compromise

I suppose though a reasonable solution needs to be considered. If for some unlikely reason we couldn't use Sincil Bank finding a suitable ground within 6 miles of LIncoln City centre would be very difficult so this must be an appropriate compromise

The EFL imposed those rules on Coventry knowing full well the history and prospects for finding another suitable ground within 6 miles

The EFL imposed those rules on Coventry knowing full well the history and prospects for finding another suitable ground within 6 miles

Fair enough but would that restrict them to Nuneaton which having been there isn't up to League standard so clearly compromise has had to be the order of the day. I do wonder what happens next season and beyond though

Fair enough but would that restrict them to Nuneaton which having been there isn't up to League standard so clearly compromise has had to be the order of the day. I do wonder what happens next season and beyond though

Yep, agreed, which makes you wonder why they imposed that restriction in the first place?

Yep, agreed, which makes you wonder why they imposed that restriction in the first place?

You would think a more meaningful restriction would be to play at the nearest ground that meets EFL standards...maybe add in "of a club that doesn't hate you".

You would think a more meaningful restriction would be to play at the nearest ground that meets EFL standards...maybe add in "of a club that doesn't hate you".

I can't see that working. Would clubs want to double the number of fixtures played on their pitch. For Mansfield and Bury with their Barcelona style of football it would be a nightmare. On the other hand we don't use the middle 1/3 in any case so it would not matter. As for Coventry just bloody kick them out. Some of this post contains sarcasm.

I can't see that working. Would clubs want to double the number of fixtures played on their pitch. For Mansfield and Bury with their Barcelona style of football it would be a nightmare. On the other hand we don't use the middle 1/3 in any case so it would not matter. As for Coventry just bloody kick them out. Some of this post contains sarcasm.

Well there's the whole "Are Villa at home the same day as Birmingham" thing to take into account when doing the fixtures, which Coventry can surely only add to the confusion now?

doesn't sound like they will be back at the ricoh while wasps are still there.
i wonder how long it will take them to find a new location and build a new stadium in the coventry area. 15 years?

Well there's the whole "Are Villa at home the same day as Birmingham" thing to take into account when doing the fixtures, which Coventry can surely only add to the confusion now?

With Villa now back in the EPL that shouldn't be much of an issue. Villa will often be playing at times to suit TV. Plus the Bescot is almost as close to Villa as St. Andrews, only a couple of junctions up the M6 and I don't think that causes problems.

I remember it well, we sold about 1,000 tickets , it was then announced you could pay on the gate. About 3,000 imps turned up. They kept having to move the segregation across. I think we got in 15 mins after kick off
I got in about 5 minute before KO, it was a right nightmare.

IIRC, it was a good game and we gave a decent account of ourselves.

A weird thing about the Birmingham game - didn't/doesn't their mascot run from one diagonal of the pitch to the other to music before the teams come out?!

Says it all:

"Until Coventry City owns its own stadium, it will be at the mercy of a conflicted landlord, imposing onerous demands and conditions as a requirement for any deal".