Coronavirus | Page 27 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

My last share for today... just came across this excellent video on the actual causes of death from Covid.

A bit heavy on the Latin and the biology talk... but very interesting nonetheless.

(Still not as good as UK Column though!)

So today's 'highlights'...

Tourism bosses (across companies including airlines, hotels, restaurants etc.) have said that they will have to make up to 60% of their workforces redundant if the 14 day quarantine comes into play next week (Source: Daily Telegraph). The 'government' are so far holding firm on their frankly ludicrous plan, therefore putting people already on low salaries out of work and on to unemployment benefit for God knows how long... in some cases perhaps forever given the amount of low skilled work that is used in these industries.

I'm not usually one for such drastic language, but if this situation is allowed, then it will be one of the biggest disgraces ever committed by a sitting government (although to be fair there have been plenty of those to choose from in the last 3 months).

And on the subject of disgrace, who's back today addressing a House of Lords committee? Good old Professor Neil Ferguson telling us his computer is predicting a second Covid wave in September. I hope the Lords give that the short shrift it deserves, although quite why he has again been allowed that platform and level of influence, goodness only knows. Thankfully, small sections of the media (not the BBC or The Guardian of course given that they are funded by the same people that fund Ferguson's unit at Imperial College) are already debunking that (e.g. Professor Hugh Pennington in the Telegraph today... not to mention Director of Public Health, Environment and Social Determinants Maria Neira at the WHO last week). I hope more of the mainstream press do the same in the days to come but I won't be holding my breath.

My big questions for today... how is it possible that such blatant government mis-management on people's livelihoods is seemingly being allowed to go ahead, and without any kind of noticeable opposition from any political party? And why are the same failed 'experts' allowed a platform of influence on future Covid policy like Neil Ferguson has? I'm very confused... help...

Why is he still in a job? Where are the 'no confidence' votes in Parliament? Where's the UK's Head of State (I can answer that... she's out riding a f**king horse) asking what is going on? Where's the accountability from anywhere?

And so while the media (and the public) scream about Dominic Cummings, these failures (and many others to better protect lives and livelihoods) get left behind? Where is the real journalism that is supposed to challenge agendas, performance and competence?

Sorry gentlemen... today's been a bad day.

"My big questions for today... how is it possible that such blatant government mis-management on people's livelihoods is seemingly being allowed to go ahead, and without any kind of noticeable opposition from any political party? And why are the same failed 'experts' allowed a platform of influence on future Covid policy like Neil Ferguson has? I'm very confused... help..."

Once elected, the UK government is essentially unaccountable for 5 years, or is so when it has a large majority, which it has.

The form of democracy we have in the UK is one that I have always described as "democracy-lite", i.e. the minimum needed to persuade us plebs that we have a say in things (we mostly don't).

It isn't the only way to do it and imho is just about the worst form you can have and still - just about! - apply the label "democracy" to the system.

It is especially exposed for what it is when you have lying, incompetent, venal spivs, chancers and charlatans in power, as we do at the moment.

Although where Keir Starmer is, is a very good question!

I suspect he may be following Napoleon's dictum: never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Although where Keir Starmer is, is a very good question!

I suspect he may be following Napoleon's dictum: never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

That’s the best piece of political analysis I’ve seen in weeks Nottyimp!

Why is he still in a job? Where are the 'no confidence' votes in Parliament? Where's the UK's Head of State (I can answer that... she's out riding a f**king horse) asking what is going on? Where's the accountability from anywhere?

And so while the media (and the public) scream about Dominic Cummings, these failures (and many others to better protect lives and livelihoods) get left behind? Where is the real journalism that is supposed to challenge agendas, performance and competence?

Sorry gentlemen... today's been a bad day.

If you have a majority of 80 you're not accountable to anyone. Hell if you have a majority of around 100 you can join in a war in the Middle East regardless of what anyone else thinks...

If you have a majority of 80 you're not accountable to anyone. Hell if you have a majority of around 100 you can join in a war in the Middle East regardless of what anyone else thinks...

Especially so when the opposition at the time supported the war as well.

Whichever way you look at it, a disgraceful episode in British history that has, inevitably, lead to a shit-ton more of the usual problems in the middle-east.

Hilariously, Tony Blair *still* denies it enabled ISIS.

Whichever way you look at it, a disgraceful episode in British history that has, inevitably, lead to a shit-ton more of the usual problems in the middle-east.

Good heavens Notty we actually agree on something.

Yes, Blair's legacy in that regard - by following Bluto Bush and our involvement in that war generally - has really turned him into a villain.

Great shame. We all thought genocide had ended in Europe after the last war, but when it kicked off in Yugoslavia, the rest of Europe stood back and watched. Although I've been pro European, I always thought that inaction by the EC was a matter of shame. The response by the international community was ultimately still inadequate, but Blair led from the front to try and do something, and without him nothing would have happened, with even more lives lost and ruined

A sad irony

Yes, Blair's legacy in that regard - by following Bluto Bush and our involvement in that war generally - has really turned him into a villain.

Great shame. We all thought genocide had ended in Europe after the last war, but when it kicked off in Yugoslavia, the rest of Europe stood back and watched. Although I've been pro European, I always thought that inaction by the EC was a matter of shame. The response by the international community was ultimately still inadequate, but Blair led from the front to try and do something, and without him nothing would have happened, with even more lives lost and ruined

A sad irony

I also really object to Blair's attempt at historical revisionism regarding that war. Time and again when interviewed he says the equivalent of "we removed a brutal dictator who murdered millions of his own people" as the justification for the war.

But at the time of the negotiations with Iraq over removing their WMD Blair explicitly came out and made the offer "If you remove your WMD you can remain in power"...

He has been allowed to get away with this revisionism time and time again on TV and in media interviews and it's about time someone in the media pulled him up on it because it's a disgusting misrepresentation of their position at the time, cloaking their war in a completely inappropriate moral revisionism.