Coronavirus | Page 26 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Well this thread is certainly an interesting one... not the sort you'd normally expect to find on a football site... very interesting stuff.

Most of you guys here seem to be very pro-lockdown, and I noticed a few comments previously about my adopted country Sweden. Therefore, this graph makes quite interesting reading, especially if you were to play a game of 'Spot the Epidemic'...

View attachment 39822

The numbers for May should be out shortly so I'll try and put these up if/when I find them.

Interestingly, the Norwegian government have come out recently and said they would follow the Swedish model if there was any second wave... maybe that means it's not so bad after all if a Norwegian can admit a Swede is doing something better!

Two final recommendations... you may be interested that a German scientific group have started up a website and campaign against lockdowns... a short video is here about that...

And I'd also highly recommend the excellent UK Column news bulletins that go out on YouTube every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Friday's bulletin was a particularly good one as it had some interesting stuff on the antibody testing that I can see has been discussed on here several times.

Am new to these boards but will try looking in on this thread more regularly from now on... some very interesting stuff discussed here.

On the other hand
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52853556

And some evidence Sweden's approach might work in Sweden, but wouldn't work in, say, they UK
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...19-sweden-hasn-t-cracked-the-coronavirus-code

Last edited:
To play devils advocate, I suspect Norway is looking at adopting the "Swedish model" as a way out of a highly effective lock-down with a much lower death-rate. I doubt it has anything to do with thinking it was better initially.

Also - and this something people don't seem to understand when making these comparisons - time is critical. The sooner you act, the more options you have.

As I noted above, the utter failure of the UK government to stop wildfire spread in the early stages led them down the path they adopted with very few other options to prevent an overwhelmed NHS and mass death.

Just tried it on mine, and it has opened. A thing appears in the bottom left hand corner of my screen to click on finishes mp4. But I'll see if there's another way

Try this - the address is copied onto a Word doc - still need to look in bottom LH corner for a tag to open

Attachments

• a temp imp.docx
    11.5 KB · Views: 3
To play devils advocate, I suspect Norway is looking at adopting the "Swedish model" as a way out of a highly effective lock-down with a much lower death-rate. I doubt it has anything to do with thinking it was better initially.

The Norwegian Institute Of Public Health concluded in a report the Norwegian outbreak was already slowing before the country went into a strict lockdown. They claimed less restrictive measures might have been sufficient,and urged the authorities to avoid taking such a heavy handed approach in the event of a second wave.

The Norwegian Institute Of Public Health concluded in a report the Norwegian outbreak was already slowing before the country went into a strict lockdown. They claimed less restrictive measures might have been sufficient,and urged the authorities to avoid taking such a heavy handed approach in the event of a second wave.

Source? Not asking to be difficult, but because that sounds interesting.

Although, death-wise, it's difficult to argue Norway didn't have the better strategy than Sweden, even allowing for the difficulties of comparison.

Although, death-wise, it's difficult to argue Norway didn't have the better strategy than Sweden, even allowing for the difficulties of comparison.

I think that judgement on this should probably be reserved till the end of the year when overall excess deaths and also causes of death can be properly analysed and compared with previous years. This is something that absolutely has to happen in the UK as well.

What is slowly (dare I say finally) starting to seep into the British mainstream media are some of the other catastrophic effects of lockdown on public health and well-being. Here's an article from the Mail about cancer patients...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tients-caught-coronavirus-cancer-backlog.html

Will we ever truly know the true cost of lockdown on the overall excess deaths? Probably not. But it's a debate that definitely needs to take place if or when the dust on Covid settles.

Other highlights from my daily trail of news included this - and it's seemingly very good news - from one of the very top directors at the WHO:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020...-of-coronavirus-being-increasingly-ruled-out/

I'm really not sure why this hasn't been covered at all by the mainstream press. I hate to say it, but if she'd predicted a whole new wave of death, would it have picked up a lot more traction?

And finally, if you guys didn't look at the UK Column bulletin I linked in my previous post, their latest bulletin is out today. I am finding this absolutely essential viewing as we move into a much wider scope of the Covid situation. Really can't recommend highly enough spending 45 minutes of your time on these thrice weekly bulletins. Highlights today included:

- the public release of the SAGE meeting minutes (which apparently only happened today)
- discussion on a proposal to hold trials without juries because of the backlog of cases due to lockdown
- effects of the contact tracing apps being recommended for the UK
- a small mention of Sweden reporting Q1 economic growth despite the Covid situation

I think that judgement on this should probably be reserved till the end of the year when overall excess deaths and also causes of death can be properly analysed and compared with previous years. This is something that absolutely has to happen in the UK as well.

What is slowly (dare I say finally) starting to seep into the British mainstream media are some of the other catastrophic effects of lockdown on public health and well-being. Here's an article from the Mail about cancer patients...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tients-caught-coronavirus-cancer-backlog.html

Will we ever truly know the true cost of lockdown on the overall excess deaths? Probably not. But it's a debate that definitely needs to take place if or when the dust on Covid settles.

Other highlights from my daily trail of news included this - and it's seemingly very good news - from one of the very top directors at the WHO:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020...-of-coronavirus-being-increasingly-ruled-out/

I'm really not sure why this hasn't been covered at all by the mainstream press. I hate to say it, but if she'd predicted a whole new wave of death, would it have picked up a lot more traction?

And finally, if you guys didn't look at the UK Column bulletin I linked in my previous post, their latest bulletin is out today. I am finding this absolutely essential viewing as we move into a much wider scope of the Covid situation. Really can't recommend highly enough spending 45 minutes of your time on these thrice weekly bulletins. Highlights today included:

- the public release of the SAGE meeting minutes (which apparently only happened today)
- discussion on a proposal to hold trials without juries because of the backlog of cases due to lockdown
- effects of the contact tracing apps being recommended for the UK
- a small mention of Sweden reporting Q1 economic growth despite the Covid situation

For sure - but here's the thing, without lock-down it seems highly likely that the NHS would have been overwhelmed which would have led to even more excess deaths, at least in the short-term.

The take-away for me is what it always has been:

1) Time is critical - lock-down early, things are *always* going to be better later on in a pandemic.

2) Prepare well in advance. This covers both pandemic response and keeping the NHS up to capacity for other health-care needs. The UK government failed to do this on both counts.

3) Test, trace, isolate. We knew about this virus in January and it's now June and we still don't have a functioning system.

All the above give you options that our incompetent government didn't have by dint of their sheer ineptitude.

They can't even draw the dots, never mind connect them up.

"I'm really not sure why this hasn't been covered at all by the mainstream press. I hate to say it, but if she'd predicted a whole new wave of death, would it have picked up a lot more traction?"

Yes! Bad news is always, er, good news.

Sunday Telegraph article.

"I'm really not sure why this hasn't been covered at all by the mainstream press. I hate to say it, but if she'd predicted a whole new wave of death, would it have picked up a lot more traction?"

Yes! Bad news is always, er, good news.
Sadly Sir you're so right. But in these times, we could do with a bit of good news too couldn't we?