Coronavirus | Page 436 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

The thing is that we are social animals and the elderly need groceries, health check ups and carers. You'd have to lock up those people too. Then you'd also have to lock up their families and anyone their families regularly come into contact with. Eventually, that circle becomes everyone.

Groceries we can do with social distantly, I’ve seen neighbours have deliveries left on the doorstep and the driver moves away. Biggest risk, is that the virus is on the carrier bags and transmits that way, but the risk of contraction is much higher if the elderly go into store themselves.

Carers, yes that’s more difficult. Test careers daily, with the hourly tests?

I must have been near to someone with covid as I had an alert from the track and trace app to say the risk had been analysed and found to be minimum.

I must have been near to someone with covid as I had an alert from the track and trace app to say the risk had been analysed and found to be minimum.

Yes. I had one yesterday. Coming off 2 weeks of isolation another 2 weeks would have been the last thing I needed

100%, I’ve been in this place for a couple of months, @wittonite was arguing it too amongst others.

Key KPI is managing R to 1 or below, so hospitals don’t get overwhelmed. So we in the UK need to act because that’s out of control. This is purely to manage workload of ICU’s, and give everyone the best chance to survive.

The tactic for me has to change. Rather than lockdown everyone, we need to financially and logistically support the elderly and vulnerable. And that’s not just government, companies need to act responsibly too. If someone who is vulnerable is a tyre fitter, they need to be supported by the government and by companies to be furloughed to avoid more deaths, and the company will have to suffer. The problem is, that the amount of money paid out during furlough on false or dodgy claims was enourmous. Dodgy companies will claim the furlough and coerce people to work.

The flip side is I would let the younger lot out, however protect the young with known underlying conditions as above. That won’t be perfect, and people will die - but I think it’s the best solution.

Of course, the elderly won’t like a scenario that restricts their mobility, even though it protects their life and gets the economy back up and running to some degree. But it’s true only solution in my opinion in 2021 to manage both statistics - health and the economy.
It was reported today that there have been 26000 extra deaths from non covid causes in the last year, because people are not being seen, or afraid to get treatment because of Covid.

Andy Burnham bleating on atm like a scouser in victim mode.

Serves Manchester right looking at the number of cases of partying etc in their region. They were warned enough times.
Seems a bit OTT up there, definitely looks to me like some political point scoring at play. But we all know what will happen when London has the most cases in the country, suddenly we will see a change of strategy either with more funding & watered down restrictions or they’ll bring tighter measures and apply it across the whole country

Jonathan Van-Tam again showing he is an independent voice, not a patsy to the Government. When asked if it would have been better if the Gov had followed advice 10 days ago with reference to stronger restrictions, he read out figures from 3 'random' areas, all of whom, it seems have increased dramatically over a 7 day (he didn't have 10 day) figures.

Very clear message.

Yes, they should have listened.

And if the tier 3 restrictions are enough. He said they are the bare minimum and local areas need to do more on top.

Jonathan Van-Tam again showing he is an independent voice, not a patsy to the Government. When asked if it would have been better if the Gov had followed advice 10 days ago with reference to stronger restrictions, he read out figures from 3 'random' areas, all of whom, it seems have increased dramatically over a 7 day (he didn't have 10 day) figures.

Very clear message.

Yes, they should have listened.

And if the tier 3 restrictions are enough. He said they are the bare minimum and local areas need to do more on top.
Considering the area I live in shouldn't have been in lockdown the first time round due to the low number of cases, I resent the implication that we should have one now in this area now. The WHO are clear blanket lockdowns are not the way to deal with this, the politicians need to stop thinking it is the way ahead.