Coronavirus vaccine | Page 34 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

Am I the only one to find Gills58's stance to be really confusing?

On one hand everything the government under Boris does is incompetent and probably wrong and on the other hand he critisises people for not obeying the instructions handed out by Boris and the government.

Why except those two? They are still transmission sites, if they really want to stop coronavirus deaths they should close everything

Every place where people have close contact is a transmission site, its about having as few transmission sites as possible open, but they are two places that can be classed as essential, unlike homebase, builders merchants, MCDonalds, Home bargains, Ryman. Strange how a lot of the places that wern't deemed essential in the March lockdown now are of if a sudden have become essential.

Last edited:
Every place where people have close contact is a transmission site, its about having as few transmission sites as possible open, but they are two places that can be classed as essential, unlike homebase, builders merchants, MCDonalds, Home bargains, Ryman. Strange how a lot of the places that wern't deemed essential in the March lockdown now are of if a sudden have become essential.

Builders merchants are essential if you are a builder.

I don't really disagree with you tbh, I'm just not a fan of the "everything should close (unless I personally use it)" attitude.

You are a delivery driver (along with Supermarket staff the unsung heroes of coronavirus imo), but surely by definition you are in a high contact job?

Builders merchants are essential if you are a builder.

I don't really disagree with you tbh, I'm just not a fan of the "everything should close (unless I personally use it)" attitude.

You are a delivery driver (along with Supermarket staff the unsung heroes of coronavirus imo), but surely by definition you are in a high contact job?

Builders Merchants were not open during the first lockdown. As I said there needs to be proper financial support put in place for the self employed, which a lot of builders are.

I am a delivery driver working in the food industry, and if they were to implement my ideas I would almost certainly be put on full furlough (we've already gone onto flexible furlough on four day weeks) so it isn't in my personnel interest to do it, but if people can't or won't follow the rules they need to be told what to do in the current circumstances.

Up until this lockdown I've worked right through since March but more recently we've seen an increase in cases within our staff if confirmed cases, despite stringent rules on our site.

Really? Wake up, do you really think over 80,000 dead is Bojos fault?. I despair, take some responsibility for yourself.

So smoking deaths are government fault for not banning ciggies?

Alcoholics dying is governments fault for not banning alcohol.

RTA deaths are government fault for not banning cars.

Fuck me, what happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions!

I give a toss about every life lost, but not for the pathetic idiotic reason you have put.

You have a strange way of thinking.

I didn't mention either alcoholics, smokers or cars.

Bojo has clearly and very obviously put the economy before people's lives. He clearly did not take this disease seriously from day 1, shaking hands with early covid patients sent a signal to everyone that this was not serious and was nothing more than bad flu.
His messaging has been neither clear nor consistent. What messaging there has been has been undermined by people like Dominic Cummings and others.
Has he followed the science? Reluctantly and way too late.
So yes because hes been totally incompetent he bares considerable responsibility.
I won't be an apologist for an inadequate.

Am I the only one to find Gills58's stance to be really confusing?

On one hand everything the government under Boris does is incompetent and probably wrong and on the other hand he critisises people for not obeying the instructions handed out by Boris and the government.
Totally logical as you must well know. People should obey the instructions and as I've frequently said, the limitations should be tougher than those set.

We can have an incompetent government AND have the situation made even worse by some people not obeying the limited restrictions that are put in place.

You disappoint me Baghdad. I thought you were easily intelligent enough to work that out.

As I noted yesterday, the roll out of the vaccine swems to be going well so fat (thanks to the NHS and army) and not Tory friends.

Agree Nobby. Nothing is going to change though until the government toughen the rules. The public have proved that the rules only apply to everyone else but them. Yesterday it took me nearly an hour to drive from Camberwell to New Cross whilst delivering because if traffic.

IMO it's a simple choice, they either need to get tough and say all retail shuts except super markets and pharmacists, so no drive through McDonalds/KFC, no home base B & Q, no range, no Ryman the stationer and any exercise must be taken within walking distance of home. If we're serious about beating this that's what it's going to take but the government need to make sure the financial support I'd their for all again. This wave is worse than the one in March yet the restrictions aren't as tough.

Compared to March far more people seem to now know someone who has been seriously ill or died as a result if Covid. If we don't toughen things drastically it's going to continue to spiral out of control.
Agree. Far too many places allowed to be open imo.

Archie, I think a lot of people realise that getting on top of this awful issue was always going to be difficult and complicated. I don`t see too much evidence of anyone getting it spot on anywhere. Competing priorities have not made it easy for decision makes to make great decisions, wherever they are and whatever their politics.

Ultimately, individual responsibility, or the lack of it, has been our biggest downfall. I`m not a Boris fan, but I doubt many others would have made a much better job. To suggest that he has killed thousands of people is way OTT in my opinion.

I realise that NZ has managed to put up a good showing but, given its isolated situation lends itself to better control, I would not want to make a direct comparison. I would say though, it seems, individuals in NZ appear in, general, to have taken a more responsible approach than some other populations. Also, it may be the case that NZ`s population is less dense than in many other places.

But I maintain that being a smallish island helps. Even the Isle of Man, over this way, managed to stay Covid free for months enjoying a "normal life" whilst, less than 100 miles away in England, we were at full lockdown.

The UK could have closed its borders France did recently. The population density thing doesn't hold water when 25% of the population live in 1 city. Roughly 86% live in city's and towns ie high population per unit area.
It took Bojo way too long to take this seriously if he ever has and he has handled the outbreak poorly so while personal responsibility is a factor so was the whole eat out to help out campaign.
I am very worried for my elderly brothers and sisters still living in the uk

The UK could have closed its borders France did recently. The population density thing doesn't hold water when 25% of the population live in 1 city. Roughly 86% live in city's and towns ie high population per unit area.
It took Bojo way too long to take this seriously if he ever has and he has handled the outbreak poorly so while personal responsibility is a factor so was the whole eat out to help out campaign.

Don't worry Archie, what NZ gains from geographical isolation pandemically, it loses geopolitically.

Seriously, NZ has done very well, but it remains a country of good followers as well as good leaders. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of our people don't take kindly to being told what to do, and have been encouraged along this line. It is a great strength in many situations, but not this one.

Isn't it nice to have a foreigner coming on a UK football site and slag off the UK government.

This is what we have to contend with in the UK now. but I guess you reckon it's the governments fault.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/thieves-target-nhs-staff-cars-at-hospital-240617/

Not really bothered where APT lives, but to blame one person for all deaths in this country is idiotic, and anti-vaxxer/conspiracy theorist bollocks.

Regardless of where this disease started, it's global and we all need to do what is morally right, not just follow government guidelines/rules, but think for yourself and ensure you keep yourself as safe as possible. Doing so should keep others around you safe too.

I shielded for 6 months last year but have had to go back to work since September because my employer won't use furlough (I understand their reasoning and have accepted that). I worry and will admit have been on the verge of tears with fear about catching Covid as it could be the end of me, but my family, kids and home will suffer immensely if I am not working. If I catch Covid and die there is enough life insurance to keep them financially sound for years to come.

That is the trade-off I have to make at this awful time and if I was religious, would pray to god we and all others make it through with as minimal losses as possible.

Stay safe my Blues Rock Cafe friends, think of others not just yourself and let's hope for a safer future soonish.

WT complete and absolute F!!! Where did you get the anti vax crap from? I'm very pro vax actually.
Bojo is meant to be a leader where then is the leadership? Hes great at leaving illegitimate kids all over the place. He speaks a bit of dog Latin in a plummy voice but where exactly is the leadership?
Was it in shaking hands with covid patients? Was it in all the mixed messaging? Was it in the eat out to help out program? Was it on his support of Dominic Cummings while he tested his eyesight?
How has he tried to keep his people safe? Was it in the purchase of substandard personal protective clothing? Perhaps it was the sub standard track and trace system? Or was it the illogical previous lockdown rules?
If not Bojo the who?

Edit: if you catch C19 how many people will you spread it to and how many of those will end up in intensive care? Just asking for a friend since you seem to think I'm a conspiracy theorist too

Last edited:
Isn't it nice to have a foreigner coming on a UK football site and slag off the UK government.

This is what we have to contend with in the UK now. but I guess you reckon it's the governments fault.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/thieves-target-nhs-staff-cars-at-hospital-240617/

I've got a British passport (not a blue one), I'm a Brithish citizen and I could have voted in the last election if I'd wanted to (not now though been out of the country too long)
I've still got a lot of skin in the game with elderly brothers and sisters, nieces nephews cousins aunts and uncles still living in the uk.
I think I've stil got the right to pass comment

WT complete and absolute F!!! Where did you get the anti vax crap from? I'm very pro vax actually.
Bojo is meant to be a leader where then is the leadership? Hes great at leaving illegitimate kids all over the place. He speaks a bit of dog Latin in a plummy voice but where exactly is the leadership?
Was it in shaking hands with covid patients? Was it in all the mixed messaging? Was it in the eat out to help out program? Was it on his support of Dominic Cummings while he tested his eyesight?
How has he tried to keep his people safe? Was it in the purchase of substandard personal protective clothing? Perhaps it was the sub standard track and trace system? Or was it the illogical previous lockdown rules?
If not Bojo the who?

Missed two words out in original post, they were 'akin to', so should have read

but to blame one person for all deaths in this country is idiotic, and AKIN TO anti-vaxxer/conspiracy theorist bollocks.

Boris really gets your goat doesn't he? Still not his fault though that 80,000 have died.

Arden must be perfect through your rose tinted spectacles.

Missed two words out in original post, they were 'akin to', so should have read

but to blame one person for all deaths in this country is idiotic, and AKIN TO anti-vaxxer/conspiracy theorist bollocks.

Boris really gets your goat doesn't he? Still not his fault though that 80,000 have died.

Arden must be perfect through your rose tinted spectacles.

Not realy but you didn't answer any of the questions I posed either.
Perhaps you'd like to tell me what makes you think he's so great?

Last edited:
I've got a British passport (not a blue one), I'm a Brithish citizen and I could have voted in the last election if I'd wanted to (not now though been out of the country too long)
I've still got a lot of skin in the game with elderly brothers and sisters, nieces nephews cousins aunts and uncles still living in the uk.
I think I've stil got the right to pass comment
I get that you have a vested interest with relatives over here but until you get into the streets of towns and cities over here and witness first hand the absolute fuckwitery going on with non mask wearing, large gatherings and parties/raves, you cannot possibly claim to have any sort of finger on the pulse.
I congratulate NZ etc for their results, whatever the circumstances that helped them to achieve them but I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is nothing confusing about the rules that have been put in place, too many cannot be bothered to read them so choose to claim confusion. Sorry but that says more about those people than it does for the rules.
For the benefit of people like Bromley, I am not defending the government, far from it but this constant berating is getting a bit boring, just like Brexit. 58's phone has even updated its predictive text to add the words "albeit too late" every time he types a sentence containing the word "Boris" 😁😁

I get that you have a vested interest with relatives over here but until you get into the streets of towns and cities over here and witness first hand the absolute fuckwitery going on with non mask wearing, large gatherings and parties/raves, you cannot possibly claim to have any sort of finger on the pulse.
I congratulate NZ etc for their results, whatever the circumstances that helped them to achieve them but I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is nothing confusing about the rules that have been put in place, too many cannot be bothered to read them so choose to claim confusion. Sorry but that says more about those people than it does for the rules.
For the benefit of people like Bromley, I am not defending the government, far from it but this constant berating is getting a bit boring, just like Brexit. 58's phone has even updated its predictive text to add the words "albeit too late" every time he types a sentence containing the word "Boris" 😁😁
They had a typical example on the news today, supermarkets are clamping down on people without masks, this one woman stated she is old enough to decide for herself what precautions to take, if she is happy to take the risk of not wearing a mask that is her business, self, self, self.

They had a typical example on the news today, supermarkets are clamping down on people without masks, this one woman stated she is old enough to decide for herself what precautions to take, if she is happy to take the risk of not wearing a mask that is her business, self, self, self.
Mate, I am seriously losing the will to live over this stuff. I was pleased to hear the authorities at last start to acknowledge that we're not all "doing a great job " but that there are a lot of stupid and selfish people out there. Even Cressida Dick has said that the rules have been around long enough for everyone to know what they are. Its time to get tough but I fear our entitled community will only push back harder.
Archie quite rightly points out the success that NZ and Oz have had and I wouldn't mind betting that a good deal of their success is down to their views on law and order. I have a number of good friends in the Australian Police and they have all said that people resist the police a lot less than over here and that their job is a lot easier because of it.

Mate, I am seriously losing the will to live over this stuff. I was pleased to hear the authorities at last start to acknowledge that we're not all "doing a great job " but that there are a lot of stupid and selfish people out there. Even Cressida Dick has said that the rules have been around long enough for everyone to know what they are. Its time to get tough but I fear our entitled community will only push back harder.
Archie quite rightly points out the success that NZ and Oz have had and I wouldn't mind betting that a good deal of their success is down to their views on law and order. I have a number of good friends in the Australian Police and they have all said that people resist the police a lot less than over here and that their job is a lot easier because of it.

Yes and no. Australia has had a few problems with Muppets who think its all about their freedom to be complete twats and bugger everyone else. However I believe (and really OSK would be best placed to confirm or deny this) that the authorities ie police are quite prepared to slap some serious fines on people who transgress. In Aotearoa because of the way we dealt with it initially we've had fewer problems. With the take home message of were all in this together and our team of 5 million society as a whole viewed covid elimination as a team effort.
Covid did 're emerge from a managed isolation facility via a private security guard I think, largely into the Pacifica community via a church which flouted the rules on congregation size. Because they gave misleading information to the track and tracers it took longer to clear up the mess than might otherwise have happened and Auckland got locked down while the rest of us were un affected. We've also had the odd loony who thinks it's a wheeze to tie sheets together and escape quarantine for a night on the town. The escaping loonies ther have been a few, were very heavily fined and have to pay for their extended isolation. For the Church group I think the wrath of the country was enough to make them feel a bit sheepish. What was good was the patient with the first sign of infection got himself tested immediatly and self isolated without being asked.
So strong clear messaging so that everyone knows what's expected.Public buy in
Consistency, no one in government takes the piss (our health minister tried and he was publicly called out to apologise by the PM and subsequently sacked. No quick trips to test his eyes)
Authorities having the ability to heavily fine trangressors on the spot.
Testing, testing testing with followup track and trace
Actually following the science rather than paying lip service to it.
All much too late for the UK to follow this stratagem but could have been done early on.
This is similar to the stratagem used to combat ebola in Africa which I pointed out in much earlier posts in this thread so it's not hindsight.
What Bojo has done well is to get the army involved in vaccine dispersal and delivery. No one does logistics and distribution quite as well as the Army.

Last edited: