Coronavirus vaccine | Page 32 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

Genuine question. How is "Operation Moonshot" getting on?

Aim was to have 10 million tests per day by early 2021.
Like most of Johnson’s policies, it was dumped due to being unrealistic and ridiculously expensive.
Personally, I think that we are doing ok so far and well ahead of the rest with a few exceptions.
I was chatting with my mate in Malta last night and he was saying their role out is a joke.
Given the tiny population and geography it should be relatively easy .

Genuine question. How is "Operation Moonshot" getting on?

Aim was to have 10 million tests per day by early 2021.

Moonshot was binned. However statistics are not always what you might expect with this epidemic when 'official' figures are declared.
EG...
Is a pair of gloves is counted as 1 or 2 items of PPE? Is a nasal swab and a mouth swab from the same person, same day counted as 1 or 2 tests? Is a person recieving their 2nd jab, to complete their vaccination, counted as 1 or 2 vaccinations in the official figures?

Clue. None of the answers is 1.

Edit. Matt Hancock has just corrected earlier figures regarding vaccinations. He said 2.6 million doses have been given to 2.3 million people. So, that is (hopefully) clearer than what it has been to date.

Last edited:
Moonshot was binned. However statistics are not always what you might expect with this epidemic when 'official' figures are declared.
EG...
Is a pair of gloves is counted as 1 or 2 items of PPE? Is a nasal swab and a mouth swab from the same person, same day counted as 1 or 2 tests? Is a person recieving their 2nd jab, to complete their vaccination, counted as 1 or 2 vaccinations in the official figures?

Clue. None of the answers is 1.

The last one is. 2.3M people have received 2.6M doses. 375K have had two doses.

Our official figures are somewhat different from other nations official figures.
An example being our death rate being anyone who passed away within 28 days of a positive covid test.
Ireland shows only those who died directly from covid as does Malta.

Dying with covid and dying from covid !

Btw, little Malta have still not announced a single vaccine completed while the U.K. has vaccinated 5 times their total population.
My friend out there is seriously pissed off.

Our official figures are somewhat different from other nations official figures.
An example being our death rate being anyone who passed away within 28 days of a positive covid test.

Btw, little Malta have still not announced a single vaccine completed while the U.K. has vaccinated 5 times their total population.

The UK have vaccinated more people than the whole of Europe put together. We've got something right at last!

Mercifully the Givernment might not f### something up at last. An encouraging start.

What pleases me most is that the roll out seems to be in the hands of the NHS and the army. Fortunately they haven't given contracts to their mates but put it in the hands of two organisations that know what they are doing.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they get near the mid-Feb target.

One note of caution. They say X number will "be offered" by mid Feb. This may be many more than are actually done but Hancock will claim success as he did with his phoney "tests/test capacity capers last spring. Large numbers may not be able to travel the many miles to these centres. My 87 year old step mother is housebound and has heard nothing (apart from a dodgy hoax phone call no doubt from some scum hoping she'd let them in and get burgled). In fairness, they do seem to have recognised this difficult problem and may address it.

Careful with the triumphalism re roll out numbers as we had a head start. Overall, so far so good.

Sorry to disappoint you Nitram.

Note for Johnson. Pleeeease don't end lockdown too early yet again. The economy will tank even more of we keep doing this.

B

Bloody EU. Time was, a couple of well-placed Maltese pounds would move things along.

"Careful with the triumphalism re roll out numbers as we had a head start. Overall, so far so good."

But we only had a head start as our authorities worked night and day to get it passed where others fiddled whilst Rome burned, so to speak, surely we are allowed triumphalism about that?

Re your step mum, I would think her GP or other local cantre will be doing the jab (as opposed to one of the mass vaccination centres) which may explain the hold up as they can't get through the numbers. I'm sure GPs are specifically earmarking those unable to travel for jabs at their local surgery (at least thats what my mum was told at hers). Fingers crossed, it won't be long now mate.

B

Bloody EU. Time was, a couple of well-placed Maltese pounds would move things along.
Don’t think they have ever used the pound Jokerman.
Lira (pronounced lireee,) then the Euro .
I had a gaff out there for about ten years and loved it for a while but it ultimately got too homogenised.
I’m still in close contact with friends out there.
I have a good mate who hasn’t opened his hotel since the first lockdown due to lack of punters.

"Careful with the triumphalism re roll out numbers as we had a head start. Overall, so far so good."

But we only had a head start as our authorities worked night and day to get it passed where others fiddled whilst Rome burned, so to speak, surely we are allowed triumphalism about that?

Re your step mum, I would think her GP or other local cantre will be doing the jab (as opposed to one of the mass vaccination centres) which may explain the hold up as they can't get through the numbers. I'm sure GPs are specifically earmarking those unable to travel for jabs at their local surgery (at least thats what my mum was told at hers). Fingers crossed, it won't be long now mate.
I did hear that as we rushed it through (not criticising that) we have to verify every batch as fit to use and that may hold up supply to vaccine centres. Apparently the EU countries don't have to check each batch after their original slower approval, so may not face hold ups.

I'm certainly not criticising our approach but just cautioning against triumphalism (especially from someone like Johnson).

Mercifully the Givernment might not f### something up at last. An encouraging start.

What pleases me most is that the roll out seems to be in the hands of the NHS and the army. Fortunately they haven't given contracts to their mates but put it in the hands of two organisations that know what they are doing.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they get near the mid-Feb target.

One note of caution. They say X number will "be offered" by mid Feb. This may be many more than are actually done but Hancock will claim success as he did with his phoney "tests/test capacity capers last spring. Large numbers may not be able to travel the many miles to these centres. My 87 year old step mother is housebound and has heard nothing (apart from a dodgy hoax phone call no doubt from some scum hoping she'd let them in and get burgled). In fairness, they do seem to have recognised this difficult problem and may address it.

Careful with the triumphalism re roll out numbers as we had a head start. Overall, so far so good.

Sorry to disappoint you Nitram.

Note for Johnson. Pleeeease don't end lockdown too early yet again. The economy will tank even more of we keep doing this.
maybe not awarded contracts to roll out vaccines to their mates . however key figures in the government have eye watering financial interests in Pfizer, Astra Zeneca and Moderna So a conflict of interest is there

I hope all countries are getting their act together, welcome our speed out of the blocks but want to hear rather less of the world beating and better than you stuff. So far our figures look good and are rising and I for one will not be booing loudly if we don't meet the early boasts as long as numbers keep rising nicely. The US has vaccinated an impressive number. Who do we think the first country will be to claim 100% vaccination? I'm going North Korea.

Don’t think they have ever used the pound Jokerman.
Lira (pronounced lireee,) then the Euro .
I had a gaff out there for about ten years and loved it for a while but it ultimately got too homogenised.
I’m still in close contact with friends out there.
I have a good mate who hasn’t opened his hotel since the first lockdown due to lack of punters.

They were pounds under us, and I recall locals both calling them pounds and using the pound symbol although the banknotes said lira. They also had the exchange value of real pounds -fourish to the USD- artificially maintained of course, and therefore hard to actually exchange.

I had professional connections and projects which lasted over three summers. Worked through the day then off with the family to St Peter's Pool or Għajn Tuffieħa to swim in the evening. Very happy times.

I hope all countries are getting their act together, welcome our speed out of the blocks but want to hear rather less of the world beating and better than you stuff. So far our figures look good and are rising and I for one will not be booing loudly if we don't meet the early boasts as long as numbers keep rising nicely. The US has vaccinated an impressive number. Who do we think the first country will be to claim 100% vaccination? I'm going North Korea.
I’ll plump for Israel 👍

I did hear that as we rushed it through (not criticising that) we have to verify every batch as fit to use and that may hold up supply to vaccine centres. Apparently the EU countries don't have to check each batch after their original slower approval, so may not face hold ups.

I'm certainly not criticising our approach but just cautioning against triumphalism (especially from someone like Johnson).

from memory every batch of vaccine has to have a qa sample taken as standard practice before the vaccine leaves the factory.
the sampling of the batch qa test however takes place when the vaccine is in transit.
this is because of the storage transport requirement being different from standard drug transport.

Nitram, is my memory correct there. Cartainly was from GsK Wavre.

from memory every batch of vaccine has to have a qa sample taken as standard practice before the vaccine leaves the factory.
the sampling of the batch qa test however takes place when the vaccine is in transit.
this is because of the storage transport requirement being different from standard drug transport.

Nitram, is my memory correct there. Cartainly was from GsK Wavre.
Vaccines would be tested on completion of manufacture, the vials would be QA tested prior to filling, they would also do a QA test o the vaccine after the vaccine was put into dosage vials.
The problem with the current vaccine is it is being filled into vials at a different site to manufacturing, so would need testing on completion of manufacture, again after transport and again after filling.