Clifton Bridge | Page 2 | Vital Football

Clifton Bridge

But they were environmentally friendly when good old Gordon decided they were best. Maybe they are still relatively more environmentally friendly than we think .............

A new generation of ‘plug-in’ hybrid cars emit up to three times more greenhouse gases in ‘real world’ driving than official figures suggest.

A series of studies found the fuel consumption in the plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) was far greater on the road than claimed.

PHEVs are powered by a combination of battery-powered electric motor and a traditional combustion engine. But they only have a short range in electric mode - typically of between 15 and 25 miles - amid warnings motorists are neglecting to charge them and instead choosing to run them on petrol only.

In a shock announcement on Tuesday, ministers said sales of new hybrid cars would be banned from 2035 onwards. But experts said last night PHEVs could actually be emitting more CO2 than equivalent petrol-only cars, which are more fuel efficient because they are not as heavy as hybrids which have to carry extra weight of a battery and motor.

One of the companies that we used to use at the power station swapped their diesel fleet of a well known brand of SUV’s for the hybrid version and did indeed find that the mpg was significantly less.

Not great for the environment but pretty good for the clubcard points, particularly when the fuel was on expenses.

Link to study please.

I have a report which lists the down side of hybrids, particularly the failure to charge correctly, and the increased costs relating to the failures.

The running costs of a popular German model is quoted; whole life running costs of around £50 per month increase to around £200 per month if not charged correctly - and a charge lasts for around 28 miles

Average fuel economy of 70mpg (Official) drops to 40 miles per gallon.

Emissions of 40-50g/km CO2 (depending on wheel size) rise to 190g/km CO2

And the reward for misusing your Hybrid, a 2% reduction in BIK.

I would love to forward the report on to you but cant; there is no way of separating out some other stuff which has the potential to get me reintegrated into a job seeking environment

Last edited:
We walk to and from school. The last journey we took together was a hundred miles. It isn't them walking or driving that's the main issue, environmentally. It's that they might eat (I mean literally every day, often more than once!) , wear clothes, use electricity, travel to their places of work and, worst of all, procreate themselves. It's a massive time of the dice!

There's the megabus, I suppose. Could also have got a train (the shiny new Azuma up the east cost mainline, Feco!) but needed to transport a lot of stuff. Also, as the OP states Very Clearly, I needed to take my old man to hospital.
:shrug::car:

Not too keen on the Azuma, very efficient but no character.
This old girl is much better .......there goes my green credentials!!
Hope your dad is okay,
6C18B522-E2B5-409F-ADBE-9F51451E6927.jpeg

Not too keen on the Azuma, very efficient but no character.
This old girl is much better .......there goes my green credentials!!
Hope your dad is okay,
View attachment 37709
It's a beaut.
Cousin / brother of Mallard, Sir Nigel Gresley, Dominion of Canada, err... the South Africa one.. ummm... got the feeling there's another bird one..

100mph. Eat my dust, slowcoaches.

I have a report which lists the down side of hybrids, particularly the failure to charge correctly, and the increased costs relating to the failures.

The running costs of a popular German model is quoted; whole life running costs of around £50 per month increase to around £200 per month if not charged correctly - and a charge lasts for around 28 miles

Average fuel economy of 70mpg (Official) drops to 40 miles per gallon.

Emissions of 40-50g/km CO2 (depending on wheel size) rise to 190g/km CO2

And the reward for misusing your Hybrid, a 2% reduction in BIK.

I would love to forward the report on to you but cant; there is no way of separating out some other stuff which has the potential to get me reintegrated into a job seeking environment

My dad just plumped for the Zoe, 70 minute charge time for 200+ miles.

My dad just plumped for the Zoe, 70 minute charge time for 200+ miles.

I hope he is leasing and not buying; although there is very little to go wrong on the Electric vehicles, when something does go wrong, the battery for instance, you are looking at a five figure replacement cost.

The prius is a bit of an engineering marvel. The tech was so new when released but the batteries can do 300k miles. It's pretty amazing IMO.

The A4’s are rapid....

This one is actually a P2, got an extra set of driving wheels to the A4.
None survived into preservation.
A group from Doncaster have spent the last 20 years researching, reproducing and updating to modem standards the original drawings to manufacture a new one.

Like the original it will be called Cock O’ The North.

I help out a bit, but I’m really not at that level of engineering excellence.
Sadly they are all getting old, and progress is slow, they are only £5m short of the £5m needed!!
I’m not sure many of us will get to see her run, and we probably won’t be have any coal then anyway....