Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 41 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

The game for me had 3 distinct phases
1 Chelsea came flying out the traps , 3 corners hit the bar in the opening 10 and then get the goal on 14 mins.
2. Villa then took more control pressed really well and created 3 or 4 good efforts on goal we were the better team between the opening goal and HT
3. Stupid error and goal after the restart kills the contest and means the game plays out now with the result never in doubt.
Very poor from Mings at such a key stage

For balance they had one more in the next 80 minutes and we had 11 so clearly that makes us much the better side.

It's amazing to me how much Konsa is under the radar, he is better than Mings at everything other than shouting and pointing.

Mings' left-footed-ness is a massive advantage for him I suppose but comparing Mings to Konsa is like comparing an Alpha Romeo to a Rolls Royce.

How Ben White got into the Euros squad and Konsa hasn't even been called up is beyond my understanding. Coady as well.

I thought McGinn had his best game for ages yesterday. Not sure his passing was too bad yesterday either.

I did like the combination of him Douglas and Ramsey.
Watch a replay mate, all SJM great work was undone by sloppy passing, he looked fantastic but the passing was just to hard or just too soft which undoes his great work which yes is the bit people see. He wasn't alone most of our final killer balls were just lax.
One from Ings to Watkins first half was a classic example

To think Chelsea were without Reece-James , Christianson Kante and Mount as well as Pulisic. I know they'd got great squad depth but quite frankly we didn't do anywhere near enough overall. They have strolled in 2nd gear to a comfortable win.
Villa need to wake the fuck up or we will get sucked into a dogfight for sure . Everton starting to look massive

Yes the combination of Luiz , Super John and Ramsey was very good .
Glad to see Ramsey silencing the doubters. He was excellent again, think I read he had 100% pass accuracy and 100% dribble success. He was constantly picking up pockets of space in midfield and driving forward. Still a learning curve for him but if he carries on like this all the comments that he should be in the championship on loan will look very silly

It's amazing to me how much Konsa is under the radar, he is better than Mings at everything other than shouting and pointing.

Mings' left-footed-ness is a massive advantage for him I suppose but comparing Mings to Konsa is like comparing an Alpha Romeo to a Rolls Royce.
Maybe not the time or thread but I said all summer we should spend big money on a centre half who can compete with Mings for game time. I like Mings but we need competition for places and I’m not sure Tuanzebe is quite of that calibre - he’s decent enough but not to the extent it will bridge the gap between 11th and a European finish

To think Chelsea were without Reece-James , Christianson Kante and Mount as well as Pulisic. I know they'd got great squad depth but quite frankly we didn't do anywhere near enough overall. They have strolled in 2nd gear to a comfortable win.
Villa need to wake the fuck up or we will get sucked into a dogfight for sure . Everton starting to look massive
It's worth taking a step back and realising we played the Champions of Europe and a team who will very likely win the league this season.

Of course they have a squad with enormous quality and depth. They were able to take of Saul Niguez who I don't rate, but nevertheless is a highly decorated player for Jorginho, one of the best in the world in his position at half time which helped change the game for them.

We can't compete with that right now. Chelsea have had nearly 20 years of very high spending (they were spending a lot prior to the Russian crook taking charge).

Maybe not the time or thread but I said all summer we should spend big money on a centre half who can compete with Mings for game time. I like Mings but we need competition for places and I’m not sure Tuanzebe is quite of that calibre - he’s decent enough but not to the extent it will bridge the gap between 11th and a European finish
Spot on David

I'm sceptical of Tuanzebe to be honest, hardly a bad player but the last time we really saw him was at the Championship level, a level where Mings looked like Van Dijk.

Tuanzebe has not played a lot since and I'm seeing a player who has the same weaknesses in the air and in terms of his decision making that I saw in the Championship, the difference being it will cost you more at this level.

I personally do not think he's any better than Hause.

Last edited:
It's worth taking a step back and realising we played the Champions of Europe and a team who will very likely win the league this season.

Of course they have a squad with enormous quality and depth. They were able to take of Saul Niguez who I don't rate, but nevertheless is a highly decorated player for Jorginho, one of the best in the world in his position at half time which helped change the game for them.

We can't compete with that right now. Chelsea have had nearly 20 years of very high spending (they were spending a lot prior to the Russian crook taking charge).
I'd overlooked Jorginho being rested too. I think we have to be disappointed with that yesterday despite an encouraging half hour.

I'm sceptical of Tuanzebe to be honest, hardly a bad player but the last time we really saw him was at the Championship level, a level Mings where looked like Van Dijk.

Tuanzebe has not played a lot since and I'm seeing a player who has the same weaknesses in the air and in terms of his decision making that I saw in the Championship, the difference being it will cost you more at this level.

I personally do not think he's any better than Hause.
I think Hause has had a bum deal this season, I saw he was first into Bodymoor after the summer break working his nuts off in the gym.
He's the best of our 4 in the air and he's no worse with his feet than mings

I think he's the best player at the club at the moment. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing but he has to be the most improved player in the league over the last 2 seasons. Of course he won't get any attention or credit from washed up Man Utd and Liverpool pundits who probably don't even know he exists.

I think he's the best player at the club at the moment. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing but he has to be the most improved player in the league over the last 2 seasons. Of course he won't get any attention or credit from washed up Man Utd and Liverpool pundits who probably don't even know he exists.
The cynic would say he would only get the plaudits if he joined a sky6 club and "improve" massively overnight

I think Hause has had a bum deal this season, I saw he was first into Bodymoor after the summer break working his nuts off in the gym.
He's the best of our 4 in the air and he's no worse with his feet than mings

He's miles worse with the ball than Mings. After he came on vs Brentford there was a moment where he was running with the ball and he never at any point looked like he had it under control. I'm a fan of him and he's excellent back up but if he was better than Mings he'd be either starting for us or another Premier league side would trying to sign him so they could start him.

He's miles worse with the ball than Mings. After he came on vs Brentford there was a moment where he was running with the ball and he never at any point looked like he had it under control. I'm a fan of him and he's excellent back up but if he was better than Mings he'd be either starting for us or another Premier league side would trying to sign him so they could start him.
If Konsa was better than Mings he'd be in the England squad? If Axel was a PL player Man Utd wouldn't keep signing CB's. I don't think Hause makes as many glaring mistakes as Mings and he's far better in the air

Glad to see Ramsey silencing the doubters. He was excellent again, think I read he had 100% pass accuracy and 100% dribble success. He was constantly picking up pockets of space in midfield and driving forward. Still a learning curve for him but if he carries on like this all the comments that he should be in the championship on loan will look very silly

Getting well ahead of yourself there in my humble. Silence the doubters?. C'mon that's stupid.
The doubters aren't doubters at all just people who won't give into the usual play the kids hype about the next off our production line and wait to see what he is like on the pitch before judging. He has a long long way to go to 'silence' anyone.

If you actually read people's posts they (including me ) were full of praise after Newcastle and talking bench mark performance which he improved upon yesterday infact.
Excellent.
But before these two performances he has been no more than low end solid.

Honestly this place at times. Unless you go happy clapping about kids and new signings and you wait until you see them on the pitch and look for a string of consistent performances you are negative or a doubter. Jeez.