Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 43 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

Danny had an off day, period.

Yet again missing my point Ollie was having an off day as well but he can do no wrong in some peoples eyes because he is a trier.
Other managers recognise when their star striker has missed 4 or 5 chances it might not be his day either.
I was saying is that Dean never subs Ollie or McGinn regardless, I'm not talking specifically (pacific for Brummies) about yesterday

Getting harder to defend him, which I have done over the last 2 seasons.

To do that again yesterday is so so poor. You are fcuking international Tyrone you shouldn't be doing that anymore.
He seems to have around 5 rickets like that in him a season but they don't always cost us a goal. It's kind of David James-esque.

Yet again missing my point Ollie was having an off day as well but he can do no wrong in some peoples eyes because he is a trier.
Other managers recognise when their star striker has missed 4 or 5 chances it might not be his day either.
I was saying is that Dean never subs Ollie or McGinn regardless, I'm not talking specifically (pacific for Brummies) about yesterday
If Ings had the chance Watkins did in the first half I'm pretty sure the net would have been bulging. It's vital we get good service into Ings or he will prove to be a waste of money.

Getting harder to defend him, which I have done over the last 2 seasons.

To do that again yesterday is so so poor. You are fcuking international Tyrone you shouldn't be doing that anymore.
He's a good, athletic last-ditch defender but is never in command with the ball at his feet. Even a simple pass looks unnatural as he has a kind of scissor action and looks off balance. He looks like a goalkeeper or rugby player-turned footballer

If Ings had the chance Watkins did in the first half I'm pretty sure the net would have been bulging. It's vital we get good service into Ings or he will prove to be a waste of money.

Ollie is what he is . I like him. Good lad and must be good around the place. But at 25 I think what we have now is what we will get . No more no less. Not a bad thing but depends where we want to go.

I like Watkins and his workrate but good lord he's not a number 9 or a clinical finisher. Time will tell but I'm not sure an attack shaped like yesterday will work, needs more width

I hope we won’t be seeing Atkins in charge of any more of our games. I can’t remember a 50/50 going our way. He looked like the ref in Escape to Victory.

It was without doubt the most biased performance by a referee that I've ever seen.

I'm even thinking it wasn't about incompetence either.
The performance was too bad to be incompetent. It was corrupt. Whether it was a matter of spot fixing or a pre-match payoff is open to debate.

I know it's a bit tinfoil hat but these types of refereeing displays happen far too often.

No we haven't been , now Watkins is back we did. It's the minimum expectation though to work hard and press.

Ollie granted, it's his game, McGinn when he's had his meatballs, but we've never pressed like that as a team for me. The effort has been there, but not that level of organisation in a total team press.

We even saw it from Bertie which surprised me.

OK, we lost 3-0. Did they deserve to win? Undoubtedly. Their first goal was out-of-this-world sheer class from Lukaku. That's why they bought him. Apart from that I was shocked at how easy it was to cut through their defence in the first half. We played well, surprisingly well given it was an unfamiliar system. We could have capitalised on it but didn't. Good though we were, Ollie was a bit rusty (understandably), Ings was strangely anonymous, and there was nobody else around who looked like scoring from open play.

Second half Mings's mistake cost us. If you make those mistakes you don't deserve to win. The third goal didn't matter; we left ourselves open while trying to get something out of the match.

All in all, some good signs from us but also stuff we need to work out. We have good players and better squad depth, so the basis is there. So where do we go from here?

First thing, Dean has to ask himself if 3-5-2 is the way to go. I have big doubts. We have wingers who can also score, but in the first half none were on the pitch. Cash and Targett had good games but they don't score goals, which left us with the 2 forwards. Not enough and it doesn't reflect the strengths in attack we have.

Second thing, Dean has some thinking to do about who he wants to play. One of the problems of squad depth! We had more talent on the bench than we've had for a long time, and we still have emi2 to come back.

So, not a happy loser but there was enough for us in the match to give some confidence going forwards. But there are also questions about where we go from here, which may take a bit of time sorting out.

Nicked.

Didn’t affect the result directly but Atwell’s performance yesterday was bloody awful. Mind you, when he awarded a goal rather than a corner in the championship game all those years ago after being ‘fast tracked’ for presumably being so good.…( what does that say about the assessors?! ) the writing was surely already on the wall! Should be absolutely nowhere near the Premiership or arguably the football league for that matter. Shocking referee.

Ollie granted, it's his game, McGinn when he's had his meatballs, but we've never pressed like that as a team for me. The effort has been there, but not that level of organisation in a total team press.

We even saw it from Bertie which surprised me.
Hopefully they've set the benchmark now, we didn't see much of that v Brentford for example

For at least a season or so we have this uncanny knack of faffing about with the ball in dangerous areas. Especially dangerous against top sides. Stop it FFS! However, despite the score I thought we looked pretty good at times. Hopefully it's just players getting to know each other and the system. Not gonna panic just yet.

Playing well yet getting walloped by a team playing indifferent isn't a great sign.

I prefer to think of it being another example of a good team not playing very well and yet still winning. I have an account with "The Sunday Times" and the BTL comments on the match report from Chelsea supporters mostly say that the scoreline flattered them. One even said he expected Villa to be challenging for the top six this season.....

I prefer to think of it being another example of a good team not playing very well and yet still winning. I have an account with "The Sunday Times" and the BTL comments on the match report from Chelsea supporters mostly say that the scoreline flattered them. One even said he expected Villa to be challenging for the top six this season.....

Obviously this Chelsea fan doesn't know about the cracks.

Yeah well they don't watch us every week, if he'd seen the opening 3 games I doubt he'd hold that opinion