Chelsea 2 Manchester City 0 - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 0 - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Johnny On The Spot: #BORN OF FRUSTRATION. Manchester City’s unbeaten domestic run has come undone at Chelsea. An attritional phase of the season is upon us. Despite absolutely dominating this contest for 44 minutes, City uncharacteristically beat themselves in a first half wherein they did not hurt a well martialled Chelsea where it mattered. Maurizio Sarri’s men benefitted throughout this game from a solid central defence who provided outstanding cover to their goalkeeper who in truth was not tested. With a high tempo work rate built upon that platform, once ahead, the cockney aristocrats were galvanised into taking the game to the champions who shorn of David Silva’s influence due to injury and eventual withdrawal could not attack with cohesion. Consequently, right across City’s forward line our main men just could not make superiority tell in the final third with the radar right off. The second half saw some poor first touches and we looked rattled. Chelsea thoroughly deserved their win overall. Admittedly this constitutes a night to forget but the point of order is that this is astonishingly only our 3rd league defeat in 61 games and Pep Guardiola will remind us that we have a defeat out of the road that should redefine our hunger. Furthermore, an intensive run of fixtures gives us no opportunity to dwell upon it. That said, the squad must now dig deeper as a lengthy injury list persists. Liverpool’s continuing momentum means there is no further margin for error until they come to town. JB's Man Of The Match: Fernandinho. Irreplaceable.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/off-key-champions-go-down-to-rugged-chelsea/

Last edited:
David Luiz speaking to BT Sport: "It was a great game. I think we are playing against the best team in Europe at the moment. They have great players and are playing very well.
"We had to suffer but then we took our chance to score. It went well, our plan. We have had some bad results but tried to improve.
"All the team did great. We keep fighting but keep our feet on the ground."

Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante speaking to BT Sport: "They are a very good team. We suffered together then afterwards we didn't give up and got the two goals. We are happy with the win.
"The most important thing is to give my best on the pitch. I am happy to be on the scoresheet."

Pep Guardiola speaking to Match of the Day:
"Off day? We lost if you think that, you didn’t see the game. Chelsea are a good team, good players but in the first half it was incredible, we were exceptional.
"In general we were fantastic, I don’t have any regrets, we came and showed we wanted to win. We created chances. They had one in 44 minutes and we conceded a goal, sometimes that happens.
"You are better, you create, they cannot play like they want, they are used to having 75% possession and they could not do that, but after that at this level and in the Champions League the quality of the opponents means they only need a half a chance to score. That was the reality.
"Always we take lessons after wins or whether we lose a game."

John Stones speaking to Match of the Day: "It was a typical game between two top teams. It is not easy conceding late in the first half. We were so dominant but they got one chance and scored it.
"It is frustrating but that is the reality of playing these top teams in the Premier League. We did everything right up until the last minute.
"To come here and play how we did, despite the scoreline, is never easy. We were top of the league coming into the game and everyone wants that spot. Now we have something to look back on and we will take everything out of it.
"It is never easy to digest it after the game but it is the harsh reality of the league. To be where we are - we should be proud. We should take positives into the next game. The best way to get over this is by winning the next game.

Maurizio Sarri speaking to BT Sport: "I am very happy with the win because it is not very easy to win against Manchester City or Pep Guardiola. I am happy with the mentality of the team in this match.
"It is difficult for us to find motivation but when we are, we are a very strong team. Today we played with a very good level of application, determination and the right level of aggressiveness.
"My players have to continue like this. We had some problems in the first 30 minutes because Eden Hazard played like a striker for the first time and in the defensive movement we weren't perfect.
"We started well in the second half and in the end we deserved to win. I think he [Hazard] had some problems only for the last 20 minutes. He played very well and deserved to score. I am really happy with his first match in this position.
"It is difficult to play in the defensive line when it is not working. It was working well today so it is easier for the centre-backs to play a good match.

Looked like a hamstring (R) so likely to miss a couple of weeks at least. Need him back for 3rd January.

Phil Foden - this could be your moment
Please don't let this be true. We are getting thin, and players aren't adhering to the next man up mantra.

Always we take lessons after wins or whether we lose a game."

Well said Pep. Take it in the chin, learn the lessons and move on.

Time to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and focus on finishing top of the CL qualifying group.

Always we take lessons after wins or whether we lose a game."

Well said Pep. Take it in the chin, learn the lessons and move on.

Time to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and focus on finishing top of the CL qualifying group.
That's all we can do. Learn from our mistakes, and give credit to the better squad on this day. Oh, and blame Buzzer for cursing us. :p

Well it had to come and when we won the title under Mancini, I think it was Chelsea that inflicted our first delete on that occasion and it turned out all right.

I am disappointed that some fans have had a go at David Silva, obviously cattying an injury, but he has given so much to the club, I am sorry these idiots do not see that you try to win every game but simply that is not going to happen.