Chat with the Chairman | Page 2 | Vital Football

Chat with the Chairman

We can't be the only club in this position.
The only one I know of.

Lincoln are away at Boston today.
I read that Boston have made the turnstiles narrower to make sure Steve Evans never gets back in.

Bristol Rovers are away at Plymouth.
1-0 to the Pilgrims at HT.
Rovers have had zero attempts on goal, nothing changes 😂

The only one I know of.

Lincoln are away at Boston today.
I read that Boston have made the turnstiles narrower to make sure Steve Evans never gets back in.

Bristol Rovers are away at Plymouth.
1-0 to the Pilgrims at HT.
Rovers have had zero attempts on goal, nothing changes 😂

Only pre-season, I know. But Lincoln lost that one 5-0! 😳

And apparently it wasn’t just a U18 side or anything that they put out. Someone on f/b listed about 6 or 7 of their first team that took part.

Imagine our fans if we’d had a result like that in pre-season…

OK then,

Do preseason results matter?

a question for the ages/aged

No individual match on its own matters much imho.
It’s all about, fitness, minutes into legs, gelling, trying a few partnerships, and along the way seeing some improvements.

As a fan, I like to see more positive results than negative and the strikers getting off the mark with some goals to build confidence.

Don’t think you want 5-0 losses tho, regardless who you are playing and what side you are putting out, unless it’s completely kids.

First away opponents Plymouth drew 1-1 with Brizzle Rovers, both penalties.
Rovers first attempt on goal in play was 88th minute.

OK then,

Do preseason results matter?

a question for the ages/aged

Results themselves are less important. And not just because you are usually playing sides from a different level and league from you who will probably be in a different place in the preseason plans. Add to the fact that both sides will probably make a large number of substitutions and the result is meaningless.

Depending on the number of fixtures then I'd say the first half of the preseason fixture list is simply about getting minutes into the legs. The second half of the fixtures is more about performance and as you get to the end, it is more important to see the players having understanding of the intended system, players gelling and partnerships forming etc.

I don’t mean to put a dampener on this as any communication like this is good, especially an off-the-cuff chat that can go down any avenue. My main issue is I don’t believe Scally is doing this out of a change of heart. He’s had 15 or so months without a fortnightly 2-page chairman’s column to keep us up-to-date on anything he wishes, and that’s obviously not his fault. Now things are looking up, there are season tickets to sell and exciting changes occurring.

The silence during the refund period was calculated as he simply had no wish to give anyone any money, and like hell would he communicate that. If he was put in the same position in the future (not necessarily with Covid given the season ticket agreements) then I still believe he’ll hide away again.

I'd be interested to know if this new feature will be here in 12 months time.

I believe it's designed to gain interest in season tickets.

I don’t mean to put a dampener on this as any communication like this is good, especially an off-the-cuff chat that can go down any avenue. My main issue is I don’t believe Scally is doing this out of a change of heart. He’s had 15 or so months without a fortnightly 2-page chairman’s column to keep us up-to-date on anything he wishes, and that’s obviously not his fault. Now things are looking up, there are season tickets to sell and exciting changes occurring.

The silence during the refund period was calculated as he simply had no wish to give anyone any money, and like hell would he communicate that. If he was put in the same position in the future (not necessarily with Covid given the season ticket agreements) then I still believe he’ll hide away again.

Trev, take your point about the timing, but I think this kind of PR - "Chat with the Chairman" has become increasingly popular with a number of other clubs - and it`s gone down well with their fan bases.

It might not be fresh innovation from PS, I suspect that he`s heard about this kind of successful messaging and opted in, as it makes good marketing sense. Time should give us the answer to your point about communication during "difficult" phases. If the "Chat" is still a regular feature in twelve months time you might well have your answer. In the meantime, like you, I think it`s a good form of communication and I think PS did a good job with Episode One.

My ONLY concern is if the questions start straying into team and playing issues.
He’ll do well to avoid comments about the team side of things.

Trev, take your point about the timing, but I think this kind of PR - "Chat with the Chairman" has become increasingly popular with a number of other clubs - and it`s gone down well with their fan bases.

It might not be fresh innovation from PS, I suspect that he`s heard about this kind of successful messaging and opted in, as it makes good marketing sense. Time should give us the answer to your point about communication during "difficult" phases. If the "Chat" is still a regular feature in twelve months time you might well have your answer. In the meantime, like you, I think it`s a good form of communication and I think PS did a good job with Episode One.
I get that, and can definitely see this as being around for the long-term. Otherwise in a month’s time he’ll have his programme notes so communication will inevitably go up, although in my opinion this informal chat is a better style.

I just feel if there’s ever a time in the future where it’s in the club’s best financial interests to go a certain direction, particularly if it’ll upset the supporters, then I believe he’ll take that decision and will cease communications again.

My ONLY concern is if the questions start straying into team and playing issues.
He’ll do well to avoid comments about the team side of things.
I think he’s sensible enough to know what to say, having had a chairman’s column in the programme for over 20 years. He doesn’t interfere or put pressure on managers and players with regards to comments on individual players or style of football.

Dare I wish for the self-serve taps to come into order as well as a greater choice of beers, particularly local cask ales and craft beers. The other month I was chatting to a brewer in his taproom (Constellation brewery in Tonbridge) who, after a short chat about away games we’ve been with our football clubs, raised the point that he’d love to have their beers on sale at the stadium.

I did find it strange that he spent quite a bit of time talking about the Factory improvements, but didn't once mention the bar or beers as, for me, the biggest problem at the factory (which for me and I daresay most of us) served the purpose of a pre-match pint or four, was the quality and selection of beers (which was poor) and the poor system in place for serving and queuing at the bar.

Good to hear from Scally and good that he makes some admissions that he could have done more and been better on the communication front. One notable ommission and absence from his interview was I believe he didn't once mention anything about a new stadium. Given that he spoke a lot about ground improvements, has this idea been scrapped/parked?

With Paul Scally taking media matters today I assume Steve/Paul are isolating, probably reason we haven’t signed anyone.