Champions this season | Page 2 | Vital Football

Champions this season

Tickle - didn't have loads to do but did everything very well. Made a couple of decent saves, very composed with his feet and on the attack pushed high out of his box to give defenders another passing option if needed. A very modern looking goal keeper and he doesn't look like a kid just getting started. It's early days so I'm going to stop short of making any bold claims after only seeing him play 2 games but I can see why Maloney was so excited about him.

McHugh - not a natural right back but rotated between there and centre mid as we attacked and defended. Didn't really do much wrong or shine but I think you could see he wasn't a natural defender at times. I don't think he'll likely play there in competitive games.

Hughes - superb defensively and composed on the ball.

Morrison - very good first impression, probably overshadowed by Hughes but wasn't far behind him.

McClean - in the first half switched between left back and centre half and did well but wasnt afforded any opportunity to get forward. He's really grown into a good defender. Later in the second half he was given more freedom to drive forward and make things happen.

Smith - very classy performance, always making himself available and used the ball so well. He was what Max Power was trying to be but he was nowhere near the quality of Smith. MOTM for me and was doing the water carrier / link man / pivot role that every good team needs. He looks a real player, and reminded me of Fabregas or Xavi in the way he played.

Aasgard - started in centre mid but tended to play more like a no10 when we attacked. Showed some really classy moments and impressed in the first half but was guilty a few times of trying to do too much and losing the ball. Drifted out of the game in the second half as we had less of the ball and ended up playing up front for a spell which didn't work. He's clearly got a lot of talent but he hasn't quite put it all together yet.

Humphrys - provided the majority of our threat, played very much as a traditional winger, hugging the touch line and caused Everton lots of issues. Put in some decent crosses that no one got on the end of and had a couple of shots, one of which required a very good reaction save from Pickford. Very impressive return, he's clearly got a lot to offer and he's finally going to get a long overdue fair chance to show it. He's never really been a proper striker but seemed to thrive today with a change of position and given the ball on the floor to run with. Probably guilty a couple of times of not tracking back as well as he could but I guess that's tge trade off you accept with that type of player.

McManaman - started brightly, cutting inside to get shots off and cause Everton a few issues. Like Humphrys was at times a bit guilty of not tracking the full backs overlaps but again you know that's not his game. But he noticeably tired and faded as you got deeper in the game, by about 60 mins he had completely ran out of gas which he used to do in his prime, so it is something you have to expect. He's still carries a threat but I think he'll probably be used more as an impact sub when everyone is fit so he doesn't have to worry about pacing himself.

Lang - played in the no10 role which Keane used to fill and being more central rather than on the right probably gave him less opportunity to get into 1 on 1s and beat his man which is his strength. Had a decent game but was seemingly trying to play others in rather than go himself. Personally I've always felt Lang is better on the wing so we'll see how he adapts as the season goes but wouldn't shock me if he ends up back out wide eventually. Should've had a clear penalty but ref didn't give it.

Wyke - no matter how much football you play you need a physical presence up front to play off and Wyke gave us that in the first half. He wasn't necessarily winning loads of headers but he was just able to battle and push their defenders back and create space for others to play in. He tired and faded from the game in the second half and it completely changed the momentum as we couldn't keep the ball up the field and it kept coming back at us. It really highlighted the desperate need for another physical striker to be signed as once Wyke ran out of steam there was no one else able to play that role and we couldn't play the way we did so effectively without that. We can't bank on Wyke doing 90 mins every game, Humphrys looks like he'll be used in midfield and Magennis is injured and unreliable so it's an absolute must we bring someone in to play that target man role (even if we aren't going to be pumping it long).

Subs

Whatmough - wasn't suprised but disappointed to see him start on the bench as I fear we are preparing for life without him. But him coming on hopefully indicates there's a chance we keep him. Did well once he came on.

Pearce - came on and played left and right wing, put some decent crosses in but didn't really make too much of an impact. I know Maloney likes inverted wingers but I don't think it suits Pearce as he's better on the left to get crosses in easier.

Balagizi - came on when we'd lost our way a bit way playing in attacking mid and initially seemed to struggle to get into the game but in the closing stages started to find his feet. Didn't really make a big impression but showed a couple of glimpses of quality.

Brennan - came on on the left wing and looked a bit hesitent like many young players do. Put in a decent cross for Sze.

Adeeko - when he came on Everton were not pressing as much so he had more time and space but looked very composed and confident trying to play Smiths role.

Sze - managed to get a difficult header on target but didn't really see much else of the ball. Still not physically filled out so might find the battle with centre halves a tough one at the moment.
I feel when Shaw plays Thelo will play where Lang was and he'll go where Mcmanaman was playing

I feel when Shaw plays Thelo will play where Lang was and he'll go where Mcmanaman was playing

I think you're probably right but I can see Humphrys might end up on the left eventually as with his fierce shot cutting inside onto his favoured foot will be perfect for him.

Someone posted on Twitter a screenshot from an article saying we can't pay a transfer fee for 2 windows, not heard that but after all the previous messing about it wouldn't shock me - although it would be unfair the new owners keep getting punished for the previous ones actions. Haven't we as fans and the players still here suffered enough? Punishing the wrong people.

Someone posted on Twitter a screenshot from an article saying we can't pay a transfer fee for 2 windows, not heard that but after all the previous messing about it wouldn't shock me - although it would be unfair the new owners keep getting punished for the previous ones actions. Haven't we as fans and the players still here suffered enough? Punishing the wrong people.

Wasn't this due to the non payment of HMRC tax and NI and subsequently lifted when MD took over.

Just had a look at the EFL's embargo list and can't find anything that would support the article you have seen, there are only the two outstanding judgements recorded for last season which were the points deductions for the non payments in March and May and the additional ones for failing to implement the 125% bank account.

I think what was posted was an old article being regurgitated.

View attachment 67190

This article claimed that it was in place despise the HMRC being in place.

It also says we are appealing the points deduction.

Hopefully someone can clarify.

Have a look on the EFL website at their list of clubs under embargo.

Go to EFL.com and on the drop down list headed "more" look at "Judgements and Decisions". Since 2021 the EFL agreed to publish all embargoes and decisions.

It's wrong! But it's similar to when you buy a new house & you're at fault for the previous owners unpaid gas/electric bill or fault of some kind.

It's wrong! But it's similar to when you buy a new house & you're at fault for the previous owners unpaid gas/electric bill or fault of some kind.

Sorry Runcorn but that is totally untrue, you are not responsible for anyone's electricity or gas bills. You simply inform the energy company that you have acquired the property and give them a meter reading. They cannot make you responsible for someone else's bill.

The problem we have is that the club is still registered with the EFL, had their registration lapsed then the new owner would not be responsible, unfortunately that would have meant that the club would have been expelled from the league.

The continuity of the registration is the reason the new owner has to accept the punishment, this would also apply in your reasoning if you agreed to continue the previous owners accounts with their energy suppliers and failed to initiate your own account.

Reactions: GSM
Sorry Runcorn but that is totally untrue, you are not responsible for anyone's electricity or gas bills. You simply inform the energy company that you have acquired the property and give them a meter reading. They cannot make you responsible for someone else's bill.

The problem we have is that the club is still registered with the EFL, had their registration lapsed then the new owner would not be responsible, unfortunately that would have meant that the club would have been expelled from the league.

The continuity of the registration is the reason the new owner has to accept the punishment, this would also apply in your reasoning if you agreed to continue the previous owners accounts with their energy suppliers and failed to initiate your own account.
You're a poster who I hold with high esteem on here. But, & with all due respect, my wife & I have been punished before for exactly this, despite our pleas.

You're a poster who I hold with high esteem on here. But, & with all due respect, my wife & I have been punished before for exactly this, despite our pleas.

The thing is Runcorn did you follow the rules and give them a reading from your meter when you moved in.

My daughter has just had a similar experience when they moved last month, they were sent a bill for an extortionate amount run up by the previous owner. They phoned the supplier and disputed the bill giving them a photo of the meter readings that they took when they moved in and supplying them with a solicitors letter confirming the date they took ownership. The energy company immediately cancelled the bill.

I am not disputing that this happened to you but it would seem to me that you either didn't give them a reading or they lost it.

The thing is Runcorn did you follow the rules and give them a reading from your meter when you moved in.

My daughter has just had a similar experience when they moved last month, they were sent a bill for an extortionate amount run up by the previous owner. They phoned the supplier and disputed the bill giving them a photo of the meter readings that they took when they moved in and supplying them with a solicitors letter confirming the date they took ownership. The energy company immediately cancelled the bill.

I am not disputing that this happened to you but it would seem to me that you either didn't give them a reading or they lost it.
Yes! We followed all the rules & did everything you mentioned. Anyway, it was 9 years ago. Shall we get back to talking football 😉👍

If the style of play and performances can look like that when the season starts then i will be very happy.
Charlie Hughes is so good with so little experience.
I can see Hughes going to a top Premier league club at the end of this season with said club loaning him back to us. I'd expect a very good fee. As much as I want him to stay & develop with us, I do think sadly he'll be snapped up soon-ish.

I can see Hughes going to a top Premier league club at the end of this season with said club loaning him back to us. I'd expect a very good fee. As much as I want him to stay & develop with us, I do think sadly he'll be snapped up soon-ish.
It’s gonna be that kind of thing that keeps us afloat, such is our level in the pyramid