Champions this season | Vital Football

Champions this season

Agree with all of the above. Made Everton look very ordinary in the first half especially and their goal was simply down to a bad break from an excellent block.

Good to see Hump back and very impressed with Smith who looked very cool in midfield.

Everton fans were quietly nervous until they scored.

Really positive for the season.

Thought Tickles distribution was outstanding today.
Matt Smith, Liam Morrison and Charlie Hughes stood out along with our #42, when he came on, can’t remember his name (Adeeko?)
Not sure what formation we played as it seemed to change throughout the game, strange how Wyke seemed to play much deeper especially in the second half.

Last edited:
Based on that one performance today, I too am optimistic for the season ahead. Champions this season? Perhaps a tad over optimistic. But nevertheless, we should have a stable & solid season.

Smith was outstanding in the middle with some great touches, passing & vision. I was also impressed with the young lad at RB - McHugh. Good to see Humphrys back & I feel he will feature a lot this season. Only a world class save from an International keeper kept out his chance.

It was a very good footballing performance. And whilst one can't get too carried away with a friendly, I'm really looking forward to this coming season. Because against Rotherham, I actually thought it would have been the last time I was setting foot inside the stadium ever again.

UTT!

Oh THIS is the match thread. Helpful title :grinning: Only caught the first-half, and glimpsed during the second, but we looked in good shape. Played the ball round nicely, always seemed to have options. Keep 'em fit, couple of new faces, be more than capable of holding our own next year and being a pain in the arse to the promotion-chasers. Which would have included us if not for the points deduction, but at least we still exist. That could have been A LOT worse.

We started with a very attacking and probably unbalanced looking 4-2-3-1 with McHugh at right back, Aasgard in centre mid, McManaman on the left, Lang in number 10 spot and Humphrys right wing. But when we attacked it seemed that Aasgard pushed higher into attacking mid, McHugh moved accrosd into the middle with Smith and the other 3 defenders realigned into a back 3. It was like a 3-2-4-1 and it gave us overloads in the final third that were causing Everton so many problems.

We rarely went long but when we did there was method to it with the high ball aimed at Wyke, with Humphrys running beyond him looking for a flick on and Thelo or Lang sitting in front for a knock down. It wasn't the clueless hoof and hope to a striker with no runners even if they won the header and it created some openings. Even when not going long having a physical presence with Wyke made a huge difference as it gives you someone to play off and creates space for attacking mids.

You'd think that with so many attacking players on we would be defensively very open but we were pretty solid with the only threat Everton really had was when their full backs got on the overlap and our wingers were probably a bit slow to spot the danger and track the runs. But you have to expect that to a degree if you pick so many attacking players they aren't going to be as reliable defensively.

We were very composed playing out from the keeper under pressure and quite comfortably played through the Everton press without panicking into pumping it long. We even played through their high press a couple of times to set up instant attacks with balls cutting through the lines. You could see the work from the training ground with well drilled movement to make little passing triangles to open up passing lanes to always give an easy option for the man with the ball. Tickle, the 2 centre halves and in particular Smith had a good understanding and never really looked in danger of losing it. Smith playing as a genuine pivot gave us something we've not had since Morsy and Evans left. If you want to play out from the back we were doing all the things you have to do to make it work which was very encouraging.

I can now see exactly why Maloney wanted Clare as his first pick over arguably better natural right backs, as Clare's positional flexibility makes him the perfect fit for a role that involvesso much rotation. I can imagine when Clare is fit we may even do that on both sides when we attack with McLean doing the same from left back.

The first half was the best we've played in literally years, a joy to watch. There were lots of little details in our play that we've barely seen in years that made a huge difference in allowing you to play effective and attractive football. We were by far the better team and while Everton looked poor at times a lot of that was us making them look like that. Only real critasism you may have thought was we didn't test their keeper enough but considering our whole squad was frees, loans and youth players compared to Everton who have spent around 200m on their starting 11 it was a still a very good display.

After half time Everton went up a gear and some of our players, in particular Wyke got tired and it stopped our style working as well. Which allowed Everton to start to see more of the ball and exploit our lack of defensive balance in wide areas even more. We had a couple of scares but our 2 centre halves were still bossing our box, until a deflected shot that could've gone anywhere fell perfectly to Young who smashed it in from close range giving Tickle no chance. If it wasn't for that lucky bounce I'm not sure they'd have scored.

We still had our moments in the second half but it was a shadow of the first half performance. Maybe that was because our fitness levels arent there yet, maybe it was a failure for us to adapt to Everton improving or a bit of both - but as good as we were in the first 45 we probably learned a lot more in that second 45 were we were second best. I think the first half probably had everyone dreaming, while the second was a bit of a reality check that there's still work to do and some areas need strengthening. It's nice to win a preseason game against better opposition but I'm always mindful that a good showing and a loss is probably more valuable as it helps to keep you from getting complacent and focuses attention on fixing your faults before you get to the real games.

Overall it was a very encouraging performance with lots of positives to take from it. We seems to be laying some very good foundations with a great attentionto the littledetails that add up to make a big difference. I think it was a stark contrast to the dour and often ineffective hoof and hope we've seen over the last few years and hopefully as the injured players come back, we make some further additions and everyone gets more used to the style Maloney is brining in it will get even better.

Tickle - didn't have loads to do but did everything very well. Made a couple of decent saves, very composed with his feet and on the attack pushed high out of his box to give defenders another passing option if needed. A very modern looking goal keeper and he doesn't look like a kid just getting started. It's early days so I'm going to stop short of making any bold claims after only seeing him play 2 games but I can see why Maloney was so excited about him.

McHugh - not a natural right back but rotated between there and centre mid as we attacked and defended. Didn't really do much wrong or shine but I think you could see he wasn't a natural defender at times. I don't think he'll likely play there in competitive games.

Hughes - superb defensively and composed on the ball.

Morrison - very good first impression, probably overshadowed by Hughes but wasn't far behind him.

McClean - in the first half switched between left back and centre half and did well but wasnt afforded any opportunity to get forward. He's really grown into a good defender. Later in the second half he was given more freedom to drive forward and make things happen.

Smith - very classy performance, always making himself available and used the ball so well. He was what Max Power was trying to be but he was nowhere near the quality of Smith. MOTM for me and was doing the water carrier / link man / pivot role that every good team needs. He looks a real player, and reminded me of Fabregas or Xavi in the way he played.

Aasgard - started in centre mid but tended to play more like a no10 when we attacked. Showed some really classy moments and impressed in the first half but was guilty a few times of trying to do too much and losing the ball. Drifted out of the game in the second half as we had less of the ball and ended up playing up front for a spell which didn't work. He's clearly got a lot of talent but he hasn't quite put it all together yet.

Humphrys - provided the majority of our threat, played very much as a traditional winger, hugging the touch line and caused Everton lots of issues. Put in some decent crosses that no one got on the end of and had a couple of shots, one of which required a very good reaction save from Pickford. Very impressive return, he's clearly got a lot to offer and he's finally going to get a long overdue fair chance to show it. He's never really been a proper striker but seemed to thrive today with a change of position and given the ball on the floor to run with. Probably guilty a couple of times of not tracking back as well as he could but I guess that's tge trade off you accept with that type of player.

McManaman - started brightly, cutting inside to get shots off and cause Everton a few issues. Like Humphrys was at times a bit guilty of not tracking the full backs overlaps but again you know that's not his game. But he noticeably tired and faded as you got deeper in the game, by about 60 mins he had completely ran out of gas which he used to do in his prime, so it is something you have to expect. He's still carries a threat but I think he'll probably be used more as an impact sub when everyone is fit so he doesn't have to worry about pacing himself.

Lang - played in the no10 role which Keane used to fill and being more central rather than on the right probably gave him less opportunity to get into 1 on 1s and beat his man which is his strength. Had a decent game but was seemingly trying to play others in rather than go himself. Personally I've always felt Lang is better on the wing so we'll see how he adapts as the season goes but wouldn't shock me if he ends up back out wide eventually. Should've had a clear penalty but ref didn't give it.

Wyke - no matter how much football you play you need a physical presence up front to play off and Wyke gave us that in the first half. He wasn't necessarily winning loads of headers but he was just able to battle and push their defenders back and create space for others to play in. He tired and faded from the game in the second half and it completely changed the momentum as we couldn't keep the ball up the field and it kept coming back at us. It really highlighted the desperate need for another physical striker to be signed as once Wyke ran out of steam there was no one else able to play that role and we couldn't play the way we did so effectively without that. We can't bank on Wyke doing 90 mins every game, Humphrys looks like he'll be used in midfield and Magennis is injured and unreliable so it's an absolute must we bring someone in to play that target man role (even if we aren't going to be pumping it long).

Subs

Whatmough - wasn't suprised but disappointed to see him start on the bench as I fear we are preparing for life without him. But him coming on hopefully indicates there's a chance we keep him. Did well once he came on.

Pearce - came on and played left and right wing, put some decent crosses in but didn't really make too much of an impact. I know Maloney likes inverted wingers but I don't think it suits Pearce as he's better on the left to get crosses in easier.

Balagizi - came on when we'd lost our way a bit way playing in attacking mid and initially seemed to struggle to get into the game but in the closing stages started to find his feet. Didn't really make a big impression but showed a couple of glimpses of quality.

Brennan - came on on the left wing and looked a bit hesitent like many young players do. Put in a decent cross for Sze.

Adeeko - when he came on Everton were not pressing as much so he had more time and space but looked very composed and confident trying to play Smiths role.

Sze - managed to get a difficult header on target but didn't really see much else of the ball. Still not physically filled out so might find the battle with centre halves a tough one at the moment.

We started with a very attacking and probably unbalanced looking 4-2-3-1 with McHugh at right back, Aasgard in centre mid, McManaman on the left, Lang in number 10 spot and Humphrys right wing. But when we attacked it seemed that Aasgard pushed higher into attacking mid, McHugh moved accrosd into the middle with Smith and the other 3 defenders realigned into a back 3. It was like a 3-2-4-1 and it gave us overloads in the final third that were causing Everton so many problems.

We rarely went long but when we did there was method to it with the high ball aimed at Wyke, with Humphrys running beyond him looking for a flick on and Thelo or Lang sitting in front for a knock down. It wasn't the clueless hoof and hope to a striker with no runners even if they won the header and it created some openings. Even when not going long having a physical presence with Wyke made a huge difference as it gives you someone to play off and creates space for attacking mids.

You'd think that with so many attacking players on we would be defensively very open but we were pretty solid with the only threat Everton really had was when their full backs got on the overlap and our wingers were probably a bit slow to spot the danger and track the runs. But you have to expect that to a degree if you pick so many attacking players they aren't going to be as reliable defensively.

We were very composed playing out from the keeper under pressure and quite comfortably played through the Everton press without panicking into pumping it long. We even played through their high press a couple of times to set up instant attacks with balls cutting through the lines. You could see the work from the training ground with well drilled movement to make little passing triangles to open up passing lanes to always give an easy option for the man with the ball. Tickle, the 2 centre halves and in particular Smith had a good understanding and never really looked in danger of losing it. Smith playing as a genuine pivot gave us something we've not had since Morsy and Evans left. If you want to play out from the back we were doing all the things you have to do to make it work which was very encouraging.

I can now see exactly why Maloney wanted Clare as his first pick over arguably better natural right backs, as Clare's positional flexibility makes him the perfect fit for a role that involvesso much rotation. I can imagine when Clare is fit we may even do that on both sides when we attack with McLean doing the same from left back.

The first half was the best we've played in literally years, a joy to watch. There were lots of little details in our play that we've barely seen in years that made a huge difference in allowing you to play effective and attractive football. We were by far the better team and while Everton looked poor at times a lot of that was us making them look like that. Only real critasism you may have thought was we didn't test their keeper enough but considering our whole squad was frees, loans and youth players compared to Everton who have spent around 200m on their starting 11 it was a still a very good display.

After half time Everton went up a gear and some of our players, in particular Wyke got tired and it stopped our style working as well. Which allowed Everton to start to see more of the ball and exploit our lack of defensive balance in wide areas even more. We had a couple of scares but our 2 centre halves were still bossing our box, until a deflected shot that could've gone anywhere fell perfectly to Young who smashed it in from close range giving Tickle no chance. If it wasn't for that lucky bounce I'm not sure they'd have scored.

We still had our moments in the second half but it was a shadow of the first half performance. Maybe that was because our fitness levels arent there yet, maybe it was a failure for us to adapt to Everton improving or a bit of both - but as good as we were in the first 45 we probably learned a lot more in that second 45 were we were second best. I think the first half probably had everyone dreaming, while the second was a bit of a reality check that there's still work to do and some areas need strengthening. It's nice to win a preseason game against better opposition but I'm always mindful that a good showing and a loss is probably more valuable as it helps to keep you from getting complacent and focuses attention on fixing your faults before you get to the real games.

Overall it was a very encouraging performance with lots of positives to take from it. We seems to be laying some very good foundations with a great attentionto the littledetails that add up to make a big difference. I think it was a stark contrast to the dour and often ineffective hoof and hope we've seen over the last few years and hopefully as the injured players come back, we make some further additions and everyone gets more used to the style Maloney is brining in it will get even better.
I couldn't watch the game today but it sounded like the right back (Mchugh) played that inverted full back role thar city use. I think Clare would fit that perfectly

Tickle - didn't have loads to do but did everything very well. Made a couple of decent saves, very composed with his feet and on the attack pushed high out of his box to give defenders another passing option if needed. A very modern looking goal keeper and he doesn't look like a kid just getting started. It's early days so I'm going to stop short of making any bold claims after only seeing him play 2 games but I can see why Maloney was so excited about him.

McHugh - not a natural right back but rotated between there and centre mid as we attacked and defended. Didn't really do much wrong or shine but I think you could see he wasn't a natural defender at times. I don't think he'll likely play there in competitive games.

Hughes - superb defensively and composed on the ball.

Morrison - very good first impression, probably overshadowed by Hughes but wasn't far behind him.

McClean - in the first half switched between left back and centre half and did well but wasnt afforded any opportunity to get forward. He's really grown into a good defender. Later in the second half he was given more freedom to drive forward and make things happen.

Smith - very classy performance, always making himself available and used the ball so well. He was what Max Power was trying to be but he was nowhere near the quality of Smith. MOTM for me and was doing the water carrier / link man / pivot role that every good team needs. He looks a real player, and reminded me of Fabregas or Xavi in the way he played.

Aasgard - started in centre mid but tended to play more like a no10 when we attacked. Showed some really classy moments and impressed in the first half but was guilty a few times of trying to do too much and losing the ball. Drifted out of the game in the second half as we had less of the ball and ended up playing up front for a spell which didn't work. He's clearly got a lot of talent but he hasn't quite put it all together yet.

Humphrys - provided the majority of our threat, played very much as a traditional winger, hugging the touch line and caused Everton lots of issues. Put in some decent crosses that no one got on the end of and had a couple of shots, one of which required a very good reaction save from Pickford. Very impressive return, he's clearly got a lot to offer and he's finally going to get a long overdue fair chance to show it. He's never really been a proper striker but seemed to thrive today with a change of position and given the ball on the floor to run with. Probably guilty a couple of times of not tracking back as well as he could but I guess that's tge trade off you accept with that type of player.

McManaman - started brightly, cutting inside to get shots off and cause Everton a few issues. Like Humphrys was at times a bit guilty of not tracking the full backs overlaps but again you know that's not his game. But he noticeably tired and faded as you got deeper in the game, by about 60 mins he had completely ran out of gas which he used to do in his prime, so it is something you have to expect. He's still carries a threat but I think he'll probably be used more as an impact sub when everyone is fit so he doesn't have to worry about pacing himself.

Lang - played in the no10 role which Keane used to fill and being more central rather than on the right probably gave him less opportunity to get into 1 on 1s and beat his man which is his strength. Had a decent game but was seemingly trying to play others in rather than go himself. Personally I've always felt Lang is better on the wing so we'll see how he adapts as the season goes but wouldn't shock me if he ends up back out wide eventually. Should've had a clear penalty but ref didn't give it.

Wyke - no matter how much football you play you need a physical presence up front to play off and Wyke gave us that in the first half. He wasn't necessarily winning loads of headers but he was just able to battle and push their defenders back and create space for others to play in. He tired and faded from the game in the second half and it completely changed the momentum as we couldn't keep the ball up the field and it kept coming back at us. It really highlighted the desperate need for another physical striker to be signed as once Wyke ran out of steam there was no one else able to play that role and we couldn't play the way we did so effectively without that. We can't bank on Wyke doing 90 mins every game, Humphrys looks like he'll be used in midfield and Magennis is injured and unreliable so it's an absolute must we bring someone in to play that target man role (even if we aren't going to be pumping it long).

Subs

Whatmough - wasn't suprised but disappointed to see him start on the bench as I fear we are preparing for life without him. But him coming on hopefully indicates there's a chance we keep him. Did well once he came on.

Pearce - came on and played left and right wing, put some decent crosses in but didn't really make too much of an impact. I know Maloney likes inverted wingers but I don't think it suits Pearce as he's better on the left to get crosses in easier.

Balagizi - came on when we'd lost our way a bit way playing in attacking mid and initially seemed to struggle to get into the game but in the closing stages started to find his feet. Didn't really make a big impression but showed a couple of glimpses of quality.

Brennan - came on on the left wing and looked a bit hesitent like many young players do. Put in a decent cross for Sze.

Adeeko - when he came on Everton were not pressing as much so he had more time and space but looked very composed and confident trying to play Smiths role.

Sze - managed to get a difficult header on target but didn't really see much else of the ball. Still not physically filled out so might find the battle with centre halves a tough one at the moment.
Great man to man assessment once again KDZ. I'd like to see Lang revert back to his wing position & Humphrys in the No 10 role alongside Wyke.

Thinking about it, Smith looks more like a replacement for Tiehi and that’s an even more exciting thing.
There’s still Liam Shaw to come into the team too, I think he’ll be more of the ‘ball winning’ midfielder but his physical attributes mean he’s able to drive forward too. Balagizi also looks very comfortable in possession. I’m really looking forward to this season and it’ll be good to see us build a team with an attractive style of play.

Another thing of note is despite how pleasing on the eye we looked yesterday, we were playing Premier League opposition who would give you more time on the ball.

It'll be interesting to see how the style we play fares against L1 opponents who come to park the bus. However, Lang seems optimistic for the season ahead from what I've read this morning & everyone seems on board with what Maloney is trying to adopt.