Champions League 2022-23 | Vital Football

Champions League 2022-23

Gary Onedaysoon

*Prediction Champion 20/21 & 21/22*
The draw for the Champions League group stage is on Thursday, 5pm.

The 32 remaining teams have been allocated to the following pots:

Pot 1 Real Madrid, Eintracht Frankfurt, Manchester City, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Porto, Ajax

Pot 2 Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Seville, RB Leipzig, Tottenham Hotspur

Pot 3 Borussia Dortmund, Salzburg, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Napoli, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Bayer Leverkusen

Pot 4 Marseille, Club Bruges, Celtic, Viktoria Plzen, Maccabi Haifa, Rangers/PSV Eindhoven, Dinamo Zagreb/FK Bodo Glimt, FC Copenhagen/Trabzonspor

There are 8 groups of 4 teams drawn randomly, one from each pot.

Teams from the same country cannot be drawn in the same group.

This is the penultimate year of this format before the new expanded 'Swiss model' takes place in 2024-25.

The draw for the Champions League group stage is on Thursday, 5pm.

The 32 remaining teams have been allocated to the following pots:

Pot 1 Real Madrid, Eintracht Frankfurt, Manchester City, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Porto, Ajax

Pot 2 Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Seville, RB Leipzig, Tottenham Hotspur

Pot 3 Borussia Dortmund, Salzburg, Shakhtar Donetsk, Inter Milan, Napoli, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Bayer Leverkusen

Pot 4 Marseille, Club Bruges, Celtic, Viktoria Plzen, Maccabi Haifa, Rangers/PSV Eindhoven, Dinamo Zagreb/FK Bodo Glimt, FC Copenhagen/Trabzonspor

There are 8 groups of 4 teams drawn randomly, one from each pot.

Teams from the same country cannot be drawn in the same group.

This is the penultimate year of this format before the new expanded 'Swiss model' takes place in 2024-25.

Well done Gary - can you 'own' all updates on this thread?

So long as we avoid these 2 teams together I think we will do alright...

R.Madrid/Bayern/Psg (pot 1) and Dortmund (pot 3)

A group of us, Dortmund and one them in pot 1 will be really difficult.

Purely for the thrill of the atmosphere on those special European nights, I really hope we draw Celtic.

Celtic at Parkhead on a Champions League night is something special. Messi said it was the greatest ground in terms of atmosphere he had experienced in European football. And in the return leg, whatever their allocation, you can be sure large numbers will get tickets for around the ground.

And we should get between 4 to 6 points from both games.

Real Madrid/Dortmund/Celtic would be my preference for a group of Champions League big nights.

Last edited:
Best chance of topping the group (possibly)

Ajax, Spurs, Benfica, Viktoria Plzen

Group of death

Real Madrid, Spurs, Dortmund, Marseille

What I’d like to see

PSG, Spurs, Napoli, Celtic
I seem to remember we won a group of death in 2017-18. Real Madrid, Dortmund...

It will be interesting to see how Conte's system matches up against European opponents.