Carabao Cup Final - Manchester City v Aston Villa - Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Carabao Cup Final - Manchester City v Aston Villa - Post Match Thread

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Manchester City 2 (Aguero, Rodri) - Aston Villa 1

FT Stats
Possession
City 71% Villa 29%
Corners
City 13 Villa 2
Offsides
City 2 Villa 0
Fouls
City 13 Villa 7
Cards

City 2 Rodri, Sterling - Villa 3
On Target

City 4 Villa 3
Woodwork
City 0 Villa 1
Off Target
City 10 Villa 2

att: 82,149

Last edited:
The Final notes
Manchester City
  • Manchester City have now won the League Cup seven times, a tally surpassed only by Liverpool (eight). City have won the trophy in five of the last six seasons, including each of the last three; the only other team to win it three years in a row are Liverpool, who won it in four consecutive years between 1981 and 1984.
  • Man City have won eight of their last nine matches against Aston Villa in all competitions (D1), scoring 28 goals and conceding just four across those games.
  • Manchester City have progressed or won the final of each of their last 19 domestic English cup ties (FA/League Cup), the longest beating Chelsea's record between October 2006 and February 2008,18 in a row), whose run was ended by a League Cup final defeat against Spurs.
  • Man City striker Sergio Aguero has scored ten goals in his last five starts against Aston Villa, all in the Premier League, including a hat-trick in a 6-1 win in January.
  • The Argentine has scored six and assisted two more in ten appearances at Wembley for City
  • This will be Man City manager Pep Guardiola 25th final as a top-flight manager, winning 21 of the previous 24, including all six with City (two Community Shields, three League Cups, one FA Cup). Four of his previous seven finals had gone to penalty shootouts (W3 L1).

MUEN
Player Ratings
Starting XI:

Bravo - 7
Walker - 7
Stones - 5
Fernandinho - 8
Zinchenko - 7
Rodrigo - 8
Gundogan - 7
D Silva (c) - 7
Foden - 8
Sterling - 6
Aguero - 7

Substitutes

De Bruyne 6 Bernardo NA, Jesus NA, not used - Ederson, Mendy, Mahrez, Otamendi

----------------------------------------------------
I think the score for Stones is harsh as apart from that tumble he did pretty well

Phil Foden was asked by Sky Sports when he found out that he'd be in the starting line-up: "The day before, in training, the manager was working on tactics - I couldn’t wait to play. It was an unbelievable day.

"I have to say fair play to Aston Villa, they gave us a really good game.

"When I play, every minute counts, so I try and do my best and I’m very proud of my performance today.

"You look at players like Kevin de Bruyne and David Silva, who are great, so when I get into the team I have to make the most of it."

Last edited:
Dion Dublin
Former Aston Villa & Man Utd striker on BBC Radio 5 Live
"I like how Pep stays away. He lets the players have their moment."

3 - Pep Guardiola has now won the League Cup on three occasions (2018, 2019, 2020) – only Alex Ferguson (4), Brian Clough (4) and Jose Mourinho (4) have won the competition more as managers. Vigour.

David Silva has the trophy in his hands. There's a touch of confusion as they contemplate the kind of shared trophy lift that should be outlawed.

They decide it is just Silva to do the honours and he pushes it into the air.

Well done Manchester City. Another one to polish.

Rodri has also been having a chat with Sky Sports: "We know they are a really tough team because they are really tall and strong, so we knew we could never give up. Happy for the team because it's tough being here.

"I think they score because of our mistake. At the end, we suffered a little bit but I think we have enough chances to score more goals, but we are happy for the team. It's the second title for us so we are very happy."

Sergio Aguero speaking to Sky Sports: "The goal, for me, it's important when the team is winning, so I am so happy for the goal but I am happy because we are winning the cup.

On his late injury: "I'm OK, just a kick on my knee, I'm fine."

98ee0f5f-eedf-4720-b535-bae5cfca26bb

Aston Villa have scored 20 League Cup goals this season, the last side to net 20+ in a single EFL Cup campaign were Manchester City in 2013-14 (22).

MUEN
Player Ratings
Starting XI:

Bravo - 7
Walker - 7
Stones - 5
Fernandinho - 8
Zinchenko - 7
Rodrigo - 8
Gundogan - 7
D Silva (c) - 7
Foden - 8
Sterling - 6
Aguero - 7

Substitutes

De Bruyne 6 Bernardo NA, Jesus NA, not used - Ederson, Mendy, Mahrez, Otamendi

----------------------------------------------------
I think the score for Stones is harsh as apart from that tumble he did pretty well
5 for Stones? Idiots.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola: "Three times in a row is a big success. It's the consistency, incredible.

"It was awesome. We struggled in the first minutes and the last ones. They had two clear chances in the first minutes but we played really well, especially in the second half.

"The game was good. Phil was clinical. Big success, our second title of the season with the Community Shield, it's so nice.

"We've won a lot. I tried when we arrive, every game we play we try to win it, every competition we try to win it, and three trimes in a row, being here and winning is great."

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola: "Three times in a row is a big success. It's the consistency, incredible.

"It was awesome. We struggled in the first minutes and the last ones. They had two clear chances in the first minutes but we played really well, especially in the second half.

"The game was good. Phil was clinical. Big success, our second title of the season with the Community Shield, it's so nice.

"We've won a lot. I tried when we arrive, every game we play we try to win it, every competition we try to win it, and three trimes in a row, being here and winning is great."
Pep the Master. :clap::clap::clap: