Capt Pugwash Vs Capt Alfonso | Page 2 | Vital Football

Capt Pugwash Vs Capt Alfonso

Not at all suprised we went out, the squad depth is very shallow so we couldnt risk any first teamers. Making 11 changes was always going to give us a weak side against what was close to being a first choice side.

It shows how desperately short of strength and depth we are. Some of the kids probably need to be out on loan playing every week and some of the senior players arguably not doing enough.

Talal said he wanted 5 signings, we've got 2, so 3 more in theory but I think we may need to move a few out and replace them as well.

Tonight showed again that our senior bench warmers are simply not good enough but we do have some talent amongst the youngsters!Carragher,Hughes and Adeeko did their prospects no harm whilst Humprys and shinnie showed virtually nothing!I really think the arrival of Broadhead will herald the departure of Humps as sadly i can't see any space for him!Nyambe didn't look fit and can be given other chances whilst Thelo still flatters to deceive,some good things but also a lot of poor things from him!All in all i think this will have made up Leams mind about a lot of our players!!

I thought Thelo could've benefited from a loan last season and I think the same now. He has potential but to maximise it he needs games asap and he's likely going to be restricted to a bit part player here. But small squad and 5 subs means we'd need to strengthen a fair bit to give us the option to let him go on loan.

I think Humphrys is another who has a lot of potential but I don't think Richardson has ever really been sold on him, so it wouldn't shock me to see him go.

We've not really got anything out of Shinnie up to now, so if we can get a decent centre mid in I could see him going too.

I don't understand how we can write players off when they haven't played together frequently or haven't had much game time. Football is a team game and players are dependent on each other's movements etc. The 1st team players have been playing as a team for so many months so understand each other. If one of them is not having a good game the others make up for him. In a team of 11 players who have never played as a team before can we really expect them to shine or do well?

The important thing is to integrate the fringe players in to the starting 11, not rule them out because they've played with 10 other 2nd choice players. Always disappointing to lose any game, but my Fleetwood supporting friend was impressed with our performance, and travelling support. We have talent in the academy, we just need to be clever with how we turn them in to professional players

I wouldn’t be surprised if Magennis left before the end of the window. Can see a club in League One trying to snap him up to aid their promotion push

We once had a proud history in this competition constantly knocking out teams from the leagues above us whereas now the club just lets its fans down badly with this policy of getting knocked out asap. Dont sell tickets and dont expect fans to attend if your deliberately not fielding a side capable of competing.

You can't have it both ways...we need to look at fringe players and give them game time to assess squad depth and the need to strengthen. I'd sooner he did this in cup matches than league games so have no problem making so many changes. It might even work in our favour during the window as we do seem a bit light on depth.

First (competitive) Latics match ever for me. Thought I'd give a full report.

Caught the Eavesway coach with my dad at the DW. Enjoyed the ride up to Fleetwood. Really growing to appreciate the beauty of the northwest.

Met up with a Latics fan who I met in NY last January at Jim's Bar on the stadium ground. Fun atmosphere in there prematch. Nice spot for home and away supporters to be together. The Madri was flowing.

Stood in the terrace towards one of the corners for the match and was impressed with the (away) fan turnout.

1st half... we started fairly positive... Carragher made a big tackle in the box right away... we clearly had trouble defending set pieces with this group... the Fleetwood goal was very soft...

2nd half... Fleetwood nearly scored from the outset but the rest of the half was all Latics even though we could've done much better with our chances (obviously)... atmosphere really picked up over the final half hour...

Hughes was probably the most overall impressive player to me... Oozed confidence on the ball and in defense...

Thought Thelo was far and away our best attacking player... Even my dad who knows nothing about football was able to recognize that he was a tier above everyone else on the pitch...

Midfield left a lot to be desired all night but Adeeko had some lively moments in the 2nd half

Humps had a few good dribbles forward 2nd half but was bereft of service for the most part

Was disappointed in Pearce overall (although he grew into the game as the team did 2nd half) ...I expected much better from his crossing

My dad and I had a great experience and were able to accept the result for what it was.

We know that Saturday will be a completely different match.

Humphrys mainly gets chances when it's a completely makeshift defence and midfield behind him and he suffers from it. When he's had the chance to start for the first XI (or gets a decent run as a sub) he's shown that he has a lot about him. I just think that because he isn't a perfect rounded 9 who will lead the line, rough up defenders, and score goals, LR just doesn't see him as breaking into the starting lineup and is looking for something slightly different. I do think Humphrys could be a really good sub option for us, but he needs to have his confidence up and at the moment he just seems a bit short, and who can blame him.

Completely agree that there's 2 or 3 players who need to go out on loan.

Well, the 2nd half was a step up in performance to the first ... and the last 25 mins of the 2nd half was another step up again.

Got to agree with most of what NYC Latics says ... especially with regard to Hughes. He's a big BIG talent, and was excellent last night.

Though I was critical of Shinnie in the 1st half, he improved significantly in the 2nd, and showed more of what he's capable of doing.

Humphrys though remained disappointing ... in two ways. I don't think his positional sense is great, as there were some belting crosses that he just couldn't get on the end of, and too often, he ends up out wide, with no-one replacing him as a target in the middle. We should have had an equaliser too, but either he or Brennan (who got even more anonymous in the 2nd half) missed what was basically a sitter from about 3 yards out. (Not sure who missed it, as we were looking through a gaggle of bodies, ... and my eyes are crap !).

I've absolutely no problem whatsoever with reserve teams being fielded in Caribou (League) cup games. I loved going to Wembley, but it's highly unlikely we'd do that as a bottom half Championship club. We've all been talking about the current lack of real depth in the squad, so resting the 1st XI while giving pitch time to subs and fringe players is just common sense.

So, going out of this competition isn't any great loss (in my opinion), and if it's helped in confirming the thoughts of the management team on individual players (whether positive or negative) then it was worthwhile.

Humphrys mainly gets chances when it's a completely makeshift defence and midfield behind him and he suffers from it. When he's had the chance to start for the first XI (or gets a decent run as a sub) he's shown that he has a lot about him. I just think that because he isn't a perfect rounded 9 who will lead the line, rough up defenders, and score goals, LR just doesn't see him as breaking into the starting lineup and is looking for something slightly different. I do think Humphrys could be a really good sub option for us, but he needs to have his confidence up and at the moment he just seems a bit short, and who can blame him.

Completely agree that there's 2 or 3 players who need to go out on loan.

Thank you!! My thoughts too. Critics should look at his game time and understand that he had hardly any time to get to gel with 1st team in a competitive match.

We once had a proud history in this competition constantly knocking out teams from the leagues above us whereas now the club just lets its fans down badly with this policy of getting knocked out asap. Dont sell tickets and dont expect fans to attend if your deliberately not fielding a side capable of competing.
Really ??
Have you not noticed the problems we have had in the past 3 years?
League is priority, this competition comes way too early in the season and is used by a lot of clubs to look at fringe or youth playeres, especially when they have far greater priorities with the league. Anyone buying a ticket for these games knows the score so can't complain

Thank you!! My thoughts too. Critics should look at his game time and understand that he had hardly any time to get to gel with 1st team in a competitive match.
I agree with that NZFC, but that doesn't exempt people from commenting on the negative aspects of his (or any player's) game.

Personally, I'm not writing off any player, and certainly not Humphrys, but that shouldn't stop us from saying that he didn't play great last night. Same with Shinnie (1st half), Pearce (at times) and Brennan (who to be honest looked out of his depth).

I fully get that as a team, they'd not really played together, but in individual responsibilities, some of the players didn't really hit the required marks last night ... but that's it, it's gone now. It doesn't mean that any of them can't be on the bench in a league game, get on the pitch and play a decent part.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Magennis left before the end of the window. Can see a club in League One trying to snap him up to aid their promotion push

I'm not so sure as i think there the management have always fancied Mageniss over Humphrys, so if anyone goes i think it would be Humphrys. To allow both out we'd need at least 1 striker in and i'm not sure if we'll manage that with how tough we've found it to get players in.

Every time I’ve seen Shinnie looks like he doesn’t want to be here

Not sure i'd say he doesn't look interested but i don't think he's looked that great.

For me he's not as Naylor defensively and not looked as good as Power on the ball. He's a battler but his lack of height and pace in our high intensity style midfield just seems like it's not the right fit.

I'm sure i read that his family had moved back up to Scotland, so i could easily see him going later in the window if we get someone else in first.

He had half an hour to make a mark on Saturday, with players he has been with for over 12 months spent countless hours/day in training with them and a lot of minutes on the pitch during that time, and was still poor when he came on, would it not be fare say the rest of the team would know his game and him know theirs, how do you explain his inability to 'step up' so far.

First (competitive) Latics match ever for me. Thought I'd give a full report.

Caught the Eavesway coach with my dad at the DW. Enjoyed the ride up to Fleetwood. Really growing to appreciate the beauty of the northwest.

Met up with a Latics fan who I met in NY last January at Jim's Bar on the stadium ground. Fun atmosphere in there prematch. Nice spot for home and away supporters to be together. The Madri was flowing.

Stood in the terrace towards one of the corners for the match and was impressed with the (away) fan turnout.

1st half... we started fairly positive... Carragher made a big tackle in the box right away... we clearly had trouble defending set pieces with this group... the Fleetwood goal was very soft...

2nd half... Fleetwood nearly scored from the outset but the rest of the half was all Latics even though we could've done much better with our chances (obviously)... atmosphere really picked up over the final half hour...

Hughes was probably the most overall impressive player to me... Oozed confidence on the ball and in defense...

Thought Thelo was far and away our best attacking player... Even my dad who knows nothing about football was able to recognize that he was a tier above everyone else on the pitch...

Midfield left a lot to be desired all night but Adeeko had some lively moments in the 2nd half

Humps had a few good dribbles forward 2nd half but was bereft of service for the most part

Was disappointed in Pearce overall (although he grew into the game as the team did 2nd half) ...I expected much better from his crossing

My dad and I had a great experience and were able to accept the result for what it was.

We know that Saturday will be a completely different match.

Glad you had a good experience, but hopefully it'll be better on Saturday.

I think we've got to start asking questions about Pearce, he's hardly had a good game over the last year or so. He's undoubtedly got potential, pace and a good cross on him but when he's given chances to start and make a claim as first choice left back he's never really taken one of them.

He's always got the potential to get an assist but we need to see more from him overall. The fact Darikwa who struggles on the left is often fancied ahead of him as a left back option is quite concerning.

We've seen he can be a very good player a few years ago, but he needs to start to show that again.