Capt Pugwash Vs Capt Alfonso | Page 3 | Vital Football

Capt Pugwash Vs Capt Alfonso

He had half an hour to make a mark on Saturday, with players he has been with for over 12 months spent countless hours/day in training with them and a lot of minutes on the pitch during that time, and was still poor when he came on, would it not be fare say the rest of the team would know his game and him know theirs, how do you explain his inability to 'step up' so far.
I'd be keen to know the actual minutes he played in league (not cup games) games since he signed. I think it is unfair to single him out for the Norwich game. Norwich was a PL team and we were a L1 team 2 odd months ago. And Norwich just bought an £11m player. His style is different to Magennis or Wyke.
I wouldn't judge his "stepping up" based on 30 mins of play. Remember Jordi Gomez and Kal Naismith who were booed on substitution and during the game. Jordi went on social media to comment on it (not directly) and Power came out to defend Naismith. Horrid times that I do not want to witness again.

I agree with that NZFC, but that doesn't exempt people from commenting on the negative aspects of his (or any player's) game.

Personally, I'm not writing off any player, and certainly not Humphrys, but that shouldn't stop us from saying that he didn't play great last night. Same with Shinnie (1st half), Pearce (at times) and Brennan (who to be honest looked out of his depth).

I fully get that as a team, they'd not really played together, but in individual responsibilities, some of the players didn't really hit the required marks last night ... but that's it, it's gone now. It doesn't mean that any of them can't be on the bench in a league game, get on the pitch and play a decent part.
What I object is the dismissive way some on here write about various players. No problem about discussing but saying they're not good enough is laughable. Who are they to say players are not good enough? They should probably realise that they are the ones sitting at a device typing such comments instead of being on the training pitch with the players.

What I object is the dismissive way some on here write about various players. No problem about discussing but saying they're not good enough is laughable.
I get that. Same here. Voicing an opinion about a performance is one thing *and quite a reasonable thing for fans to do) ... reaching conclusions about their abilities (when let's face it, most - none? - of us aren't really qualified to do so) is another thing completely.

First (competitive) Latics match ever for me. Thought I'd give a full report.

Caught the Eavesway coach with my dad at the DW. Enjoyed the ride up to Fleetwood. Really growing to appreciate the beauty of the northwest.

Met up with a Latics fan who I met in NY last January at Jim's Bar on the stadium ground. Fun atmosphere in there prematch. Nice spot for home and away supporters to be together. The Madri was flowing.

Stood in the terrace towards one of the corners for the match and was impressed with the (away) fan turnout.

1st half... we started fairly positive... Carragher made a big tackle in the box right away... we clearly had trouble defending set pieces with this group... the Fleetwood goal was very soft...

2nd half... Fleetwood nearly scored from the outset but the rest of the half was all Latics even though we could've done much better with our chances (obviously)... atmosphere really picked up over the final half hour...

Hughes was probably the most overall impressive player to me... Oozed confidence on the ball and in defense...

Thought Thelo was far and away our best attacking player... Even my dad who knows nothing about football was able to recognize that he was a tier above everyone else on the pitch...

Midfield left a lot to be desired all night but Adeeko had some lively moments in the 2nd half

Humps had a few good dribbles forward 2nd half but was bereft of service for the most part

Was disappointed in Pearce overall (although he grew into the game as the team did 2nd half) ...I expected much better from his crossing

My dad and I had a great experience and were able to accept the result for what it was.

We know that Saturday will be a completely different match.

Fantastic you had such a good time.

I recall my first match in 1985, at home to Blackpool at Springfield Park. Was ten and my Dad took me with his mates. Was stood behind the goal. We were losing at the break and I recall my Dads mate asking if I was enjoying it. I said I was and he said to my Dad ‘well if he’s enjoying this rubbish then he’ll be hooked for a life’. Remember that to this day. Once you’ve got the bug NYC, it’s a life affliction. Hopefully we’ll score some goals and you’ll get to witness a victory Saturday.

Every time I’ve seen Shinnie looks like he doesn’t want to be here

Not sure i'd say he doesn't look interested but i don't think he's looked that great.

It's interesting how we all see things differently. I was disappointed with Shinnie first half as I thought he was largely anonymous but second half he covered every blade of grass and I thought he looked the best player on the pitch.

It's interesting how we all see things differently. I was disappointed with Shinnie first half as I thought he was largely anonymous but second half he covered every blade of grass and I thought he looked the best player on the pitch.

I was talking more generally since he arrived rather than just last night.

To be fair he's not had an extended run in the team but I think he's not really show enough to warrant more game time IMO.

Caught the Eavesway coach with my dad at the DW. Enjoyed the ride up to Fleetwood. Really growing to appreciate the beauty of the northwest.

Met up with a Latics fan who I met in NY last January at Jim's Bar on the stadium ground. Fun atmosphere in there prematch. Nice spot for home and away supporters to be together. The Madri was flowing.

Stood in the terrace towards one of the corners for the match and was impressed with the (away) fan turnout.

1st half... we started fairly positive... Carragher made a big tackle in the box right away... we clearly had trouble defending set pieces with this group... the Fleetwood goal was very soft...

2nd half... Fleetwood nearly scored from the outset but the rest of the half was all Latics even though we could've done much better with our chances (obviously)... atmosphere really picked up over the final half hour...

Hughes was probably the most overall impressive player to me... Oozed confidence on the ball and in defense...

Thought Thelo was far and away our best attacking player... Even my dad who knows nothing about football was able to recognize that he was a tier above everyone else on the pitch...

Midfield left a lot to be desired all night but Adeeko had some lively moments in the 2nd half

Humps had a few good dribbles forward 2nd half but was bereft of service for the most part

Was disappointed in Pearce overall (although he grew into the game as the team did 2nd half) ...I expected much better from his crossing

My dad and I had a great experience and were able to accept the result for what it was.

Welcome to the family Yung un up the f_.* ING tics

I was talking more generally since he arrived rather than just last night.

To be fair he's not had an extended run in the team but I think he's not really show enough to warrant more game time IMO.
In defence of Shinnie - I cannot see how you think he hasn't showed enough. What game(s) was that? bearing in mind Leam tends to sub around 70+ minutes (if at all). I attend most games and can't remember him having a run.

In defence of Shinnie - I cannot see how you think he hasn't showed enough. What game(s) was that? bearing in mind Leam tends to sub around 70+ minutes (if at all). I attend most games and can't remember him having a run.

The only game i recall him standing out Oxford home after we switched formation - which was the only game he played with both Power and Naylor in midfield. The rest of the games he was with Naylor in def mid and i don't think it really worked that well.

Defensively i didn't think he looked anywhere near as good as Naylor but didn't offer much more attacking threat either and in possession he wasn't anywhere near as good as Power on the ball but i don't think offered much more defensively either. He was ok most of the time, but didn't strike me as being better or different than what we have in L1.

He made 11 appearances, 7 of them were starts - not a great deal, so maybe if he was given a longer run he'd improve but for me he's looked our 4th best central midfielder when we probably need to be upgrading on the starting 11.

Shinnie doesn't become a poor player overnight...he needs minutes. He has played well in the championship before.

Shinnie does indeed need more minutes on the pitch. He was POTS at Derby. He must have something about him.

No doubt Shinnie did well for Derby in the past. But he played in a different system / style. They played a 3 man central mid while we always play 2 in middle in either of our 2 main formations.

Would we want to drop our no.10 role to put another central mid to replicate Derby's system or in either a 2 or a 3 man central midfield would Shinnie be a better pick ahead of Naylor, Power or Cousins when they are all fit?

Some players just suit different set ups, i don't think Shinnie suits ours like he did Derby's unfortunately.

Last edited:

And then a trip to the Lakes.

Well, the 2nd half was a step up in performance to the first ... and the last 25 mins of the 2nd half was another step up again.

Got to agree with most of what NYC Latics says ... especially with regard to Hughes. He's a big BIG talent, and was excellent last night.

Though I was critical of Shinnie in the 1st half, he improved significantly in the 2nd, and showed more of what he's capable of doing.

Humphrys though remained disappointing ... in two ways. I don't think his positional sense is great, as there were some belting crosses that he just couldn't get on the end of, and too often, he ends up out wide, with no-one replacing him as a target in the middle. We should have had an equaliser too, but either he or Brennan (who got even more anonymous in the 2nd half) missed what was basically a sitter from about 3 yards out. (Not sure who missed it, as we were looking through a gaggle of bodies, ... and my eyes are crap !).

I've absolutely no problem whatsoever with reserve teams being fielded in Caribou (League) cup games. I loved going to Wembley, but it's highly unlikely we'd do that as a bottom half Championship club. We've all been talking about the current lack of real depth in the squad, so resting the 1st XI while giving pitch time to subs and fringe players is just common sense.

So, going out of this competition isn't any great loss (in my opinion), and if it's helped in confirming the thoughts of the management team on individual players (whether positive or negative) then it was worthwhile.
We have seen the striker pushed out wide many a time at Latics. Humphs isn't the first and won't be the last. Actually we have ruined many a striker at our strikers graveyard going back to Jason Scotland.

We have seen the striker pushed out wide many a time at Latics. Humphs isn't the first and won't be the last. Actually we have ruined many a striker at our strikers graveyard going back to Jason Scotland.

I'm not sure he was being "pushed" out there ... in fact, I'm fairly certain he wasn't. He just doesn't seem to stay/be in the right place. He missed getting on the end of some superb crosses into the middle.

As for Scotland, it was a combination of age and standard. Martinez hoped he'd do at Wigan what he did at Swansea, but him being 30, and playing against defenders the like of which he'd never faced before, he was found out, that's all. He didn't fare much better after he left us.

I'd be keen to know the actual minutes he played in league (not cup games) games since he signed. I think it is unfair to single him out for the Norwich game. Norwich was a PL team and we were a L1 team 2 odd months ago. And Norwich just bought an £11m player. His style is different to Magennis or Wyke.
I wouldn't judge his "stepping up" based on 30 mins of play. Remember Jordi Gomez and Kal Naismith who were booed on substitution and during the game. Jordi went on social media to comment on it (not directly) and Power came out to defend Naismith. Horrid times that I do not want to witness again.
Let's see what Broadhead look like if he has to play as a lone striker.