Bury | Page 73 | Vital Football

Bury

I genuinely feel sorry for their fans and keep imagining how we would feel if it was us. I know we'd fight tooth and nail to hang onto our club.

However, they haven't got themselves into this situation by accident over-night. The owners (succession of owners) have blatantly violated the rules, over-spent until there's no money left in the kitty in the hope of buying success and gaining an advantage. Quite simply, they've cheated and the EFL have stood by and let them.

They've already had 4 or 5 games suspended. Another 4 or 5 whilst they sort out a last minute take-over equates to a quarter of the season! I would argue that it's already gone past the point of no return. The EFL can't sweep this under the carpet and expect everyone to carry on as though nothing's happened.

In my opinion Bury should now lose their league status - and I take no pleasure in saying that. They should be passed over to the FA who hopefully can allocate them a place lower down the pyramid and they'll have to work their way back up. I realise that this effectively means missing a season, but at least the club survives (assuming someone takes ownership of course)

However having said that, I believe the EFL will grant another extension, sanction a take-over (whether credible or not!) and sweep the whole sorry affair under the carpet and expect everyone to carry on as before.

Agree with Casper that fans deserve every chance for their club.
But actually they have had every chance already and more. For starters, no normal league would have let this go beyond the AGM. Then at the very outside, the eve of the new season would have been a final final deadline.
But it's not just Bury or Bolton fans who deserve thinking about, it's all the other fans of other clubs too. Yeovil might still be in the League for example. Or Orient the season before (as this is not just a single season issue with these clubs). Maybe things could have been different for ourselves 8 years back.
And this is the key point. There has to be proper and strict enforcement on clubs finances from now on so these sorry situations don't keep repeating. And then none of us who love our clubs should have to go through this again.

I totally understand why so many people are saying kick them out now, get rid, let them go bust, they have had way too long etc all of these things.

However all I know is that if it was our club in this mess I would want it to be given every single last chance to survive because I know how passionate we are and how much our club means to us.

Just think about that for a moment.
We don't have to think about it, we lived it back in 2002, but that was the only time; What is this, Bury's third time?

The EFL is in a right mess anyway.

Morecambe, Macclesfield, Oldham, Coventry, Birmingham, Bury, Bolton, Blackpool, Charlton, Portsmouth, Orient and Northampton have all had/have issues with paying players and/or dodgy owners in recent years.

And on top of that you've got Clubs, like Derby, who're selling their Stadium to get around FFP.

If the penny isn't dropping at EFL HQ by now, it never will. What we're seeing now is a result of lackadaisical governing from a group who've been more intent on increasing publicity of the Carabao Cup by jetting people off to Mongolia for a 2.30am cup draw.

We don't have to think about it, we lived it back in 2002, but that was the only time; What is this, Bury's third time?

Yes and I remember how crap and sh-t that felt and how helpless it made me feel. Yes I get all this they have had too long etc etc.

But that feeling I had back in 2002 is exactly why I just cannot bring myself to join in all this negativity towards them and all this their time is up etc. Because I know exactly what the Bury fans are going through and I just hope beyond hope that some last minute deal can save them because it's the fans that I truly feel for!

Last edited:
The EFL is in a right mess anyway.

Morecambe, Macclesfield, Oldham, Coventry, Birmingham, Bury, Bolton, Blackpool, Charlton, Portsmouth, Orient and Northampton have all had/have issues with paying players and/or dodgy owners in recent years.

And on top of that you've got Clubs, like Derby, who're selling their Stadium to get around FFP.

If the penny isn't dropping at EFL HQ by now, it never will. What we're seeing now is a result of lackadaisical governing from a group who've been more intent on increasing publicity of the Carabao Cup by jetting people off to Mongolia for a 2.30am cup draw.

No what we are seeing now is the result of the Premier Leagues greed affect spilling down and making clubs over extend themselves to keep up!

If the FA had been stronger back in the 90's and stood up to the big clubs and told them to F-off with the idea of the PL and not sanctioned it we wouldn't have had the almighty mess we have now! It's all about the greed at the top!!

Bury’s time isn’t up, they can reform at a level that will take them, sort out reasonable finances, get their self-respect back, and build themselves back up towards being a league club again. The fans of the town will still have a club to support. Similar happened to Newport, over £300,000 debt... and they have done it.

Same applies to Bolton and their fans.

I totally understand why so many people are saying kick them out now, get rid, let them go bust, they have had way too long etc all of these things.

However all I know is that if it was our club in this mess I would want it to be given every single last chance to survive because I know how passionate we are and how much our club means to us.

Just think about that for a moment.

Not a convincing argument tbh.

I wouldn’t expect my club to have such total disregard for the competitions which we were competing in. I have an emotional connection with my club, and would expect it to have values similar to my own. If they didn’t, I’d look elsewhere. The two clubs have cheated their way to this position. That said, I would of course naturally feel passionately about my own club if it were us (and we certainly have been close to folding, and I’ve lived through that). The difference is, I would not expect the EFL and the other clubs to be dragged along on a saga like what’s unfolding here. I would have fully expected to be competing in a non-league division from the start of the season, possibly as a Phoenix club. So, I don’t think your position holds much water to those that uphold the integrity of the league and it’s history - it’s the prestige of the league that makes membership of it worthwhile. At the moment the integrity of the league is being dragged through the mud - and for what, so cheats can prosper at the expense of those that play by the rules.

I read the Phil Neville is banging on about saving Bury, his mum working there etc, well if he could have convinced his mates to invest in Bury and not Salford then maybe they wouldn't be in this mess!?

Weird take. It’s not Phil Neville’s fault.

Bury’s time isn’t up, they can reform at a level that will take them, sort out reasonable finances, get their self-respect back, and build themselves back up towards being a league club again. The fans of the town will still have a club to support. Similar happened to Newport, over £300,000 debt... and they have done it.

Same applies to Bolton and their fans.

Exactly.
Accrington came back too. Took a long time but they did it eventually.
Newport fans had to watch their team play in all sorts of places and groundshares and enduring Welsh FA throwing them out of Wales. But they kept going and after 25 years regained their league place.
Wimbledon had their club simply robbed off them. But they didn't give up and climbed back all the levels too.
Aldershot have done it.
Hereford and Darlington are still aiming to return but are battling on.
We may well see Stockport back in the league in the next season or so. Also never gave up.

Those Clubs demonstrate what has to happen.

But for the other clubs in League 1, decisions are needed immediately on the fate of Bury and Bolton.

Lessons should have been learned but until the EFL grows some teeth, and there are fixed rules and fixed time frames SNAFU will prevail.

Last edited:
“If they come to us and say we’ll put £100 in, £1,000 in, if the big players put in £100,000, £500,000, whatever it is, we want it pledged to the company.

“We need a pledge of £2.7m-plus to save Bury. If the company, Bury Football Club, needs the money and needs to use it, they’ll put up shares and pay 2.5 per cent interest on that money.”

I wouldn't give the man a bent brass farthing.

Save your money, Bury fans, and use it to start a phoenix club.

“If they come to us and say we’ll put £100 in, £1,000 in, if the big players put in £100,000, £500,000, whatever it is, we want it pledged to the company.

“We need a pledge of £2.7m-plus to save Bury. If the company, Bury Football Club, needs the money and needs to use it, they’ll put up shares and pay 2.5 per cent interest on that money.”

Yes I've been wondering what I could do with that half million I had lying around.
And now I know, drive over to Bury and hand it to a conman in a clown suit.

It seems strange that he's waited until this late to come up with this idea, it's as though he has waited until the situation gets really desperate so he can make even more money off the club via the fans!

Exactly.
Accrington came back too. Took a long time but they did it eventually.
Newport fans had to watch their team play in all sorts of places and groundshares and enduring Welsh FA throwing them out of Wales. But they kept going and after 25 years regained their league place.
Wimbledon had their club simply robbed off them. But they didn't give up and climbed back all the levels too.
Aldershot have done it.
Hereford and Darlington are still aiming to return but are battling on.
We may well see Stockport back in the league in the next season or so. Also never gave up.
Stockport isn't a phoenix club, they were just relegated four times.