Bury | Page 72 | Vital Football

Bury

There is absolutely no time to do this. Any prospective buyer will need to carry out extensive due diligence, and even Steve Dale called Bury a tangled mess. Does the EFL understand nothing about how business works?
Rhetorical question, Scotimp? The evidence suggests a resounding yes! (As in the EFL know nothing...)

There is absolutely no time to do this. Any prospective buyer will need to carry out extensive due diligence, and even Steve Dale called Bury a tangled mess. Does the EFL understand nothing about how business works?

All the evidence suggests that the EFL will not close the door on Bury while Mr Dale claims there is the prospect of buying him out. A little detail like having set a final deadline won't bother them in the slightest.
And while Bury are still breathing Bolton won't be threatened either.

All the evidence suggests that the EFL will not close the door on Bury while Mr Dale claims there is the prospect of buying him out. A little detail like having set a final deadline won't bother them in the slightest.
And while Bury are still breathing Bolton won't be threatened either.
Which would prove that the EFL are the only ones in the world who don't realise that Dale is a shyster who will bs for England but ultimately is looking to asset-strip, he wants to draw this out as long as possible. Sad to say for Bury's supporters and remaining players but it needs to be ended tomorrow.

I think that if there's a genuine chance that Bury can be sold in the next 48 hours, or even within the next 7 days, the EFL should grant them an extension. This whole mess is the EFL's fault and they need to do all they can to fix it. Yes, it will negatively impact on other clubs including ourselves, but in my opinion, saving Bury and Bolton is for the greater good. A club belongs to the fans and community, it shouldn't be destroyed because an owner with delusions of grandeur, or who is happy to gamble what's not theirs, or who's basically a shyster has been allowed to buy it.

Both teams have gained advantages from not playing by the rules and by over spending. The EFL should've penalised them for that, and they should be dealing with all the other clubs who are doing it now. Lessons need to be learnt and actions need to be taken as a result of all this. But at the end of the day, the fans should not lose their clubs due to the inadequacy of the EFL, who are meant to protect both them and the game.

I think that if there's a genuine chance that Bury can be sold in the next 48 hours, or even within the next 7 days, the EFL should grant them an extension. This whole mess is the EFL's fault and they need to do all they can to fix it. Yes, it will negatively impact on other clubs including ourselves, but in my opinion, saving Bury and Bolton is for the greater good. A club belongs to the fans and community, it shouldn't be destroyed because an owner with delusions of grandeur, or who is happy to gamble what's not theirs, or who's basically a shyster has been allowed to buy it.

Both teams have gained advantages from not playing by the rules and by over spending. The EFL should've penalised them for that, and they should be dealing with all the other clubs who are doing it now. Lessons need to be learnt and actions need to be taken as a result of all this. But at the end of the day, the fans should not lose their clubs due to the inadequacy of the EFL, who are meant to protect both them and the game.

Agree with the sentiment, but neither club has suddenly found themselves in this position. Bury are in administration for the third time, and have been moving from dodgy owner to dodgy owner. It had to reach this point at some time. Unfortunately, the EFL has shown themselves weak and didn’t enforce the rules. Without rules where’s the point of the competition? The fans have had a couple of decades to take the club in to community ownership. Enough is enough. As for Bolton, any club that gets £200m+ in debt, has the good fortune of having that debt wiped, gets themselves in to millions of pounds of debt again, and plays roughshot over the rules of multiple competitions, with total disrespect to their competitors, should be expelled. End of. No sympathy in either case from me, not now.

The inadequacies are in the 1st instance with Bolton and Bury, the fans will not be losing their club because of the EFL but because they have been extremely poorly run. The EFL are bending over backwards to give them any help they can by not punishing them for failing to fulfill fixtures and in the case of Bolton now which fixtures they want to play to the detriment of every other club in the division.

I dont look forward to the next club in this position, the EFL could use these two as a 'test' case. Next time they may not be so inept and just kick the next failures out!

l did, not any more. Their fans are using terms like our rightful place and with our history, along with them expecting debtors to write off all debt so they can survive. 5 fans at the doors at Bury yesterday 1 chained to a plastic drainpipe another committing criminal damage trying to kick the doors in. I know they are not representative of the average Bury fan, but where were the average Bury fans?
It’s the silent majority I’m thinking of. Like this forum 50 posters out of 8,000 fans. You can’t really influence who owns you!

On the local news tonight seems a credible buyer is in talks . No names, no info. Delaying tactics or maybe a buyer . Who knows

From the Beeb site,

"Earlier this week, Dale turned down a fresh offer to buy the club,understood to be from former Port Vale owner Norman Smurthwaite."

Turning down an offer from Smurthwaite must have been like looking in the mirror and finding a gargoyle staring back at your soul.

A lot of this untangling should have been done as part of the CVA, so it may not be as long a process as usual.

From the Beeb site,

"Earlier this week, Dale turned down a fresh offer to buy the club,understood to be from former Port Vale owner Norman Smurthwaite."

Turning down an offer from Smurthwaite must have been like looking in the mirror and finding a gargoyle staring back at your soul.

This is the problem.- there's no queue of peoole waiting to take over lower league clubs. Smurth? Jesus wept. Out of the frying pan. But if there's no alternative then the EFL will have to back him or Bury die.

EFL have already said, yeah how about another 24 hrs or maybe 48, or whatever you fancy, but probably not another 3 weeks or so but see how it goes, eh ?

Utterly feeble. If the rules are really so vague, then maybe us having two international call ups could be enough to postpone our game in international week. We may as well ask or maybe not even bother asking, just say we're not playing.

Last edited:
I totally understand why so many people are saying kick them out now, get rid, let them go bust, they have had way too long etc all of these things.

However all I know is that if it was our club in this mess I would want it to be given every single last chance to survive because I know how passionate we are and how much our club means to us.

Just think about that for a moment.

The CEO of the EFL was interviewed on the Today programme this morning. Apparently the due diligence on Dale met their regulations - so obviously those regulations are not fit for purpose.

She said tonight is an absolute deadline, but maybe some wiggle room!

Maybe brinkmanship from Dale?

It's on BBC Sounds at 1hr 23mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007rsy

This deadline is a bit like the transfer one in the sense that it doesn't matter when said deadline is, there's always a scramble.

We could've done all of this before the season kicked off.