Bury | Page 5 | Vital Football

Bury

If clubs want to offer massive wages for a few players, they have to realise that to stay under a cap they need players on a lesser contract? This is how American sports work and how the NFL is managed.

This is also how Spanish football has been organised in the last few years.

It didn't actually stop the 2nd Division team Reus from not paying their players from September, but in this case the League simply kicked them out at the turn of the year. None of this dock a few points nonsense.

I've just corrected your post the FA PL doesn't give a rats arse about the smaller clubs going out of existence and we have had a few I give you Aldershot, Chester, Newport County etc.

It will take something like Bolton Wanderers going under for the footballing authorities to act! Do you think they give a fig what happens to the smaller League 1 and 2 clubs because I don't! All they will do is give it lip service!
I doubt it. Portsmouth, Southampton and Leicester are similar to Bolton I would suggest in those terms but they did nothing.

Leeds a very big club and they didn't learn. they will only worry if one of their big6 goes into trouble.

CEO Karl Evans has left Bury tonight after being advised to stay away from the game at Carlisle.

In a heartfelt - but unfortunately ungrammatical - tweet, he confirmed his departure with the emotional statement, 'All - I love this football club with all my heat."

Feel sorry for the genuine Bury fans but after experiencing Bury away this season, my sympathy is significantly tempered.

I am not even sure it is a result of poor business management- if we get promoted (with a wage bill which will likely exceed £5m) and start to struggle, we may find ourselves in a similar position to Bury.

Bury appeared to be investing in a quick return to L1 and this looks like it may fail. They can't afford another season in L2 with the current squad.

I've just corrected your post the FA PL doesn't give a rats arse about the smaller clubs going out of existence and we have had a few I give you Aldershot, Chester, Newport County etc.

It will take something like Bolton Wanderers going under for the footballing authorities to act! Do you think they give a fig what happens to the smaller League 1 and 2 clubs because I don't! All they will do is give it lip service!
They missed the boat with Portsmouth. They should have been the example. Recent FA cup winners, based on ridiculous and unsustainable spend. They should have been sent to the wall as a future warning to all.
Sadly, football doesn't have the knackers to do it. Old boys club, pay our mates off first when the shit strikes etc etc. and stuff anyone else that affected.

Bury appeared to be investing in a quick return to L1 and this looks like it may fail. They can't afford another season in L2 with the current squad.
Luckily, it sounds like most of their high earners are out of contract this summer, although one of those includes Mayor, I think, who's probably one of their most saleable assets.

Problem is they never learn and it's simply not a one off at Bury, they keep on living far beyond their means in an attempt to get promoted regardless of longterm consequences. They keep on paying ridiculous wages and amounts for players and boardroom decisions that are simply not sustainable with their gates and then the genuine fans are left to pick up the pieces.

Problem is they never learn and it's simply not a one off at Bury, they keep on living far beyond their means in an attempt to get promoted regardless of longterm consequences. They keep on paying ridiculous wages and amounts for players and boardroom decisions that are simply not sustainable with their gates and then the genuine fans are left to pick up the pieces.

And, no doubt, local businesses and creditors.

CEO Karl Evans has left Bury tonight after being advised to stay away from the game at Carlisle.

In a heartfelt - but unfortunately ungrammatical - tweet, he confirmed his departure with the emotional statement, 'All - I love this football club with all my heat."

It's pretty cold up in that there Bury.

Feel sorry for the genuine Bury fans but after experiencing Bury away this season, my sympathy is significantly tempered.

I am not even sure it is a result of poor business management- if we get promoted (with a wage bill which will likely exceed £5m) and start to struggle, we may find ourselves in a similar position to Bury.

You are right, it goes beyond poor business management: it is the natural result of financial recklessness on the part of the Stewart Day regime. Bury's crowds have been small for years regardless of how well they have been doing, and that should have sent out a warning for them to be more prudent. Even when they were promoted from League Two in 2014-15, they only averaged 3,774 which should not inspire any club to get itself into £9m of debt. Their average attendances for their three seasons in League One were 3,751, 3,845 and 3,931. This season it stands at 3,899 despite the promotion push. Those numbers are remarkably consistent and clearly delineate the club's maximum support at a little over 3,000. What those numbers also do is limit how much money should be going into a playing budget.

Let's not fool ourselves - Bury have been cheating by not paying creditors what they owe (Chris Brass, HMRC and others). The new chairman Steve Dale says the financial position is far worse than he thought when he took over in December, although quite how his due diligence process failed to pick that up is another question.

A real shame for the fans, as ever. However, there were fans who questioned what was going on at Bury a couple of years ago and were told to be quiet.

Last edited:

Betting the farm is all very good but the "farm" has to be worth something. Bury have next to nothing - no decent fan base, no rebirth, no momentum, no prize money. They're just doing the same thing again and again hoping for a different outcome.

I just can't see us struggling next season. We've run away with this league. If it's a huge step up, and I really don't think it is, we can look at the Cowley record against teams further up the pyramid - only outclassed once, by a top four premiership team.

Obviously week to week league football is different but Danny and Nicky have proved they've got the minerals to compete as underdogs as well as champions. That's a formidable mix.

Betting the farm is all very good but the "farm" has to be worth something. Bury have next to nothing - no decent fan base, no rebirth, no momentum, no prize money. They're just doing the same thing again and again hoping for a different outcome.

I just can't see us struggling next season. We've run away with this league. If it's a huge step up, and I really don't think it is, we can look at the Cowley record against teams further up the pyramid - only outclassed once, by a top four premiership team.

Obviously week to week league football is different but Danny and Nicky have proved they've got the minerals to compete as underdogs as well as champions. That's a formidable mix.

We just need to look at what Luton have done this season, merely one year after promotion from League Two.

We just need to look at what Luton have done this season, merely one year after promotion from League Two.

Control costs, or they will control you. It's never more true than in football.

Year on year of making losses gives an early enough clue that something is wrong. You either put it right, or you face the medium term consequences. You can accurately budget the income from league activities; sort out the cost of buying and paying the staff against that. Then cup income and player sales become the bonus to be reinvested. We might as well try and follow Luton's example, so long as the process doesn't bust us later on.

Championship football, Impalex. Now you really are talking...

They have also sold the family silver along the way. Gigg Lane mortgaged for £1.6m at a high interest rate, the sports bar at the entrance used as security against another high interest loan, even spaces in the car park have been leased out.

Stewart Day's statement when he left the club in December was an interesting one:

"I feel I have left the club in a stronger position than it was in when I arrived."

What on earth was it like then, if that is true?

Not for the first time they’ve signed players they can’t afford. It’s cheating, pure and simple. Feel sorry for their fans though.

Most clubs in that area having 'premiership ' football up the road will face difficulties.
" now then son, do you want to come and watch Bury with yer Grandpa?""
"Sod that Gramps, I'm off to Maine road!"

We had better watch out tho, as Blunder Park will be heaving next season!!

The fans are not happy with Mr Jolley. Most have now realised that he was telling fibs when he claimed to be a bona fide football manager. The Jolley Revolution died a pathetic death without a whimper, and a long time ago, before being swept quietly under the nearest carpet while no one was looking. They actually have two points fewer than they got last season (and have scored two goals fewer) and current form suggests they may not get the three points needed to show any improvement on 2017-18. The current run of three points from eight games is almost as bad as Russell Slade's record prior to his sacking (three points from ten). With Port Vale, Morecambe and Cambridge in good form, they may also end up finishing lower than last season's 18th. All good stuff.

Most clubs in that area having 'premiership ' football up the road will face difficulties.
" now then son, do you want to come and watch Bury with yer Grandpa?""
"Sod that Gramps, I'm off to Maine road!"

Makes me heave just approaching the place.