Bury | Page 4 | Vital Football

Bury

Fair play to the players if this is true.
A lot of times professional footballers are characterised as money grabbing mercenaries but this, if true, reminds us all that this is not always the case.
For the Bury's players to carry on working knowing they will not be paid, and all the worries that this brings, is very commendable...the kind of minerals, dare I say, that DC puts so much emphasis upon when signing our players.
I know this sounds a bit mercenary but even if the players aren't being paid, as long as they're on the field they are in the shop window for next season, if Bury go under.

presumably forking out for high player wages is part of the reason why bury are in the sh*t financially...

Tbh it's generally the only reason football clubs get into financial trouble. Very occasionally it's a new stand or stadium but in the main it's paying players and agents more than the club can afford.

With so many lower league clubs hitting financial problems at the moment, players wages are going to have to come down. They are getting paid too much if so many clubs can't afford it. Certainly average wages will come down.
The players and the agents need to realise when they are entering into a contract, "Can this club honestly pay all that?". If the club goes bust we wont get paid. League clubs are going to start going bust soon. They will also be turning to supporters to save their clubs.
Why should supporters be psychologically persuaded through love of their club to scrape together their hard earned money, to pay off 20 rich mercenaries. Something which happened at Lincoln City in 2002, when the club turned to supporters to bail out the club. I remember us all paying a fiver to have a name on a seat, and school kids raising money through sponsored walks etc. It stinks.
The size of debts the latest clubs in trouble have, is frightening and another warning we need to be careful going forwards.

With so many lower league clubs hitting financial problems at the moment, players wages are going to have to come down. They are getting paid too much if so many clubs can't afford it. Certainly average wages will come down.
The players and the agents need to realise when they are entering into a contract, "Can this club honestly pay all that?". If the club goes bust we wont get paid. League clubs are going to start going bust soon. They will also be turning to supporters to save their clubs.
Why should supporters be psychologically persuaded through love of their club to scrape together their hard earned money, to pay off 20 rich mercenaries. Something which happened at Lincoln City in 2002, when the club turned to supporters to bail out the club. I remember us all paying a fiver to have a name on a seat, and school kids raising money through sponsored walks etc. It stinks.
The size of debts the latest clubs in trouble have, is frightening and another warning we need to be careful going forwards.
I agree but I would add this is only half of the problem. Ultimately it is up to the people running the FA and EFL (you can forget the greedy self serving pigs at the Prem.) to put in place cast iron financial fair play and enforce it with an iron fist having first given clubs a period of grace - let's say 3 to 5 years to honour current financial contracts and commitments.

Wharton was subbed at half time and another of their defenders went off after 31 minutes.
According Dunk Bury and Macc are both going to go bust any day now....

Wharton was subbed at half time and another of their defenders went off after 31 minutes.
According Dunk Bury and Macc are both going to go bust any day now....
Dunk? - someone who's opinion should be listened to or perhaps the Cambridge player or even a reference to the never cheerful former "voice of Echo sport"?

I'm sure it's not as simple as this, but why are clubs not under a stricter salary cap?

If we know that all clubs in league 2 get exactly the same EFL Basic Award and exactly the same Premier League EFL Solidarity Payment, the only variable involved is income from match tickets based on average attendance.

To use us as an example, and I'm not in any way privy to our LCFC accounts, but if our published income via matchday ticket sales (inc. Season Tickets) is £2.2m (source: annual report), and we know we get about £1m in EFL payments. Surely our salary cap should be a fixed percentage of the total? And therefore so should everyone else's.

If clubs want to offer massive wages for a few players, they have to realise that to stay under a cap they need players on a lesser contract? This is how American sports work and how the NFL is managed. But in their case it's the same amount for every team. The only difference is that the players salaries and contract are normally published and the the NFL put strict fines and penalties on those that go over their cap.

Perhaps this is the way to control salary inflation in football?

Football is too often paid for by sugar daddy rich owners, yet sustainability is always brought into question re Notts County, Bury, Macc, Mansfield and a host of others that are spending beyond their means and gambling a club's existence on promotion.

Sorry, rant over.

I think it will take a few clubs actually going bust before anything is done. The problem is, they go in to administration, wipe the debts at 1p in the pound, find some new local Billy Big Balls business man who wants to own a football club to boost his pitifully low self-esteem and then repeat it all again. And again. And again... ad nauseum.

Is this the same Dunk who does a very passable impression of a Dementor when you are talking to him?
Yep the voice of the fans in the echo from back in the day, I work in the same department as him at the hospital, lucky me....
He doesn't half talk some utter s***

Dunk? - someone who's opinion should be listened to or perhaps the Cambridge player or even a reference to the never cheerful former "voice of Echo sport"?
The voice of echo sport, who's still in a grump with the club cos he had to queue for 6 hours for his Arsenal tickets and didn't like where the club was going after that, priceless!

I think it will take a bigger club actually going bust before anything is done. The problem is, they go in to administration, wipe the debts at 1p in the pound, find some new local Billy Big Balls business man who wants to own a football club to boost his pitifully low self-esteem and then repeat it all again. And again. And again... ad nauseum.

I've just corrected your post the FA PL doesn't give a rats arse about the smaller clubs going out of existence and we have had a few I give you Aldershot, Chester, Newport County etc.

It will take something like Bolton Wanderers going under for the footballing authorities to act! Do you think they give a fig what happens to the smaller League 1 and 2 clubs because I don't! All they will do is give it lip service!