Budget | Page 4 | Vital Football

Budget

Very good point, we had no club sponsor last year (at least not one that paid) and I haven't seen any figures on what MEMS are paying. I know nothing about this sort of thing but could it possibly be the sort if amount that could fund the extra we are allegedly paying in wages compared to last season?????
If so, I fail to see a problem
Just looked at the MEMS website and they claim to be one of the country's largest generator rental companies, which I have no reason to doubt but I do find it odd that such a company would want to sponsor a football club. They are not consumer products and GFC doesn't get that much in the way of national TV coverage. In the last published accounts for GFC - year to May 2018 - sponsorship is not shown as a separate item but, if it's under captions such as Commercial Income, it could be a few hundred thousand pounds or more. not to be sniffed at.

It doesn’t matter whatever Evans does he will never win if you don’t like him , Chris will be on his back full stop, I know I’m new but have been reading this board for quite a while and before I joined I knew who the problem child was.
Many baulked at the idea of Evans joining - his record/the departure of SL. That said, his PR has been good but, more important and for better or worse, he's our manager and we have to get behind him and the team.

Just looked at the MEMS website and they claim to be one of the country's largest generator rental companies, which I have no reason to doubt but I do find it odd that such a company would want to sponsor a football club. They are not consumer products and GFC doesn't get that much in the way of national TV coverage. In the last published accounts for GFC - year to May 2018 - sponsorship is not shown as a separate item but, if it's under captions such as Commercial Income, it could be a few hundred thousand pounds or more. not to be sniffed at.

I've thought that (re not consumer products), and fair play to Colin for doing it as I don't imagine he gets much return on it.

If my business partner let me get away with it I would love one of my businesses to be a shirt sponsor (vanity)- but alas it wouldn't generate any brand recognition for us, nor help drive revenue etc.

I don't blame Evans he is going to do what he has always done.For me it is a bit like a manager bringing in a poor or unfit player .It is normally not the players fault he is rubbish.Scally has made his bed for better or worse simple as that.As for Evans well I doubt he will be that much different to what he has been at other clubs.If Scally has enough in the budget it may even bring short term success. But if Scally breaks the bank to give Evans what he wants.We will suffer for it in the longer term.If he doesn't I doubt Evans will hang around that long.So as with a lot of football the long term is being sacrificed for the possible short term benefits in my view.

Time on my hands, countdown to big KO, Kettner's post resonating. We have signed and lost one player already. Surely we couldn't lose another?

What will poor old Chriswho do when we are top at Xmas.?
We are going up as................
I've just made him my first ignored poster of the new season. Just tedious with his rants. Hope he does the same to me as I don't want any interaction.

Everyone keeps saying its the same numbers as last year. I find it hard to believe but I am prepared to believe it.

Evans does say that in virtually every interview, even when out of context, that the budget is the same as last season and he will not be getting a penny more than Lovell had to spend.

In the pre-match Burton interview (on iFollow) that ChrisWho is referring to, he says that as an away manager coming to Priestfield you always think you have a chance as Gills have a bottom 6 budget, possibly even bottom 4/5. It seemed like a slightly strange point to make in this context, and possibly signifies frustration at the constraints he's working to.

He's also being paid the same as Lovell was, and Scally said that Evans' payoff from Peterborough is more than he will earn with us.

I think with the ruthless exclusion of Rees and Stevenson and Oldaker now being told he won't play for us again, plus of course Reilly and Parrett being moved on as Evans didn't think they'd fit into his plans, Evans is simply trying to generate more budget to spend on the players he wants.

Evans does say that in virtually every interview, even when out of context, that the budget is the same as last season and he will not be getting a penny more than Lovell had to spend.

In the pre-match Burton interview (on iFollow) that ChrisWho is referring to, he says that as an away manager coming to Priestfield you always think you have a chance as Gills have a bottom 6 budget, possibly even bottom 4/5. It seemed like a slightly strange point to make in this context, and possibly signifies frustration at the constraints he's working to.

He's also being paid the same as Lovell was, and Scally said that Evans' payoff from Peterborough is more than he will earn with us.

I think with the ruthless exclusion of Rees and Stevenson and Oldaker now being told he won't play for us again, plus of course Reilly and Parrett being moved on as Evans didn't think they'd fit into his plans, Evans is simply trying to generate more budget to spend on the players he wants.

Pretty much all of that rings true Lark. And it’s similar in a way to what Chris/Kettners are saying, but put in possibly the right context and reasons.

It’s obvious Steve Evans wants his own team. Every manager does. Wasn’t the line often said about SL, “it’s not his team, let us judge him next season when he has his own players”. Well, SE is trying to get in his own players. After all it’s his job on the line if they fail.

If there are players that were here previously that don’t fit his plans then surely it’s in everyone’s best interests (players included) that they move on and get playing. Why sit in our extended squad doing nothing? Free up a wage for someone who will be part of the plans.

We have possibly suffered because of this for many years. Internal manager appointments that don’t move on existing players even if they then don’t play much. Very hard to tell your mates and colleagues they aren’t required.

As for the budget. I reckon we are in the bottom 1/3 of budgets for this div. Over the years that question has been posed on numerous forums. And different sources (papers, websites etc) come up with various calculations that always put us around that mark. Not quite the worst, but never too much better than that. Makes perfect sense to me given the club size and attendances. Maybe increasing our crowds a little will provide extra budget?

And I still fail to see why we aren’t similar budget to last season. What players do we currently have on our books that you’d say “wow! We must be paying him a motza!”.

I can only think that Bonham is on ok wages because he chose us over Brizzle, and maybe O’Keefe and Matty Willock might be on a bit more. But Christ even he is an untried U23 player. He wasn’t playing in the Prem.

The rest were picked up from Div 1 and 2 clubs and some had no club having been released. Plus 3 loanees. Can’t see why anyone thinks we are breaking the bank. And we have less players still here than last season. No one said Steve Lovell had too many players.

Btw - there haven’t been any ins/outs announced Ketts. What’s happening? I thought it was all going to become clear.

Roll on Saturday.