Budget | Page 2 | Vital Football

Budget

Chris Who - I used to enjoy your posts in the SL era.

But since SL’s departure, your posts are full of wild, irresponsible speculation and hatred.

I know you don’t agree with SL’s departure and I know you’re not a fan of Scally/Evans - but keep it balanced and factual.

Surely even Scally would not rely on the sale of Dack to balance the books. At the time of ITV Digital, club directors were warned not to overspend on the back of something not tried and tested - it could have caused them to fall foul of statutory regulations concerning the conduct of directors. The same could apply in that case.
Scally was depending on the sale to fully satisfy what Evans wanted.Clearly Evans wants more funds.Scally has already said it is a top budget.

The day Scally appointed Evans there was no way he was going to satisfy the budget needs.Without a big money sale or a investor he has not had those. Look at where Evans has got his players.Man United,Watford ,Southampton and so on.While Lovell and Pennock were lucky to be able to bring in players from clubs at the same level or lower.Believe what you want Scally's gamble in affect he depended on drawing a Ace out of the pack.I have never doubted Evans ability.I don't like him.Scally meanwhile has dug himself a hole which I said he would on day one. You can only spend what you have .Scally will not spend his own cash.And I very much doubt that the crowd will suddenly rise by 15% plus. Let alone 30% to pay for extra spending and stay within the fair play rules.

503B9114-7692-4A61-80AE-B35CAC6A8E86.gif

Scally has always consistently said that the budget was as good as almost anyone in League 1. Steve Evans in his pre-burton interview, said that our budget is in the bottom four in the division. Seems as if someone is telling porkies

Hi Vinney - has Scally ever said that our budget is as good as almost anyone in League 1? That would be a ridiculous thing to say.

I always thought he said it was competitive.

No offence, Chris, but you do have a tendency to go off on one based purely on your own hypotheses, without any idea of how true they are. "Probably", "almost certainly", "my guess is", it's all just guesswork, but ultimately you've got no more idea than anyone else how much we've got to spend, and how close we are to having spent it.

As for the number of players in/out - our midfield was poor last season, everyone could see it. It needed overhauling. Evans has overhauled it. Whether the players he's brought in turn out to be better than the ones we already had remains to be seen, but Evans is doing something everyone agreed needed doing. Our defence was the 5th worst in the division last season based on goals conceded. A few changes there to try to strengthen doesn't seem unreasonable.

Holy and Eaves left of their own accord, nothing Evans could do about that, so they needed replacing too. But apart from them, are there really any others of the players that have left that people would have wanted to keep? The players worth keeping are still here - Ehmer, Fuller, Ogilvie, Charles Cook, Hanlan, List. Zakuani too, although it remains to be seen whether he'll be considered a regular starter. Byrne was OK last season, although I suspect there are better options available, but he'll be a handy player to have as backup.

I'm no fan of Evans, and what he's doing here might be the same as what he's done at other clubs with varying levels of success, but I do think it needed to be done here.
A lot of the players left were the higher earners .Evans is willing to lose all the low earners like Rees.You can't seriously think the players going out are on the same wages as the ones he has brought in?

Scally was depending on the sale to fully satisfy what Evans wanted.Clearly Evans wants more funds.Scally has already said it is a top budget.

You should try rewriting your posts. Here’s my suggestion for your last post:

It’s purely my speculation, but I think Scally might have been depending on the sale to fully satisfy what Evans wanted. Like every manager in the football league, I think Evans would like more funds. I don’t think that Scally will be able to find additional funds within the 2019-20 budget.

A lot of the players left were the higher earners .Evans is willing to lose all the low earners like Rees.You can't seriously think the players going out are on the same wages as the ones he has brought in?

How do you know that they were higher earners? Speculation.

No idea, Chris. The loan players, who knows what the deal is. What kind of contribution are we making to their wages? It's in the interests of their parent clubs to get them out and playing football, I wouldn't necessarily assume we're paying high wages just because we're getting them from a Premier League club. Of the permanent signings, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd imagine we might have had to offer Willock a decent deal. I see no real reason to assume the likes of Mandron, O'Keefe or Cisse, for example, would be on any more than Eaves, Reilly or Parrett (that's not to say they aren't earning more, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a foregone conclusion).

Chris, you are really starting to show a lot of hatred towards Evans and Scally. And it’s manifesting itself in completely wild speculation made up purely to fit your narrative.

Like others I’m trying to see what this “mess” is that you think we are in? We have what looks on paper a really competitive team. It has started with a decent pre-season and a good first up result. And that’s despite us currently having less numbers than we had last season.

It will only be a mess if we don’t win games. A bit like the mess last season under SL, and the previous messes under Patto.

And I’m struggling to think what players SE has brought in that would be breaking the bank. I’ve asked Kettners but he hasn’t replied.

Scally has/is backing him, what don’t you understand here?
Evans is after more players, he’s said the budget is there for them and that he’s lucky enough to be in the position where we don’t have to move anyone on to get them in.
And that total bollocks as well - just wait for the news to come out in the next few days
Have a look who’s not in the squad for tomorrow’s game

Evans has said our budget is bottom 6 and I'd have guessed something like that. But Evans has never done a bottom 6 budget and he likes to bring his own players in and to keep bringing them in. Scally knew this frrom the off but he's got someone as fly and ruthless as himself to deal with. We have mostly bought into this gamble but it needs to start paying dividends asap. If not most of us will claim we always knew it would end badly.

Dack? Surely we all believed he would be on his way for a tasty fee; it looked a good bet. Surely too Evans and Scally thought the same. I'm still optimistic but we are still playing Gillingham odds, which means outside bets and romantic belief.

Dack? Surely we all believed he would be on his way for a tasty fee; it looked a good bet. Surely too Evans and Scally thought the same. I'm still optimistic but we are still playing Gillingham odds, which means outside bets and romantic belief.
Yes thinking that is one thing but spending money on players from income that is uncertain is another and is irresponsible.

PS idea of competitive and SE idea of competitive I would guess are miles apart. PS has stated numerous times that our season budget always includes a 500k transfer income, so without that ( and who knows what we have surplus from previous deals) you'd think that we're either borrowing money from elsewhere to cover that missing 500k every season and hope that a Dack type transfer comes off to cover it or its coming from somewhere else.

As for this season SE said at the fans forum that he wanted all of his signings done by the time the players returned for pre season training (ambitious) , with toppling up the squad with maybe a couple of loans if we needed to near deadline day (i think they were his words) but that hasn't happened and we're still apparently waiting for 3 or 4 to come in with room still within the budget. Whatever the reason is for not getting the players in, other clubs, players, agents, PS, I don't think SE is the type of manager to be patient.

I find it really had to believe -if you compare last season's squad to this season's squad- that our budget is the same. If it genuinely is and we'll only really know when the accounts are published in 3 years time, then there was some serious money mis-spent last season.

I don't think our back four was that bad last season, it was just overworked and exposed, by both the midfield system we used and the ability limited players we had playing in it.

Don't think SE is doing anything different here that he has done at most clubs he's been at TBH. Whether it works or not is another matter.

Last edited:
That's what I like about Evan's hes not a yes man tells it as it is.. it dont look like were getting anymore in before sat then . Although I think we got enough hopefully I'm really looking forward to tomorrow

Yes thinking that is one thing but spending money on players from income that is uncertain is another and is irresponsible.
Jet wages were paid the the following season Scally said that in front of a room full of people.That is a example of how Scally is willing to gamble when it suits him.Net result is Pennock had a tiny budget.

It will only be a mess if we don’t win games. A bit like the mess last season under SL, and the previous messes under Patto.
Patto never lost a match as manager so I am not sure how a 100% win record can be called a mess.Unless leaving without a statement to fans is somehow his fault.Like he was guilty of something.I can't see how he could be blamed for anything.Steve Lovell did the job he was asked to do which was keep us in league one.

Last edited: