Bottle Throwing | Page 4 | Vital Football

Bottle Throwing

Impartiality - 7/3/2018 18:24
They will look ridiculous if they change the rules of the competition and ban him from the Checkatrade.

It was stated above that there is an exception part in the "rules" on this so they wouldn't look ridiculous at all.

They would use that exception and state it was because of the "seriousness of the offence."

GreenNeedle - 7/3/2018 18:42

Impartiality - 7/3/2018 18:24
They will look ridiculous if they change the rules of the competition and ban him from the Checkatrade.

It was stated above that there is an exception part in the "rules" on this so they wouldn't look ridiculous at all.

They would use that exception and state it was because of the "seriousness of the offence."

Then they appear to be incorrect. The rules of the Checkatrade state differently and without an added caveat, Rule 12.
https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/

collingham imps - 7/3/2018 17:39

Heard some crap on this board at times but posts suggesting that it was some terrible misdemeanor and that Waterfall should be held out to dry and banned take the biscuit in my book.

It is classed as violent conduct. He was sent off. He should not have done it. It wasn't a 50/50 ball it was a deliberate act. He deserves his ban.

Hopefully it will only be for three matches.

If it was a Mansfield player doing that to our fans, in your direction, I imagine you wouldn't have called it "crap" in asking him to be banned.

plumbob - 6/3/2018 19:26

Don't know if anyone else noticed a bottle land on top of the Stags net shortly after. Clearly thrown by someone in our stand.
Anyone considering shopping them?
I'd advise whoever threw it, please don't drop to the same gutter level. It's not big or funny.

Notts player reported a coin to the ref at their place Ref put in a report , fan threw the ball at a player during a home game so we have to be careful refs are like parking tickets inspectors now.

Totally out of character for Luke just a split second wrong decision he knows ,we know it was wrong but some of the criticism way ott.

Notts player reported a coin to the ref at their place Ref put in a report , fan threw the ball at a player during a home game so we have to be careful refs are like parking tickets inspectors now."

We don't "have to be careful" we just have to behave like decent human beings even within the charged atmosphere of a football ground...

Sincilbanks - 7/3/2018 19:26

Notts player reported a coin to the ref at their place Ref put in a report , fan threw the ball at a player during a home game so we have to be careful refs are like parking tickets inspectors now."

We don't "have to be careful" we just have to behave like decent human beings even within the charged atmosphere of a football ground...

Spot on, and if a player does something out of character he deserves his criticism, and his punishment.

Impartiality - 7/3/2018 18:54
Then they appear to be incorrect. The rules of the Checkatrade state differently and without an added caveat, Rule 12.
https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/

"New disciplinary rules for the revamped cup competition mean that cautions and sending-offs are exclusive to the tournament and in normal circumstances won’t affect other EFL or Premier League fixtures. "

That is a caveat there. If Waterfall gets an extended ban they may consider that not to be "normal circumstances"

GreenNeedle - 7/3/2018 19:47

Impartiality - 7/3/2018 18:54

"New disciplinary rules for the revamped cup competition mean that cautions and sending-offs are exclusive to the tournament and in normal circumstances won’t affect other EFL or Premier League fixtures. "

That is a caveat there. If Waterfall gets an extended ban they may consider that not to be "normal circumstances"

Have you got a link to this GN? I have just gone through the checkatrade rules again and can not find it. I am tired so have possibly missed it.

Waterfall is magic, he wears a magic hat, and if you throw a coke at him he’ll lob the fecker back :wooo:

More seriously I don’t think it’s a massive deal in the grand scheme of things and totally agree with MR96. Remember when Anthony Elding was getting loads of stick when we were away at Grimsby and he got his bum out, some of our fans then went on a crusade (won’t someone please think of the children) about how he should be banned etc. as if a couple of hundred people hadn’t been calling him a massive ****.

Pretty sure waterfall hasn’t lobbed the bottle and levelled a bunch of stags has he? Bit of perspective, don’t do it again, take the short ban and move on.

There is a real and proper precedent for this. On October 28th 2003 Alan Smith did the same whilst playing for Leeds vs Man Utd in Carling Cup and threw a Lucozade bottle back into the crowd. The only difference was that the referee didn't see it at the time and so took no action.

What was interesting was that it appeared to take 2 months for the FA to take any action as it seems there was an ongoing police investigation which will always take precedence. Eventually in early January he was (like Carragher) given a three game ban.

Just google 'Alan Smith bottle thrown' and there's plenty that comes up about it.

I did see it and I won't defend it...... Luke will have to take whatever punishment is given to him; although there are two clear precedents there for a three game ban.

I imagine the silence that surrounds this is because it will initially being viewed (as Smith and Carragher) as a criminal matter and relevant legal soundings will be being taken, although I do expect a lengthy, sincere and well written apology to be issued by the Club on behalf of Luke in the very near future.

My question is whether or not his FA punishment will be deferred/suspended whilst any possible police investigation takes place?

Sincilbanks - 6/3/2018 20:26

No they really are but the point remains don't throw things as the club will be fined.

Impartiality - 7/3/2018 20:12

Have you got a link to this GN? I have just gone through the checkatrade rules again and can not find it. I am tired so have possibly missed it.

Nope, I am quoting from earlier in the thread.

EDIT: I copied that exact phrase into google and it comes up with this page:
https://www.efl.com/news/2016/august/checkatrade-trophy-new-disciplinary-rules-in-place/

Luke was caught up in the moment , he/we know he should’nt have done it but think we’ve all been guilty of doing/saying something in the heat of the moment we regret , what i will say is he’s the nicest fella you could wish to meet having met him a few times stood outside ground with my kids nothings too much trouble wheather it’s a photo or autograph always finds time for a chat , i dont condone his actions but still magic in my kids eyes .

Unfortunately a lot happens in 'heat of the moment' exchanges, and there is a whole debate that could be had on this. I can understand things kicking-off in the heat of a sporting match when things happen in a split second, but in most cases players have the sense to cool down, or be cooled down by others. I will never condone anything where someone has a second or two to think what they are doing and ends up in a stupid escalation of events.

Imagine the Co Op Stand's reaction if Palmer had raced all the way across the pitch to slide in front of them. Uproar!

Pity he didn't just celebrate with his own fans behind the goal he'd just scored at... Either way Watetfall was silly and deserves what he gets.

"No they really are but the point remains don't throw things as the club will be fined."

Or y'know alternatively, don't throw things because you could seriously injure someone...

The FA website shows a 3-game ban for Waterfall, although that may just be the automatic sanction. No news yet of an additional FA charge, so perhaps he has got away with just the standard ban.