Bottle Throwing | Vital Football

Bottle Throwing

79imp

First off, I haven't seen the full incident properly... I was watching on iFollow and perhaps like many, have seen the 2 minute highlights where you can see the bottle coming down and Waterfall starting to react.

However, if true and Waterfall has thrown it back 'aggressively', he has to go. We'd be screaming 'red card' if it was the other way round, and quite simply, allowing footballers to get away with this will only lead to problems for the whole game.

However, whilst I've heard plenty said about Waterfall, there's been nothing about the idiot who threw the bottle. Where is Mansfield's statement saying they are reviewing CCTV etc., or at the very least giving a condemnation of the actions of a member of their support? The FA will stick their ore in as usual and fine/suspend Waterfall, but I do wonder if they will be contacting Mansfield Town for their response to the situation and their failure to ensure safety to the players?

Surely, this should be considered a very serious issue? If the bottle had injured one of our lads, or a coin (or worse) had been thrown, where would we be on the debate? We simply cannot have a situation where projectiles are thrown from the crowd, yet in my view, this is something that seems to be creeping in and 'accepted' more and more these days. At Sincil Bank, I've seen numerous cases in the last couple of years where balls have been thrown back to opposing players aggressively, yet nothing seems to be said or done against this. Worse still, it seems to get a laugh more than any kind of condemnation. It's not funny... it's disrespectful, aggressive behaviour and it needs stamping out.

Footballers, whatever their faults, are human beings, and I don't think there is another job in the world where someone would tolerate bottles, coins, food etc. being thrown at them, and not react in some form or another. Therefore, why are we expecting them to behave like a statue when faced with this kind of behaviour? Luke Waterfall is a good, honest pro who has fought hard to get a regular place in the side this year, not to mention fight like hell as captain of the club to get us back in the EFL in the first place. Now he gets a 3-game ban at a crucial stage of the season because he's reacted to an idiot throwing projectiles at him. This doesn't sit right with me, and I dare it doesn't with the overwhelming majority of fair-minded football fans.

Like I said at the beginning of this, I don't have any great beef about the red card, but if that doesn't go along with a full condemnation and investigation from the FA and Mansfield Town, then something is seriously wrong.

I await developments with interest.

It will clearly be in the referees report and then the FA will look at it, if as it will most certainly be included in the referees report Mansfield will be fined at the very least I would imagine.

Given that the camera were clearly showing that area as the players scored the police will look to identify the culprit. I believe a earlier in the season a Sunderland fan was arrested after being identified on CCTV some days after the Middlesbrough match and was subsequently banned for life by the club.

Not seen what happened...
Did Luke throw it AT the idiot who had thrown it at him? Or did he throw it AT the Mansfield fans in general. Or did he simply throw it to the side of the pitch to get it out of the way??

Answer may affect if he gets less than 3 games or possibly MORE than 3 games.
Hopefully any ban will get used up by remaining March fixtures...

Is Raggett allowed to return on loan???
How near to fitness is Wilson?
Otherwise we now only have Bostwick with Wharton.

buckielugger - 7/3/2018 11:18

Did Luke throw it AT the idiot who had thrown it at him? Or did he throw it AT the Mansfield fans in general. Or did he simply throw it to the side of the pitch to get it out of the way??

From what I saw, the bottle was a few feet from him having been thrown on to the pitch whilst Lincoln were celebrating near their fans. Waterfall walked over to it, picked it up and hurled it into the top section of the stand. Stupid thing to do and I think he will probably be handed a 4 or 5 match ban

imptastic - 7/3/2018 11:36

buckielugger - 7/3/2018 11:18

From what I saw, the bottle was a few feet from him having been thrown on to the pitch whilst Lincoln were celebrating near their fans. Waterfall walked over to it, picked it up and hurled it into the top section of the stand. Stupid thing to do and I think he will probably be handed a 4 or 5 match ban

Highlights show it missed Olly and Luke by not very much at all. Luke seems to instinctively stick a leg out to try and deflect it after it's passed him you can see it here just below his outstretched boot.

Attachments

• MansfieldWaterfall.jpg
    MansfieldWaterfall.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
The lesson to learn is don’t celebrate in front of opposing fans. We don’t like it when they do it to us so don’t invite trouble when we score. Think back to how the Coventry players nearly caused it to kick off at Sincil Bank.

"The lesson to learn is don’t celebrate in front of opposing fans. We don’t like it when they do it to us so don’t invite trouble when we score. Think back to how the Coventry players nearly caused it to kick off at Sincil Bank."

I'd argue the lesson is that fans need to grow up and take this kind of behaviour on the chin. If you want to dish it out for the entirety of the time a player is on the pitch then you should be adult enough to smile and say "fair play" when they get a chance to make a point in return..

But hey, that's just me..

GrotierBranfootLeigh - 7/3/2018 11:51

The lesson to learn is don’t celebrate in front of opposing fans. We don’t like it when they do it to us so don’t invite trouble when we score. Think back to how the Coventry players nearly caused it to kick off at Sincil Bank.

i agree with this. the celebration by palmer was quite drawn out. and there were 1700 imps much closer to where he scored. prefer him to be doing that celebration towards them.

I don't have an issue with Ollie Palmer sticking it to their fans due to the abuse he got/gets every time he plays at the Jeremy Kyle Stadium as Holdsworth once memorably referred to it. That is part and parcel of the give and take between players and opposing fans. I do take issue with the moron hurling a bottle at a player and likewise Luke should not have returned the bottle in the manner that he did. That said he was fired up on the back of a late equaliser after a couple of torrid weeks and it was an instinctive reaction in the heat of the moment and not pre-meditated which is more than can be said for the initial act. Hopefully common sense will prevail and with the mitigating circumstances it will be a three match ban and move on. I will not be condemning Luke for what happened and look forward to welcoming our passionate captain back into the team when the ban is served.

If fans dish it out they have to take the comparatively mild response when celebrating a goal. Fans call players all the names under the sun, they cant go all menstrual when they get a bit back.

This isnt a tribal thing, I said the same after the Coventry game. It was pathetic the way some of our crowd reacted to Cov players celebrating a goal, particularly after the abuse theyd been giving Jones all game (who was by far the best player on the pitch).

nlondonimp - 7/3/2018 12:00

GrotierBranfootLeigh - 7/3/2018 11:51

i agree with this. the celebration by palmer was quite drawn out. and there were 1700 imps much closer to where he scored. prefer him to be doing that celebration towards them.

Agreed

All the ex Mansfield players we have were getting a lot of foul mouthed abuse throughout the game but Palmer especially got plenty when he went on.
They kept having to apologise on the radio as it was so clear and audible.
He shouldn't have thrown it back and given it to an official, stupid boy.

Sincilbanks - 7/3/2018 11:55

"The lesson to learn is don’t celebrate in front of opposing fans. We don’t like it when they do it to us so don’t invite trouble when we score. Think back to how the Coventry players nearly caused it to kick off at Sincil Bank."

I'd argue the lesson is that fans need to grow up and take this kind of behaviour on the chin. If you want to dish it out for the entirety of the time a player is on the pitch then you should be adult enough to smile and say "fair play" when they get a chance to make a point in return..

To an extent I'm with you. Slightly different, but if someone threw something at me in the street, you can bet your life they would be getting it back plus a little more.
As for celebrating in front of the other fans, ditto. They were giving Ollie dogs abuse, so why not make a point?
I'm not religious, but I stand by an eye for an eye!

plumbob - 7/3/2018 12:40

Sincilbanks - 7/3/2018 11:55

To an extent I'm with you. Slightly different, but if someone threw something at me in the street, you can bet your life they would be getting it back plus a little more.
As for celebrating in front of the other fans, ditto. They were giving Ollie dogs abuse, so why not make a point?
I'm not religious, but I stand by an eye for an eye!

Let's hope the FA take the same line.

89spartans_12/03/77 - 7/3/2018 12:43

What did Jamie charagher get for coining those innocent arsenal fans?

3 match ban and a big fine from the Club.

That seemed more serious than what Luke did.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sport/newsid_1787000/1787145.stm