"Bolton get battered" matchday thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

"Bolton get battered" matchday thread

It's gonna be a hard watch. It's bad enough playing keep ball against the lesser teams and creating nothing up front but to do it against a good Bolton side will be suicide. Can only see a heavy defeat im afraid .

We’re weakest when teams press us high. Also when you came to the TS earlier in the season Humphrey’s murdered us by exploiting the space behind our wingbacks and he and Wyke benefitted for it. He was also very physical something we also struggle with. If as you say you stay back I guarantee we’ll do you but if you get in our faces from the off and intimidate us as you have in both your recent visits I think we’ll struggle.

We may have got results recently other than yesterday obviously but we’re way off form and Evatt’s insistence with chopping and changing personnel plus the tippy tappy on what will probably be a bumpy surface after the rugby certainly won't suit us. It’s going to be a tough one, it always is against you boys and if we’re even slightly in the generous mood we were on Saturday we’ll get tonked. Hopefully we won’t be, it’s a cracking match and the team that deserves to win does so. 😉

We are at our best when we press teams high and have that urgency and intensity that we previously showed against you and it's difficult for you to deal with.

Unfortunately we don't do it every game, some games we are so passive and just let teams have all the time and space in the world on the ball and they nearly always punish us. As you say if we do that with you we'll get battered.

We have tender to do the former more against the better sides in the division, so we hope we see that from us tomorrow night, so i'm a bit more optimistic we'll turn up for this one than i was against the likes of Cheltenham, Exeter, etc. But there has been some games against the better sides where we have been like the latter too, so our approach / tactics are very inconsistent from game to game so you never know.

If it was down to me I'd go 4231

Tickle

Hughes
Morrison
Kerr
Chambers

Matt Smith
Shaw
Aasgaard

Humphrys
Jonny Smith
Magennis

Subs:
Amos, Goode(Watts), Adeeko, McManaman, Kelman, Godo, Scott Smith

I don't think we'll see a back 4 again this season.

If we do play wing backs i'd like us to play the left footer on the left and right footer on the right to help us get crosses in.

Playing as an inverted winger can work if you are closer to goal and can cut inside and shoot, but playing as an inverted wing backs doesn't work as well - as you are generally getting the ball slightly deeper and wider and in positions where cutting inside doesn't get you into a shooting position. The wing back position is generally more favourable for getting in crosses and cutting back onto your favoured foot rarely seems to produce as good a ball as going down the outside onto your favoured foot.

I think this is the reason so many of Jones crosses his the first man and i think Smith's pace and crossing ability are both negatively impacted by the fact he has to cut inside when on the right. He skins his men then instead of using the space to get the ball in, he has to effectively turn around give up the space he earned, let their man catch up then take him on again to find space to get into a crossing position on his favoured foot. The games against Cheltenham in particular it was screaming out for Smith and McMannaman to swop sides.

No problem playing someone like Godo inverted as a winger, as i think he isn't good at getting down the line and crossing and better at cutting inside to shoot on his favoured foot. But i think wing backs you are better being on your natural side.

We are at our best when we press teams high and have that urgency and intensity that we previously showed against you and it's difficult for you to deal with.

Unfortunately we don't do it every game, some games we are so passive and just let teams have all the time and space in the world on the ball and they nearly always punish us. As you say if we do that with you we'll get battered.

We have tender to do the former more against the better sides in the division, so we hope we see that from us tomorrow night, so i'm a bit more optimistic we'll turn up for this one than i was against the likes of Cheltenham, Exeter, etc. But there has been some games against the better sides where we have been like the latter too, so our approach / tactics are very inconsistent from game to game so you never know.
Careful what you post KDZ. You might be replying to Mr Evatt himself.

Wanderers clash​

Shaun Maloney wants Wigan Athletic to 'just go for it' against neighbours Bolton Wanderers - and 'leave it all out there'.

Well I hope he's true to his words & it's a similar display to the one we produced at the Tough Sh@t stadium in August

Last edited:
We’re weakest when teams press us high. Also when you came to the TS earlier in the season Humphrey’s murdered us by exploiting the space behind our wingbacks and he and Wyke benefitted for it. He was also very physical something we also struggle with. If as you say you stay back I guarantee we’ll do you but if you get in our faces from the off and intimidate us as you have in both your recent visits I think we’ll struggle.

We may have got results recently other than yesterday obviously but we’re way off form and Evatt’s insistence with chopping and changing personnel plus the tippy tappy on what will probably be a bumpy surface after the rugby certainly won't suit us. It’s going to be a tough one, it always is against you boys and if we’re even slightly in the generous mood we were on Saturday we’ll get tonked. Hopefully we won’t be, it’s a cracking match and the team that deserves to win does so. 😉
Tippy happy! We've seen enough of that crap to last the next ten years.

I fear a pasting tomorrow and may not bother going, it'll be bad enough taking a tonking then we'll have the knuckle draggers taking the piss, no thanks!

Wanderers clash​

Shaun Maloney wants Wigan Athletic to 'just go for it' against neighbours Bolton Wanderers - and 'leave it all out there'.

Well I hope he's true to his words & it's a similar display to the one we produced at the Tough Sh@t stadium in August

Why just against Bowton? Surely we should be going for it every game instead of boring everyone rigid.

It really is a massive game for Maloney. Beat these again and it'll buy him a huge amount of goodwill and time with skeptic fans even if we go on and flop for the rest of the season. Lose though, especially if we do so meekly and the calls will grow louder and wider.

I'd take a draw, which is a big deal for me considering my usual mentality towards home league fixtures. I personally think our fate will be decided by three things. How we defend against that big **** Bodvarsson, whether Humphrys can be arsed or not, how Maloney utilises McManaman. If it's a 10-20 minute cameo in the second half, then we'll get beat.

It really is a massive game for Maloney. Beat these again and it'll buy him a huge amount of goodwill and time with skeptic fans even if we go on and flop for the rest of the season. Lose though, especially if we do so meekly and the calls will grow louder and wider.

I'd take a draw, which is a big deal for me considering my usual mentality towards home league fixtures. I personally think our fate will be decided by three things. How we defend against that big **** Bodvarsson, whether Humphrys can be arsed or not, how Maloney utilises McManaman. If it's a 10-20 minute cameo in the second half, then we'll get beat.

I think it's most likely Humps and McMannaman will be on the bench but we could still do well like we did a few weeks ago against Peterbough if we do all of the other things that we did in that game, the pressing, tempo, work rate, intensity etc. Which was similar to what we did in the last Bolton game. The high press in particular was very effective in our last game against them - so i think i think how effectively we press will be pivotal for us again.

Another huge thing is if we start Magennis and how well he plays, we know he's not very good, but if he doesn't play the target man role no one does and the whole team struggles when the ball can't stick when played forward. He rarely plays great but if he can hold at least it makes a world of difference.

I doubt you’ll have to worry too much about Bod Latic because with Dion Charles back from injury I suspect that Bod will be on the bench again with either Adebojeyo or Collins starting. We don’t know if Santos will get his red card overturned, he certainly should do because the ref got the rule wrong and it should only have been yellow if anything. Either way if he’s not Toal will take the middle position and we have plenty choice for either side.

We can’t afford a draw after Saturday so we’ll certainly be going all out for the 3 points as this is our game in hand and we need to win it. You always seem to pull something out against Wanderers though so I’m expecting it to be a tough hard fought battle. It’s a while since we beat you home or away so we definitely owe you one and I hope it comes tomorrow night but I’m not putting my money on it. 😉

Bolton manager will have done his homework on us telling his players how we pass across the back. They won’t allow us to do. This can see a clanger being dropped. Just pray the Brentford man is still injured. Or any thing can happen

Bolton manager will have done his homework on us telling his players how we pass across the back. They won’t allow us to do. This can see a clanger being dropped. Just pray the Brentford man is still injured. Or any thing can happen
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
May I remind you that you were very recently (ie yesterday) berating our own manager for spending too much time thinking about the opposition !

So, is doing homework on the opposition a good thing, or a bad thing? Make your mind up.

If they press us, then it's up to us to break it down. We've done that before, quite successfully ... let's see what happens before writing us off. That said, I'm with CL in that I wouldn't be unhappy with a draw ... though of course, I believe we can take all 3 points. We might not, but we certainly can.

My thoughts too but if he does let the shackles off the team, they have a proper go & battle hard it'll do for me 😉
Totally agree and me too.

But.....If Tinkerbell does take the shackles off and we have a proper go then he's setting a precedence for the rest of the season the fans will want more of the same.

So does SM stick with those tactics or does he go back to boring the balls of everyone, he'll have got himself in a bit of a pickle won't he?

Totally agree and me too.

But.....If Tinkerbell does take the shackles off and we have a proper go then he's setting a precedence for the rest of the season the fans will want more of the same.

So does SM stick with those tactics or does he go back to boring the balls of everyone, he'll have got himself in a bit of a pickle won't he?
His mentor took the shackles off now and again and when he did look at the results.
Run in to 2011/12 season and Everton and Manchester City in 2012/13. Must have been a couple more examples.
Horwich are hardly a big scalp and are not that brilliant from what I hear from a few of their fans.