Bolton and Birmingham potential points deductions | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bolton and Birmingham potential points deductions

Well I am a long standing fan from non league days & this is the first I have heard of this allegation or fact as you call it !

I can assure you that it is fact.
I can’t remember the exact amount but Gage went over the books and a certain amount couldn’t be accounted for.
Gage sued him & Kenyon gave an interview in one of the Wigan papers where he said he denied the allegation and he was surprised it was being brought up at that time as he (Kenyon) was having Latics fans begging him to come back.
Following that the Latic Fanatic fanzine has a cover gag that had a headline of “Latics fans gather for we want Kenyon back meeting” and a photo that consisted of one old bloke sat on a bench

Several months later it was revealed that the case had been settled out of court with Kenyon paying Gage an undisclosed amount

You’re probably talking 93/94ish

Eddie Davies:
THE man who bankrolled Bolton Wanderers' most successful modern era has passed away at the age of 72 just announced.
RIP.

Don't have any sympathy for Bolton fans kdz. They're a horrible set of barstewards and deserve everything what's coming to them.

If this was happening to us do you think they'd be sympathetic? Would they hell.
They took great pleasure laughing at us on the early 90s as we headed towards oblivion and they got back into the upper tiers of English football.

Every club has a set of horrible obnoxious fans - most of them making themselves look daft trying to wind everyone up on social media these days. But you can't condemn them all on the behaviour of a few we come accross.

If we were in that mess their trolls would be giving it large just like ours are to them now. Still sad when any decent fan sees the club they love in such a state. It could so easily have been us in a mess like this if Whelan wasnt such a good owner.

Last edited:
Don't have any sympathy for Bolton fans kdz. They're a horrible set of barstewards and deserve everything what's coming to them.

If this was happening to us do you think they'd be sympathetic? Would they hell.
They took great pleasure laughing at us on the early 90s as we headed towards oblivion and they got back into the upper tiers of English football.

Can easily say the same about us, arguably even more so. Especially the morons chanting about muamba, that isn't banter it's tasteless.

I went to school in horwich so have alot of friends who support bolton who gave plenty of stick when we lost, as much as I gave stick when they did. So seeing seeing them worry and get frustrated at the incompetence of the fat cats above in the awful position they've been in the past 3 years, I feel for them but am happy we got responsible owners and board. Yeah I had a lityle laugh with them about it but I wouldn't wish it on any club.

Well I am a long standing fan from non league days & this is the first I have heard of this allegation or fact as you call it !
Like you GT1978 I too am a long standing fan from our days in the NPL. I think your memory is probably a little foggy on this, as happens to us all by the way, MB is right that there were indeed problems with the accounts around that time and indeed there was talk of the fraud squad being involved, however it was settled out of court and brushed under the carpet. I became aware of it from a director of the club at the time who told me that he had spent weeks sorting through the clubs accounts due to anomalies in the figures. However I am not sure if it was during Kenyons tenure or that of Freddie Pye. Perhaps others have a better recollection.

I wasn’t a Latics fan during the Freddie Pye era so what I remember was definitely around Kenyon after Gage had taken over.

That’s not to say something didnt happen to the accounts during Freddie Pye’s reign (I’ve heard a few non-Latics stories about him too) but its not what I’m referring to

It appears Bolton have succesfully come to some agreement with their creditors and officially avoided admin and the points deduction.

Sounds like Bolton got lucky but i cant see how they can keep getting away with this. It's criminal the club is allowed to not pay former players wages and still owes them money months later while making new signings and paying 5 and 6 figure sums.

Birmingham City will be deducted nine points by the English Football League for breaching profitability and sustainability rules, reports BBC WM.

The sanction would see Blues drop from 13th to 18th in the Championship, five points above the relegation zone with eight games to play.

Attachments

• _106138376_tableafternew.jpg
    _106138376_tableafternew.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1
Personally I have sympathy with them. The rules are a mess and seem to be applied inconsistently. Bolton meanwhile don't pay players or staff, take players on loan don't pay them, don't pay clubs transfer fees owned and are facing winding up orders every other month and the efl take no action. In short invest and pay your bills and the efl will be all over you like a rash, don't pay your bills and bring the game into disrepute and they'll turn a blind eye. Organisation is in clear need of an overhaul

Cheers for posting Sid .... They got 9 instead of 12 ... which helps them a bit.

Have to ask (and be careful at the same time) .... does Harry Redknapp bear any responsibility for any of this ?
Hey big Spender.jpg

Is there a down side for us ? Given that we play them on the penultimate game of the season, they would almost certainly have had nothing to play for pre points deduction, to be honest there's a good chance they still won't have anything to play for, but if they do it will make it harder for us.

Edit. just noticed they have Rotherham away the week before us, lets hope they need a win there to be safe and they get it.

Looking at Birminghams upcoming games West Brom away, Leeds and Sheff United at home means if we could pick up a win against Brentford we could jump them and sit above them for a couple of weeks.

Birminghams final games are Ipswich away, Derby home, Rotherham away, us at home and then Reading away. So they will have every opportunity to save themselves with those six pointers.

I still fully expect Birmingham to stay up but i was expecting them to be a soft touch and not win many as they had nothing to play for. But now they have something to play it makes our game against them potentially tougher but also they may do us a favour against Rotherham and Reading.

Fingers crossed they do Rotherham for us and make themselves safe before then downing tools and looking forward to their holidaysfor the following game against us!

Also worth noting this comes at a really bad time for Birmingham as their form has taken a real dive in reccent weeks and they head into 3 horrible fixutes.

Cheers for posting Sid .... They got 9 instead of 12 ... which helps them a bit.

Have to ask (and be careful at the same time) .... does Harry Redknapp bear any responsibility for any of this ?
View attachment 31955
Harry only spends the money clubs give him to spend, and if any other manager was offered the budgets Harry was granted at those clubs at those times you can be sure they would've spent just as much. Managers always want as big a budget as possible and if the CEO gives it to them you can't expect a manager not to spend it. I think to blame Redknapp for the financial risks the owners were willing to take is deflection from their poor decision making.

Harry may convince them it's a good gamble and not deliver the results he promised possible with such levels of spending - but this is football nothing is guarenteed and every manager will promise to reward your faith if you just give them more money - you can't take anything as a given. If you're in charge of the finances you do the risk vs reward calculation and clearly most of Harrys chairmen gambled way more than they should've. Harry may have failed but ultimately he's not the one in charge of the finances so i'd say it's not as much his fault as it is those who allowed him to spend them into oblivion.

Re Redknapp I understand why the comparison is there. However ultimately it isnt his cash that is spent - no matter how persuasive he maybe.

This is a breach over a three year average - in excess of 39 million. It is likely they will be in breach next season too. Do they get another points penalty? Several other worried clubs going forward who will be in breach.

Whilst I appreciate that Birmingham have been sleep walking towards mid table safety lately and probably finding it hard to motivate themselves they are currently right near the bottom of the form table.

I understand they now have something to play for but it's pretty hard just to flick that switch again and pick up the form.

They are deep in the shit now, especially with the games they've got left. The sooner we get above them the better as I think thy may continue to struggle.

Re Redknapp I understand why the comparison is there. However ultimately it isnt his cash that is spent - no matter how persuasive he maybe.

This is a breach over a three year average - in excess of 39 million. It is likely they will be in breach next season too. Do they get another points penalty? Several other worried clubs going forward who will be in breach.

I believe it is a rolling 3 year period so potentially yes but their embargo this season in theory should prevent that.

They refused to sell Che Adams for 12m to balance the books in January and that apparently upset the powers that be overseeing this. So i don't think they've been given any sympathy.