Birmingham pub bombings | Vital Football

Birmingham pub bombings

SKEGGY

Bringer Of The Seasons
Just heard on the wireless that a judge has ordered a new inquest into the Birmingham pub bombings. Sure to stir up all multitude of feelings amongst people but hopefully give those who lost loved ones some sort of closure.

Reactions: TLP
Only right too everything about this case has been corrupt from day one, the perpetrators and authorities should be made accountable no matter what shit it stirs up just like Hillsborough the families deserve answers and ultimately justice.

To misquote Shakespeare, this was a Tragedy Of Errors.
RIP to those who died and huge sympathy to those who were injured, bereaved or otherwise affected.
At this stage, some or all of the perpetrators may be dead (they'll certainly be getting on) but getting a fuller - and more accurate - picture would be a worthwhile endeavour.

My late Uncle was caught up in the B'ham pub bombings. He had just left work when they happened. He worked for New Street Midland bank as it was then. I remember how bitter and hurt he was over it all. He never really recovered emotionally from it.

What a shameful period in Brum's history.

The real tragedy is that the real bombers never saw justice because the establishment couldn't admit its mistake.

I suppose someone should be time for fitting up those innocent men but there doesn't seem much point now.

RIP the innocent victims of this most heinous of crimes.

From today's IRISH INDEPENDENT

Relatives of those killed in the Birmingham pub bombings have called for the surviving bombers, three of whom are understood to be living in Dublin, to "come forward".
It is understood three of the pub bombers are now living in the Irish capital. The identities of those responsible are believed to be known to the British security services.
Asked what message she had for the IRA bombers, Julie Hambleton, whose 18-year-old sister Maxine was killed in the double bombings, said: "Do the right thing. If you have any level of humanity and any moral compass, then by rights you should come forward."
She was speaking after a coroner ruled yesterday that fresh inquests into the deaths would be held, following a legal bid led by Ms Hambleton and the families of two other victims.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-of-the-surviving-birmingham-pub-bombers-living-in-dublin-34766531.html

Awhile I expect and Blair's government probably wrote them all a lovely letter telling how they would not be prosecuted incase it upset his besties Adams and McGuiness.

BodyButter - 2/6/2016 10:24

How long have British security services known their identities?

I think they've known from several years before the Birmingham Six were released.

From today's IRISH INDEPENDENT

'I've been reading all about the Birmingham pub bombings," wrote a commentator last week on that invaluable blogsite, www.sluggerotoole.com, "and it seems they were entirely the police's fault. Funny old world, innit." "Most IRA crimes are the fault of the police," responded another mordantly. "The remainder are the fault of the victims."
Plenty of arguments in this particular punch-up were summarised trenchantly by a contributor called MainlandUlsterman: "My observation is that there seems to be an agenda-owning process around terrorist crimes where people sympathetic to the terrorists seek to get as many column inches as possible on the policing operation, whatever the terrorist crime, and as few as possible on dissecting the terrorism itself. They do that by a relentless focus on policing while maintaining a relative silence on the terrorism. The most recent Birmingham pub bombings coverage is a case in point."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ruth-dudley-edwards/dont-let-the-guilty-get-away-with-it-34773230.html

42 years ago today.

RIP. And still there is unfinished business.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-six-justice4the21-more-everything-12204513

When first mentioned I thought a new inquest was a bad idea which was likely to achieve little.

Still think any prosecutions are unlikely, but really hope the families of the victims at least learn the truth. Best of luck to them, did no government papers 30 years on offer no insight?

There are a number of names out there, some published in the Birmingham Mail. Some are dead some not. Some named by Paddy Hill from his own investigations. Just look on Wiki.
I remember the morning after the bombs , I went to school and the atmosphere was really dark. The desire for retribution was very high. Not a nice time.

Biggest loser from an inquest is the British government imo. IRA atrocities are widely known, the cover-up will be the big story, as in many cases. When my home village was bombed by the IRA, no-one was prosecuted due to the involvement of a clergyman, with the potential ramifications of going against the church outweighing any pro's created by an attempt at justice. Government placed politics above all else.

Those shady fuckers set up the Chilcot Inquiry to avoid blame. So even when it came out that the war was completely unjustified and Blair lied over and over again to justify the unjustifiable, it would find that the war war was unjustified but nobody was directly to blame.

They all watch each others backs, the sleazy pedos.

NI Villan - 22/11/2016 01:03

Biggest loser from an inquest is the British government imo. IRA atrocities are widely known, the cover-up will be the big story, as in many cases. When my home village was bombed by the IRA, no-one was prosecuted due to the involvement of a clergyman, with the potential ramifications of going against the church outweighing any pro's created by an attempt at justice. Government placed politics above all else.

Have you seen the film '71? It would be interesting to know how much of that was going on.

The families of Birmingham pub bombing victims say they have been refused legal aid to challenge a ruling that suspects should not be named.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-41980800