Bands You Wish You had seen... | Page 14 | Vital Football

Bands You Wish You had seen...

Dylan was at Birmingham NEC.
Ultra expensive. He played very few songs.
Sound was awful. Hardly any of his major hits. We all thought it was dreadful.

Teardrop Explodes was a Uni gig. I basically went to see anyone who turned up. They weren't very good at all and Mr Cope was a total poser. (Oddly my own little band also had a Mr Cope, fortunately no relation as far as he knew!).

Napalm Death...not my choice but next door neighbour had a nephew come to stay during his college holiday and his one request was he wanted to be taken to a local Napalm Death gig. I got a knock on the door and asked to take him! Thrash metal seemed a bit beyond me!!

Oh and Kid Creole was another of my random Uni gigs. They were fairly crap!

One other I should have added was the Damned. Treated the gathered audience like shit. Support band did their 15/20 mins around 8pm and then we all waited and waited, and waited and waited, and waited and...waited. eventually it got to well after 11pm and all we could see was the Damned through a window at back of stage, basically laughing at us. They simply didn't come out!
A near riot was ensuing and venue refused to refund us. By midnight we'd all been cleared out. Never went back to that place nor tried ever again to see the Damned.
I did fear that might happen with Dylan, playing some gospel stuff or other. newer 'meh' stuff rather than what you want to hear. I've been there with going to see lots of bands for a while too, mostly good, some crap. Half the fun is not knowing what you'll get!

I'd have been fuming if I paid to see a band who refused to play! Unlucky not getting refunded either. Sounds like a right shower of *****.

Before my time but I would have loved to go to a Syd Barratt Pink Floyd gig. I never got to see the Stone Roses and would love to go to Green Day. I also never saw the Beta Band either so that is a regret.

Excellent programme BBC4 tonight on “Lindisfarne’s Geordie Genius” Alan Hull. They would have been a band to see in the North East in their day.
Was a really good program.

If anyone on here dislikes Tories, then the program is worth watching on iPlayer. Alan Hull was one of the best left wing singer song writers, poets?, of that era. A Labour activist he performed gigs for the miners and ship yard workers.

Notty would have loved him.

If anyone on here dislikes Tories, then the program is worth watching on iPlayer. Alan Hull was one of the best left wing singer song writers, poets?, of that era. A Labour activist he performed gigs for the miners and ship yard workers.

Most folk acts are at least a bit leftie. Dick Gaughan - who I've seen - very much so. Ewan McColl - instrumental in the folk revival of the 50s and 60s - the same. Guthrie, Dylan in America. Show of Hands and at the punky end of the spectrum, The Levellers.

Music of the people, by the people and for the people. 😉

Before my time but I would have loved to go to a Syd Barratt Pink Floyd gig. I never got to see the Stone Roses and would love to go to Green Day. I also never saw the Beta Band either so that is a regret.

The Beta Band were fantastic. Steve Mason is still pretty prolific and I would definitely recommend seeing him live if you get the chance.

The Stone Roses I love but were, frankly, shite when I saw them live, both first time round and when they reformed a few years ago.

I think music surpasses tribal allegiances. Plenty of "Tories" would like the program. It is something I read a lot on forums. Assumptions that liking a certain artist or band means you must have the same political allegiances which if true would mean they would only have had half the audience and sales they have seeing as "there aren't (m)any" right wing acts*.

Me? I'm more into the music than the words. Left wing or right wing (are there any) if my foot is tapping away then they've got me.

Excellent programme BBC4 tonight on “Lindisfarne’s Geordie Genius” Alan Hull. They would have been a band to see in the North East in their day.
Saw Lindisfarne twice back in the late 80s at The Ritz (Odeon) when they brought their Xmas show to Lincoln. They were absolutely superb on both occasions.

Last edited:
Don't know if others have picked this up, but John Miles passed away at the weekend, age 72. Didn't see him live, but still occasionally play an LP of his I bought in the mid 70s

Don't know if others have picked this up, but John Miles passed away at the weekend, age 72. Didn't see him live, but still occasionally play an LP of his I bought in the mid 70s

I know his hit "Music", but that's about all.

I know his hit "Music", but that's about all.

Yes, I think he enjoyed success around the 70s/80s, and then became one of those musicians who made a living from touring abroad and playing with other personalities. The LP I have is "Stranger in the City" and he had some singles off that - worth a listen to some of the tracks, but will obviously be very period now

Went to see an AC DC tribute band at The Engine Shed last night. Great night out. Last time I saw the real AC DC was at Monsters of Rock at Donnington in 1984, along with Ozzy and Van Halen. Took me straight back to my misspent youth at Trilbys back in the very early 80s, when Lincoln had a very vibrant rock scene. Great days. Hair is a lot shorter now (nearly non existent now!) than it was then.

Went to see Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds at the Leeds Arena last night. It was fantastic. Would thoroughly recommend it. To make it a bit more special Jeff himself was conducting the orchestra and Justin Hayward sang Forever Autumn, amongst other songs. With Covid 19 and the war in Ukraine, the story line seemed more relevant than ever.

Went to see Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds at the Leeds Arena last night. It was fantastic. Would thoroughly recommend it. To make it a bit more special Jeff himself was conducting the orchestra and Justin Hayward sang Forever Autumn, amongst other songs. With Covid 19 and the war in Ukraine, the story line seemed more relevant than ever.

The chances of me seeing that are a million to one...

Just got tickets for China Crisis at a small place just outside of Barnsley. I love a bit of 80s music, reminds me of carefree times.