Bands You Wish You had seen... | Page 13 | Vital Football

Bands You Wish You had seen...

In the early days of HW, DikMik and Del would compete to see who could induce bouts of vomiting and loss of balance through playing with oscillators and signal generators and producing "noises" beyond the scope of human hearing.

I certainly recall gigs where you felt the music as much as you heard it.

A more recent recording with Dibs and Niall both playing bass resonates too...

Ah yes, resonant denim vibration! 😁

I did see Whitesnake a couple of times - Nottingham 84 and the less preferable 'US' line-up at the NEC later that decade - but only found out this week that their very first gig was at Lincoln Tech College, 3rd March 1978. Surely someone on here was one of the 200 in attendance?

I'd say it was a gig I wish I'd seen, but I was 9, so would have been a bit unlikely (even if it had been even closer, in Washingborough Village Hall, say).

Came up on a podcast that had original guitarist Bernie Marsden guesting, talking about his book detailing his career from late 60s onward (which sounds good). He also revealed that he hasn't really had to work since the re-recorded version of Here I Go Again (which Bernie co-wrote in 82, actually he had the original idea, Coverdale brushed it up a bit) hit Number 1 in the US in the late 80s.

I did see Whitesnake a couple of times - Nottingham 84 and the less preferable 'US' line-up at the NEC later that decade - but only found out this week that their very first gig was at Lincoln Tech College, 3rd March 1978. Surely someone on here was one of the 200 in attendance?

I'd say it was a gig I wish I'd seen, but I was 9, so would have been a bit unlikely (even if it had been even closer, in Washingborough Village Hall, say).

Came up on a podcast that had original guitarist Bernie Marsden guesting, talking about his book detailing his career from late 60s onward (which sounds good). He also revealed that he hasn't really had to work since the re-recorded version of Here I Go Again (which Bernie co-wrote in 82, actually he had the original idea, Coverdale brushed it up a bit) hit Number 1 in the US in the late 80s.

I quite like the early 80s double live album with Moody & Marsden when they were a blues influenced heavy-rock outfit, really. Some of the lyrics don't stand up to much scrutiny these days, mind.

Coverdale's voice went completely in the 90s. Not sure if he's recovered. I didn't much take to their essentially US incarnation.

Coverdale's voice went completely in the 90s. Not sure if he's recovered.

My mate, who accompanied me to the gigs that I mentioned, and who was a bigger Whitesnake fan than me, went to see them again 3-4 years ago and reported it was disappointing, precisely because Coverdale's voice is shot. Such a shame. Whether you like the hard rock style that he pursued or not, he had a fantastic bluesy/soulful voice in his prime.

Was there something in the water in the Middlesbrough area, in the post-war years? Our friend, Chuck Prophet, posed that question last week on his radio show, after playing the sublime My Brother Jake by Free. Paul Rodgers, an even better singer than Coverdale. Chuck speculated that it was something to do with outhouses.

There's another singer from that area, with similar voice, nagging away in my mind. Can't think who though.

My mate, who accompanied me to the gigs that I mentioned, and who was a bigger Whitesnake fan than me, went to see them again 3-4 years ago and reported it was disappointing, precisely because Coverdale's voice is shot. Such a shame. Whether you like the hard rock style that he pursued or not, he had a fantastic bluesy/soulful voice in his prime.

Was there something in the water in the Middlesbrough area, in the post-war years? Our friend, Chuck Prophet, posed that question last week on his radio show, after playing the sublime My Brother Jake by Free. Paul Rodgers, an even better singer than Coverdale. Chuck speculated that it was something to do with outhouses.

There's another singer from that area, with similar voice, nagging away in my mind. Can't think who though.

Well, I've just Googled it and Chris Rhea comes up, although I'm not entirely sure that's who you might be thinking of.

Well, I've just Googled it and Chris Rhea comes up, although I'm not entirely sure that's who you might be thinking of.

Yes. I did similar - slow work Friday - and have decided I'm imagining a third party in my Middlesbrough singers hall of fame. Unless you count that lad who won X Factor (and I don't, no offence to him).

Chris Rea has a fine, distinctive, raspy voice but not sure he's at Coverdale-level, and definitely not on a par with Rodgers.

Free - probably another band I'd like to have seen, but I was far too young. Didn't Rogers, rather oddly, end up with Queen for a while?

David Kossof an excellent blues-rock guitarist and died tragically young from the ever-predictable 60s/70s cause.

Free - probably another band I'd like to have seen, but I was far too young. Didn't Rogers, rather oddly, end up with Queen for a while?

David Kossof an excellent blues-rock guitarist and died tragically young from the ever-predictable 60s/70s cause.

Wasn't that Paul Kossoff? David was his father, the actor

And Chuck has a radio show. Who knew? Is it on WXQTLM, or something? :lol:

It's on an internet-only station called Gimme Country. It's a brilliant show, called A Trip In The Country. Don't be fooled by name, he plays as much surf/rockabilly/garage rock as he does country. Chuck knows his stuff. Only problem is that you can only listen live, there's no iplayer/podcast-type facility, so either tune in on Friday night, or repeated lunchtime on Saturday (runs into pre-match build-up for me).

Yep. As part of May & Taylor's continuing quest to destroy their legacy.

Last edited:
Wish I'd never seen:

Bob Dylan
Napalm Death
Teardrop Explodes
Kid Creole & The Coconuts
What was the reason for each of these? I nearly went to see Dylan around 2009 but the ticket price was too much...if I'd paid it it would've meant living exclusively off Tesco value bread for a month or two.

What was the reason for each of these? I nearly went to see Dylan around 2009 but the ticket price was too much...if I'd paid it it would've meant living exclusively off Tesco value bread for a month or two.

I would imagine anything could happen at a Teardrop Explodes gig, Cope renowned for being completely off his rocker or a total genius depending on your point of view

Dylan was at Birmingham NEC.
Ultra expensive. He played very few songs.
Sound was awful. Hardly any of his major hits. We all thought it was dreadful.

Teardrop Explodes was a Uni gig. I basically went to see anyone who turned up. They weren't very good at all and Mr Cope was a total poser. (Oddly my own little band also had a Mr Cope, fortunately no relation as far as he knew!).

Napalm Death...not my choice but next door neighbour had a nephew come to stay during his college holiday and his one request was he wanted to be taken to a local Napalm Death gig. I got a knock on the door and asked to take him! Thrash metal seemed a bit beyond me!!

Oh and Kid Creole was another of my random Uni gigs. They were fairly crap!

One other I should have added was the Damned. Treated the gathered audience like shit. Support band did their 15/20 mins around 8pm and then we all waited and waited, and waited and waited, and waited and...waited. eventually it got to well after 11pm and all we could see was the Damned through a window at back of stage, basically laughing at us. They simply didn't come out!
A near riot was ensuing and venue refused to refund us. By midnight we'd all been cleared out. Never went back to that place nor tried ever again to see the Damned.