AV40 - 40th anniversary tribute | Page 4 | Vital Football

AV40 - 40th anniversary tribute

Such a shame their anniversary has coincided with this damn pandemic. It has ruined their plans for appearances and events.

Who would have thought that those 7 words would have such a lasting effect. ?

Would have been interesting if there had been a forum in those days after the Ipswich game as well lol.
I was unable to go to the match as I was working on the night shift at IMI in Witton. I was shift supervisor and was one of a team of three. We could usually cope if one of us was off on leave but that week there was already one off and I couldn't book the night off to go to the match. Being that close to Villa Park you could see the lights and hear the roar. In the factory - on nights at least - we allowed operators to have radios at their work stations and I got constant updates as I went around the shop floor. Obviously, there were quite a few Bluenoses and Baggies that worked there, butas we were in Witton, it was mainly Villa fans. There were cheers from the 'inferiors' when Ipswich scored and at the final whistle. It was a long night until 7:00 the next morning having to face those jeering workers and I was glad to get home to bed. On the 6:00 clock Central news the next day they replayed the goals and the interview with Ron Saunders and those famous words really resonated and at that point I knew we were going to do it. I lost count of the number of times I quoted that phrase that night at work when taunted by Noses and Baggies telling me that we had blown it.
Roll forward to that great day in May and yet another roller coaster episode, but more on that in a few weeks.
"Do you want to bet against us?"