AV40 - 40th anniversary tribute | Page 2 | Vital Football

AV40 - 40th anniversary tribute

Dennis and Ken liked your poem starchild65, sorry, meant to let you know yesterday!

its an honour for me just to have these Villa icons read it. I hope it rekindles the memories of that magic time for all who look at it. I did cheat a bit - I had to look at the fixture list and results for that season lol

its an honour for me just to have these Villa icons read it. I hope it rekindles the memories of that magic time for all who look at it. I did cheat a bit - I had to look at the fixture list and results for that season lol

OOooh, now you tell me! I did say it amazes me, with my brain damage, how people remember everything. If folks hadn't seen me at games, they'd think I was a liar and I'd never been. I can only remember little snippets really. Which come to think of it, is probably better than what you lot have to do, remembering every last bit of the rubbish we've played in the last 10 years ! LOL

Forty quid for the hardback edition - strewth! Will be ordering one though, looking forward to a feet up glass of red Sunday afternoon with it. So this means we have one league title in the last 111 years - blimey.

Forty quid for the hardback edition - strewth! Will be ordering one though, looking forward to a feet up glass of red Sunday afternoon with it. So this means we have one league title in the last 111 years - blimey.

yeah, it is the signed limited edition. the softback for a tenner is a good shout for those who don't want the limited one though.

Been sent a few proofs and also a couple of their other (non Villa) books and have to say, they are a quality set up.

Mine ordered and paid for. Can't wait to see it. Had to pay over the phone in the end as the site was playing up. Had a great chat with Jim over the phone.
There will be some great memories in reading the book but it will also be tinged with sadness. My mom died suddenly at the age of 52 in September 1980 and she left behind a devastated husband and two heart broken sons. All three of us were Villa season ticket holders and looking forward to Saturday's and the great football that Villa played that season helped to take our minds off our sadness.
Mom was a staunch Blues fan having worked in Small Heath in the early 50's and got to know many of their players who used the same coffee shop at lunch times. Even though she was of 'the other persuasion', Mom would have been delighted that Villa became Champions in 81.
Sadly, my Dad and brother have both joined the Holte Enders in the Sky and will not able to enjoy the book and reminisce in the way that I can, but they will be looking over my shoulder in spirit and cheering along.
VTID

Sorry to read all that claret & blue blood.
And what I didn't add to the original post Jon was the fact that my Mom died on my birthday and ever since birthdays have not been really happy occasions - it will be 40 years next month since her passing and whilst time is a healer, the pain never totally goes away.
VTID

(Just a note to all, a note I've done for 20 years now, I am not Jon or John, hate being called it, it isn't my name. Fear, Jonathan, J, JF, **** all fine :thumbup: )

My original preface before editing:

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...s-and-we-still-love-you-salute-you-thank-you/

and my poem to them!

Heady Days 80/81
80/81
The famous season
When our claret and blue heroes
Fought their lion’s hearts out
And the league was won.

A magic team
The skills, the goals, the victories, the fun
The beating heart of Villa,
The fans,
Had their season in the sun.

80/81
The famous season
OUR team of claret and blue heroes
Legends, each and every one
Led by the managers of all managers
The one, and only, Ron.

Was going to do this by private message, but thought twice, as it is so nice and Erod was thought of so highly by so many.

@Dumble @Wicked Messenger

Had a call from Sir Dennis Mortimer today, we talked about the book just out and promotion etc but the main thing was he was going through memorabilia and found some letters from someone called Robert Dore.

"Oh Rob, bless, gem of a man."

Oh you knew him, I hoped as much.

He read out some of his legendary letters and also a poem sent to Dennis. Was a lovely walk down memory lane. Also read something from the press, hadn't got a name on it, then he chuckled and said this was you wasn't it?! Yeah, think so. It name checked Dennis as Sir Dennis! lol

Thought you'd like to know. Such a shame, he would have rung him up and talked to him about these from all those years back. But we had a nice chuckle at Erod's passion and humour against Doug and for the Villa.

Was going to do this by private message, but thought twice, as it is so nice and Erod was thought of so highly by so many.

@Dumble @Wicked Messenger

Had a call from Sir Dennis Mortimer today, we talked about the book just out and promotion etc but the main thing was he was going through memorabilia and found some letters from someone called Robert Dore.

"Oh Rob, bless, gem of a man."

Oh you knew him, I hoped as much.

He read out some of his legendary letters and also a poem sent to Dennis. Was a lovely walk down memory lane. Also read something from the press, hadn't got a name on it, then he chuckled and said this was you wasn't it?! Yeah, think so. It name checked Dennis as Sir Dennis! lol

Thought you'd like to know. Such a shame, he would have rung him up and talked to him about these from all those years back. But we had a nice chuckle at Erod's passion and humour against Doug and for the Villa.

Aw, thanks Jon that is lovely. Yes Dad’s letters are legendary! He kept the replies from Villa managers in a folder, I remember looking through them with him a while back. I shall have to get them out again... :giggle:

I very vaguely remember briefly meeting Sir Dennis when I was younger, perhaps a shareholders event or something, and remember thinking how he seemed like a top bloke!

Thanks for sharing JF.

Remember meeting up with Rob at the Indian at the bottom of the hill in Stratford, forgotten the name. I don't think he'd ever been in a curry house before (?) the way he was asking what to do! I could be wrong, but it tickled me!

But yes, he had his folder and I'd taken some things from the old Shareholders Association etc to show him as well!